Let down

crackers24

Reaction score
What is a let down in breastfeeding terms? Sorry about the dunce question :?

It's basically when your milk starts flowing, usually triggered by your baby sucking, or even just crying. Well, any baby crying, if you're unlucky.

At the very beginning I turned into a fountain at the slightest noise from my daughter.

How interesting is that, I've never heard of this before.

Letdown is when hormones are triggered which in turn means that milk is "let down" from the milk glands into the milk ducts. It is usually triggered by baby sucking, but like WWM said it can occur when you hear a baby cry or even if you are slightly late for a feed. Some mums have a strong let down (mine feels like sharp pins and needles in my boob, it hurts lol), and other mums might not even feel it but that doesn't mean you are not producing milk.

Ooo i wondered what this was as it happens to me! Very odd feeling!

Beanie - Seren thinks Harry Hill is her grandad? :shock: :rotfl: awesome!

So when this happens, do you necessarily have to leak or is that just the case for some women?

Despite all the baby books I read I was totally unprepared for the 'let down' thing after the birth of my son.

Heavy sore boobs oozing milk was not fun....but then again, these things are for baby's benefit not mine so its a case of just having to get on with it.

All sorts would trigger it off...baby crying, feed time due, alarm clock...(im joking about the latter of course...but it was so uncomfortable it felt like everything and anything was setting it off)

It didnt help expressing milk (being the 'try to be efficient and always have a spare drink on hand' type I was) as just even seeing the expressing pump would set it off.

Looking back, all I recall soggy or milk-crusted breastpads stuck to me...peeling them off me in disgust and wanting my boobies to be discomfort-free again.

Im sure other people dont have such a negative memories...I just found the whole breast feeding thing a nightmare to get the hang of and deal with.

Mine used to make me cry! apparantly i have strong hormones :roll: OH had better watch out again!

The worst bit was when DS started getting nosey, he would suck like crazy, the let down would happen then he'd pull off to look at someting and whooosh milk everywhere, muslins were a god send!

let down is when the flow first gets going- it really hurts :(

baby takes about 3 sucks and then u feel the milk coming down- feels like crisscross wires going all tight across your boobs- but at the same time it feels lovely if that makes sense- its like a sense of relief (like being really thirsty and drinking a glass of water, or needing a wee for ages and finally going to the loo! :oops: )

also can be when baby is crying but ur not actually near the baby but ur body reacts to the crying by leaking- i always thought it looked like my boobs were copying because "they're crying, too"! LMAO

bizzygirl101 said:
The worst bit was when DS started getting nosey, he would suck like crazy, the let down would happen then he'd pull off to look at someting and whooosh milk everywhere, muslins were a god send!

Jessica isn't nosey but I think the let down shocks her as it really does pour out. She normally comes off choking and milk sprays everywhere (it has hit Neil when I have been feeding her in bed! :oops: ) and it hurts for a little while and then we both settle down and the rest of the feed was fine.

The thing that caught me out to begin with was that I feel the let down much stronger in the side she isn't feeding from and often have to wear a couple of breast pads because I will soak right through just one! :oops: I was feeding her at my mum's the other day and my brother thought I had spilt a drink down me as my top was so soaked! :rotfl:

It's so bizarre. In the early days it felt like someone turned a tap on at the top of your boobs and you feel them gush! It was quite painful. The days Angel used to get sprayed in the eye when she came off i had to laugh at or i'd cry! Lol I remember going to see my sister in hospital after she had her baby when Angel was 2 weeks old. I heard a baby cry and with that i needed a change of breastpads.
It does settle though. I don't really feel it anymore, unless she's late for a feed so i feel a huge amount of relief when she does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back