Breastfeeding...

lozzi

Reaction score
...another question for you ladies...

im after breastfeeding but what do i need...

obviously breastfeeding bras's

but wehn ive been looking in boots theres nipple creams... shields etc etc...

what do i need?

u should, in an ideal world, just need the right bra for easier feeding but u will need breast pads in case you leak and some nipple soothing cream cos u might get a bit raw!!

johnsons breastpads are the best iv found and lansinoh nipple cream is good cos u dont need to rub it off when u wana feed bubba!

Hi there

I would recommend you get yourself a tub of Lasinoh , it's pure lanolin and its FANTASTIC for healing sore nipples (also great on any skin area!) It's £9.95 but the tube will last you for years.

Breastpads - I bought disposables for the first few weeks but have used washable fabric ones for the past 5 months as I don't leak now (only a wee bit now and again).

Breastfeeding pillow? They are a v-shape and they cost about £19.99 from Argos or my sister got one for £9.99 in a local pillow shop. I didn't get one but I wish I had, small newborns take a while to feed so it's easier to have them lying on the pillow to feed

I can't think of anything else at the moment. Just to let you know there is a breastfeeding support thread at the top of the "Feeding and Nutrition" forum, lots of people offering great advice if you need any.

Lucy

o yeah, the pillows that Lucy said can be bought on ebay for less than a tenner - i bought a brand new hooge squishy one for a tenner with a lovely soft cover from one of the baby shops on there!! very comfy and practical!!

Yeah like the girls said, breastpads, nipple cream, nursing bras (M &S do packs of 1 black 1 white for £25)

Also I'd just look through your wardrobe and make sure you have a few baggy tops and a cardigan or hoody type top you can pull around to help hide things if your're gonna BF in public.

I had one of those cushions, the U shaped, one it was great.

Although if your vegitarian you might want to aviod the Lasinoh, as Lanolin is animal fat, so depends on yor view point on this, but you can get plently of other nipple creams on the market which dont contain lanolin.

Breast pads are a must even if your not BF, cause you will prob get some leakage to start with anyway. Just keep them in your bra all day and it will stop you getting any embarasing wet patches, same goes for at night, that was when I leaked most. So a comfortable niht bra would be usefull.

Once you milk comes in and your breasts become engourged, cabbage leaves stuffed in your bra will be a god send!

Also a lot of women find that when they feed from one breast the other leaks like mad, so you can get breast shells which you stick over the other nipple which catch any milk so it doesnt go to waste and you can pop it in a bottle or freeze.

Also make sure you have a comfortable chair to feed in which offers plenty of support, feeding can be a lengthy process, so you dont want your arm aching or a bad back from hunching over, either adapt a chair you have with the use of pillows or look at getting a nursing chair.

The main thing is the bra! Best to get one fitted if you can, but I also liked the 'sporty' type that fit a range of sizes.

I bought nipple cream, but never used it. It is a bit sore to begin with, but I could never bring myself to use it and have my tiny baby sucking on it.

Breast pads are absolutley essential in the early days and weeks!!

Baggy t-shirts are good for access. I had a shawl which I used when I was in public or my teenage stepson had his mates round. Don't really see the point of special breastfeeding tops.

I also bought the cunning devices for putting over the leaking breast to collect milk while you're feeding from the other breast. Waste of time and money!! Thought it wld be brilliant, but was more of a pain than anything.

I wld recommend getting a breast pump fairly early on as it really helps with the engorgement that happens at various points - mostly while baby and breast get in synch.

The special pillow is okay, but I found it easier to just pile up regular pillows and cushions as I needed them.

Good Luck!!!!

Cat&Noah said:
Although if your vegitarian you might want to aviod the Lasinoh, as Lanolin is animal fat,

Lanolin is the secretion from the sebasceous glands that goes onto the sheeps wool. It is then extracted from the wool and used in many household products and beauty products.

Lucy

Skidoo said:
The main thing is the bra! Best to get one fitted if you can, but I also liked the 'sporty' type that fit a range of sizes.

Don't really see the point of special breastfeeding tops.

I also bought the cunning devices for putting over the leaking breast to collect milk while you're feeding from the other breast. Waste of time and money.

Make sure you get measured regulary about 2 weeks before babe is born and then again about 2 months after. A good fitting bra is essential and will help prevent agains mastitis.

I never used any breast feeding tops they are all expensive -- just bought some button front nighties from matalan, and some baggy t shirts.

I found the breast shell that collect the milk useful at home when i was feeding but found them a faff out and about.

Always take a spare top with you when out in the first month! just incase of leakage!

Also find out when and where your local breast feeding support clinics are. That way if you have any problems (like I did) you know where to go for help.

I have big boobs and when my milk came in was so engorged and uncomfortable I cried! I was wearing a regular breastfeeding bra and in so much pain I went to a dept store and was fitted with an underwired nursing bra by Triumph, the relief was immediate, I didn't want to take the bra off! I know its recommended that you use non wired but this is a nursing bra and if you are big it really helps take the weight off and helps your back too. I bought 2 for £35 each but they are so worth it, I don't think I could have carried on with the weight and uncofortableness without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back