Large lump right breast. Breasfeeding or something worse?

KJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

recently I've been cutting back on my breastfeeding and I'm down to a morning and an evening feed. For his other 2 daytime feeds, I give him formula.

I was getting confused as my right breast seemed to be filling up much quicker than the left, which has never happened in 6 months of exclusively breastfeeding. Well this morning I fed him off the right side so It would be empty. I then did a breast exam and the top left hand quarter of the right breast is like one hard lump. Even when the rest of it is empty and floppy.

I'm really hoping this is just blocked ducts or something but I'm worried it could be something more sinister. Can you get cancer whilst breastfeeding? And what do you all think? Does this sound like something you or someone you know has been through wiith a happy outcome or should I be worried?

I'm going to the doctor this afternoon at 3pm so I really hope things are ok.

Please give me some hope?

K.xx

is it hot ? got a red patch on it ? do u feel fluey or have a temp ? ? thats how my mastitus started and it can be caused by blocked ducts . docs will know tho , good luck

oh if it is blocked ducts / mastitus nhs direct told me to have a hot shower with the water running on that breast and massage downwards and then to feed off it / express , it really helped me loads !

I found a hard lump in one of my breasts and was concerned about it, it seemed to appear overnight but didn't go away. I went to my GP who initially said it was a pregnancy thing and she said she could feel the same on the other breast (I couldn't). I wasn't really satisfied with her diagnosis so went to see another GP, she referred me to the breast clinic at the local hospital for an ultrasound. The ultrasound was fine, and it turned out it was just breast 'thickening'. Apparently this is common diring pregnancy / and for up to 2 years after, especially if breastfeeding.

I would say definately get it checked out and ask to be referred to a breast clinic for a scan. Am sure its fine but you should get it checked out. I read a statistic that 9/10 cases of women getting breast lumps checked are not cancer so chances are all is fine.

Good luck and don't let the Doc fob you off!

I have no advice but just wanted to say good luck at docs and let us know how you get on :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I found a lump when I was breastfeeding. Turned out to be a blocked duct :D Good luck at the Dr, best to go just to be reassured :hug:

I found a hard lump in one of my breasts and was concerned about it, it seemed to appear overnight but didn't go away. I went to my GP who initially said it was a pregnancy thing and she said she could feel the same on the other breast (I couldn't). I wasn't really satisfied with her diagnosis so went to see another GP, she referred me to the breast clinic at the local hospital for an ultrasound. The ultrasound was fine, and it turned out it was just breast 'thickening'. Apparently this is common diring pregnancy / and for up to 2 years after, especially if breastfeeding.

I would say definately get it checked out and ask to be referred to a breast clinic for a scan. Am sure its fine but you should get it checked out. I read a statistic that 9/10 cases of women getting breast lumps checked are not cancer so chances are all is fine.

erm .. sorry If I am confused here but.. so the first dr was right and didn't "fob you off" I'm not being funny but people keep posting how crap drs are and maybe I've been lucky but all the ones I've met have been really good.....

KJ- :hug: good that you are gettign this checked out :) cancer doesn't just turn up that quickly and if you are breastfeeding you will have been very aware of your breasts so would have noticed if somethign was slowly growing so don't worry - if you are otherwise well it sounds like a blocked duct or normal thickening like sunnyday had - hope all goes well at the drs.xx keep feeding normally and don't avoid using that side as if it is a blocked duct it will get worse if you don't feed and you could develop mastitis. good luck.xx

Hi all,

I've had mastitis before and it's definitely not that. It's not sore, doesn't hurt and isn't hot or red.

I was wondering why that one always felt fuller than the other recently, even when it had just been fed from.

I'm going to express before I go to the GP so he can feel the lump better. But I can't feed from it really often because I'm trying to cut down and that will only increase my milk supply which I definitely don't want to do. Neither breast is becoming engorged, I'm at the stage where they're comfortable with feeding 7am and 7pm.

Really hope it's good news at the GPs.

K.xx

:hug: get it checked, and don't panic :hug: it is always scary when something like this happens (I am really anxious so am usually convinced I have something nasty and worry until it goes away and I feel silly :oops: ) but you are doing the right thing. xx :hug:

smile said:

erm .. sorry If I am confused here but.. so the first dr was right and didn't "fob you off" I'm not being funny but people keep posting how crap drs are and maybe I've been lucky but all the ones I've met have been really good.....

KJ- :hug: good that you are gettign this checked out :) cancer doesn't just turn up that quickly and if you are breastfeeding you will have been very aware of your breasts so would have noticed if somethign was slowly growing so don't worry - if you are otherwise well it sounds like a blocked duct or normal thickening like sunnyday had - hope all goes well at the drs.xx keep feeding normally and don't avoid using that side as if it is a blocked duct it will get worse if you don't feed and you could develop mastitis. good luck.xx

Yes, in hindsight, the first Dr was right, but i didn't feel reassured and continued to feel worried and concerned about it. Also, I couldn't feel the same thickening in my other breast (and neither could the 2nd Dr or the sonographer) and this really made me want to get a second opinion and yes I did feel "fobbed off". Both doctors told me to go back to them if I still felt worried - and that's what I did.

I think the key thing for any woman who finds a lump or inconsistency with their breasts is they should seek as much reassurance and confirmation as necessary. For me that meant I wanted to have an ultrasound. The first Dr didn't think it was necessary - OK medically it wasn't as everything was fine - but it stopped me and my family worrying. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Well,

don't I feel the fool!

The GP told me to express before I came for my appointment so he could feel what was going on better.

So I dusted off my breast pump and got to it. It actually hurt to start with which has never happened before. I really massaged the hard area and kneaded it with my knuckles. I let the pump keep going until there was absolutely nothing left.

And guess what.... my breast was soft again!! Guess it was just blocked ducts. Needless to say, I called the surgery and cancelled my appointment.

Sorry for worrying everyone, I was really worried but I guess I should have thought about it a bit more.

Thanks for all your concerns and advice.

K.xxx

Great news! So pleased you got to the bottom of it and its nothing to worry about :D

Oh don't feel a fool :hug: Really really glad you are ok. Thanks for updating.

glad it turned out ok.. imagine what a bad case of masstittyitus that woulda turned out to be :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back