Help, large painful lump in breast

rachcraig

Reaction score
As the title says really, over this evening my left breast as become so full and painful. When I touch it I can feel a large hard lump at the top. Is this a blocked duct do you think? Has anyone had this before? I'm trying to continue feeding from that side but its so painful I can't lie on my left or even wear a bra tonight. I had a similar kind of pain (but no lump) when my milk first came through but I've been bf for 11 weeks now. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm stressing out a bit with the pain xx

Last edited:
Try having a hot bath or shower and massaging from the lumpfish (I love autocorrect - what on earth is a lumpfish?!) lump down towards the nipple. I had this a couple of times and it was so painful - like it was really badly bruised where the lump was. If it stays blocked you may develop mastitis though so if it doesn't start to improve soon or you feel fevery or unwell go to the doctor as you'll need antibiotics x

Lol lumpfish! Thanks, that's exactly what it feels like, really bruised. It just came on so quickly, iv never felt pain like it. I'll try massaging it x

Sounds like what I get at times. Sam's Mum has given a great tip, that helps ease mine. You could also try applying a warm cloth to area for a couple of minutes just before feeding.

Same here, I found a hot flannel or a hot water bottle on a damp flannel helped me too. If you keep feeding from there it will go xx

I've had this a few time too, had it last week, you think these things go away after a few weeks! I change position and kind of point his nose in direction of lump to help clear it and massage my boob while feeding. I also do the hot flannel and hot bath. Always takes a few days to clear up completely though, hope you feel better soon x

I can only second what Sam's mum has advised!

Also if you feed straight after being in the shower (obvously dry yourself first lol) I found that seemed to help. As does expressing from that side if you have a pump. Mine cleared pretty fast doing this x

Thanks everyone, I've been putting a warm flannel on it before the past 2 feeds and its def not as painful as it was last night. Thanks for the help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back