Labour

bbee

Reaction score
Hi ladies! I'm coming up to 18 weeks and I'm starting to get really scared for labour! I know I've still got a long way to go but I can't stop thinking about it!!

I was just flicking through the channels on telly and it was all late night crap, and I came across this programme where women don't know they're pregnant and they suddenly just go into labour! And they're like 'it was the worse pain ever. It was so severe I was sure is was going to die' ... This has freaked me out!!! Ladies, is it that bad?! Just be honest so I can prepare myself lol! Is it the worse pain ever? What is the pain like? Is it like really bad period pains? Is it sharp pains? I'm so scared now!!

Xxx

All I can say is when it starts you won't have time to worry about it u will just get on with it Hun xx

I imagine for those women it's because they don't know what's happening.

When you are pregnant you know there is a reason for the pain.

Not going to lie - it hurts! But I quite enjoyed labour and did it on g&a alone.

If you can't cope with the pain you have a couple of options for pain relief - so u will be fine

Tapatalking!

I had a back to back labour, the only way I can describe the contractions is someone giving a really bad chinese burn in my lower back. But yeah, you know why these pains are happening so its not so bad as that programme! And remember everyones labour is different, my advise is go in there with an open mind as everything may not go as u want it to and aslong as u and baby are OK then it doesnt really matter how your labour went xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I really suffered and I consider myself having a high pain threshold.

I had a long, drawn out early labour at home (36h) and I barely ate and didn't sleep so that added to my discomfort.

I had another 14 hours in hospital - despite being 5cm when I went in - but I did it with G&A and a shot of diamorphine [I only had the diamorphine to help me rest, it didn't help me get any sleep though and I wouldn't bother again]

I needed the drip to help me along and refused an EPI, the Dr's basically told me I'd be begging them for one within a few hours - but I never needed it.

I hated labour, but the actual delivery was very empowering and I enjoyed that.

No matter if you have the most awful labour, the reward is so worth it that you forget. In-fact our bodies produce hormones after we have our baby to make us feel that love and forget any trauma.

I went from saying "if" we have another baby to "when" we have another baby in the space of about a week.

I would suggest you read Maggie Howell's Natal Hypnotherapy book, even if you don't want to have a natural birth there is a lot of interesting info in this book about labour and how fear of labour can make it a tougher experience etc...

xxxxxxxx

Well I did it at home and just made it to hospital in time to push. 3 days of mild contractions. 8.5 hours of established labour. Zero pain relief not even gas and air. And a back to back labour. Honestly was not the worst pain I've ever felt. Trapped wind is worse!

Spencer David Wilcockson 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

I can't remember the pain now, couldn't even describe it. I'm sure it probably did hurt but the only thing I remember is a slight burn when he was crowning and the most weird sensation of his head and then his body coming out.

Unfortunately tv rarely portrays a calm birth which is a shame xx

I had a really calm labour! Daisy was back to back so all contractions were in my back and hips and I would say they were similar to a really bad back ache - it wasn't comfortable to lie back but the pains weren't sharp. I ended up being put on a drip and coped for a while on gas and air until it got too much and I just opted for an epidural.

At least you know to expect the pain but I really wouldn't worry about it. If anything, look forward to what comes at the end of it all! Xx

Hi. Try not to freak out. Everyone's labour is different as is their pain threshold. You have lots of time to mentally prepare yourself. No one was more terrified than me and I managed it!
Look into hypnobirthing - I highly recommend it.

Stay away from anything negative and don't watch One Born Every Minute!!
The thought of giving birth and trying to imagine it is very, very different to when you are actually there doing it. You'll be fine - no matter what turn your birth takes, the end result is worth every second.

I won't lie Labour is painful BUT it won't last forever and it's the means to an end-your baby will be born :)
I was in labour from start to finish for 25hours on zero sleep and lo was back to back as well. I tried g&a and didn't like it and had a shot of diamorphine which took the edge of the pains.

My advice is don't believe everything that is on these tv shows about giving birth etc as it is far from the truth (in my opinion anyway), it is just an insight into what to expect. Most of the women on OBEM go in all glammed up looking amazing, I went in with joggers, a vest top and hair scraped up! Lol

x

It does hurt it hurts a lot! But you get through it and it s a amazing feeling x

As most people have said try not to think about it TOO much (Easier said than done I know:)) every labour is different so you can only prepare yourself so far.

It is painful...there is no point in lying...but every single person that has gave birth has gotten through it one way or another you just need to remember that. I was the exact same as Rhys was my first and I was terrified...infact when my waters broke I went into total panic mode and was like "OMG I'm not ready for this" lol!

I did it on gas & air & diamorphine! The diamorphine helped me sleep inbetween contractions...I know it was only a tiny amount of time but I was knackered! I was talking to my mum about it the other day & said it's funny most people (well I certainly did anyway) dread the pushing part the most as you think how the hell am I gona get a baby out of there?? But the worst part for me was the contractions...I didn't really feel much pain with the pushing apart from the seconds before Rhys came out and they told me to stop pushing!

You just have to remember you have all your options for pain relief...and you WILL get through it! OH and also don't panic when they see how far gone you are...I felt as though I had been in labour for eternity they checked me and I was only 4cm...well I nearly had a meltdown...I was crying saying it's gona be agggggggggges before I get to 10cm lol well an hour later I was ready to push!

Just go with it...you will be fine:)

xxxxx

I had back to back labour and TBH didn't even care much about the contractions - I could cope with them (like real bad period pains)

It was my back I was wanting pain releif for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back