SPD and labour

Reaction score
For those of you unfortunate enough to suffer from SPD (Pelvic Pain) during your pregnancies, how much, if at all, did it affect your labour?? I've had SPD throughout my pregnancy from about the 4th month, and whilst i've been able to manage it, until recently It seems to have got worse, mainly in the mornings. I was up at 6.30 am this morning sat on my birthing ball because it was too bad to stay in bed. I think it's got worse recently since baby's head has engaged... but now i'm worried thinking that if it hurts now with just baby's head there, what's it going to be like when i'm in labour?! Anyone else been in the same situation?

I had it and couldnt hardly walk but didnt notice a thing during labour! :cheer:
I remember standing up and walking after the birth and although it was slightly there still, it was nothing like before I although I had just given birth, I felt like I could run and skip down the corridors! It was bliss lol

I had it severely and I am still affected now, 8 months after the birth.

Because I came in on a wheelchair they wouldn't let me use the pool as it would be so difficult to remove me if there was an emergency. I could only really move in water so it was harder because of the PGP (which is how SPD is now known though it seems a lot of doctors must still refer to it by its old name). Towards the end I ended up on my hands and knees with an awful lot of my weight taken by my head which was leaning against the upright head-end of the bed. Movement was incredibly difficult so whereas the best advice is to do whatever you want to in labour I couldn't.

By your stage in pregnancy though I had been unable to leave the house for some time and needed crutches to get from bed to the loo so don't worry, you are nothing like as bad as me. At 36 weeks I went to the midwives' and it took me 45 minutes on crutches to do a walk that takes an able bodied person 3 minutes. By the time I had DD I was surviving on 2.5 hours sleep a night because of the pain. I would wake after 45 minutes and have to change positions but after sleeping on one side, the other and then my back there was nothing pain free to sleep on. It sounds like you just have occasional pain and complete mobility so I don't think it should bother you at all in labour.

I strongly believe that one of the reasons I didn't find labour bad was because I had spent such a long time in pain that I had built up endorphins. Hopefully you will have the same experience and the PGP will turn out to be an advantage rather than a disadvantage.

lea m said:
I had it and couldnt hardly walk but didnt notice a thing during labour! :cheer:
I remember standing up and walking after the birth and although it was slightly there still, it was nothing like before I although I had just given birth, I felt like I could run and skip down the corridors! It was bliss lol

Ditto. I could hardly walk at the end of pregnancy and I felt great straight after birth :D .

I was stuck on a bed during labour and only noticed it when I had to move. It was a lot like when I was in bed at night and turned over. I suppose it all depends on how active you are during labour and what you do as to what the pain will be like. For me, the pain of constant contractions took over anything else lol. Mine wasn't too severe either so that's probably a factor.

It didnt effect me too much in labour other than the usual couldnt get on the bed without help or turn over. When they wanted to examine me they wanted to lie me on my back well that was bloody painful but i couldnt say how much that was because of SPD or the fact i was in labour and that hurt :lol:

There was a huge improvement once i had given birth but i still suffered for quite a while after birth. Currently if i sit a certain way or lie on my side without turning every so often or walk long distances i still suffer with pelvic pain :( It is slowly getting better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back