just had police round

nmf1987

Reaction score
well i was enjoying a nice cold bath trying to see if my pains would disappear when heard loads of noise outside.

got out to find lee and my landlord having ago at each other.

landlord just decided he wanted to put some scaffolding in his garage and scratched lee's new car in the process rather than knocking to ask to move the car etc.

we have had nothing but trouble with him since we moved in and he is always showing up and putting stuff in garage etc.

called the police cos after speaking to estate agaents they said its criminal damage and they can't do anything.

police arrived and he was quite abusive and angry and they told him that if he carried on they would arrest him.

he kept arguing but eventually shut up. he has now threatened to end our tenancy which i really could do without however as far as i know he can't as he hasn't got a valid reason.

looked it up onlne and it actually states he is breaking the law by coming to the property even if he does have a garage here. he is supposed to call and give notice.

sorry for long post but if anyone knows anymore info on where we stand would be a big help. xxx

Thats so crap. I'd mention to the estate agents that he's been coming round and its against the law and have it all written down in front of you.

Also, it might not be a bad thing if he ends your tenancy. He'll have to give you at least 4 weeks notice and once that 4 weeks is up you can apply for a council house but because you'll have your LO with you they'll tell you to stay put until they find you somewhere to live. Obviously hopefully your landlord will see sense and just leave you be and stop being a jack ass in the process but yeah. You might get a house and cheaper rent out of it :)

Yes, the damage to your o/h's car would be classed as criminal damage as the landlord was being reckless when he caused it. I am not entirely sure of the civil law regarding the trespass but I know that landlords forego their rights to enter the property willynilly when it's rented out so I assume the same would go for the garage, you estate agents would be able to give you a definite answer on it, or you could try the citizens advice bureau x

Aww that's crap - Hope you're ok!

Do you have a tenancy agreement hun? I think it shoudl tell you in there how much notice etc your landlord has to give?

xxx

Your landlord was defo in the wrong here. But unfortunately he can still end the tenancy (as long as he gives u as much notice as it states on the lease) he could decide he doesn't want to let the property out anymore, or decide to sell up. If action is taken he could get more angry and may push to end the tenancy. Private letts are a nightmare in general as they are always gonna be someone else's house, and its always gonna be their rules. Is there no chance you could find something else anyway?

as far as I know landlords have to give you 2 months notice,the tenants one month...hope it doesn't come to that for you !

well his wife has come round and apologised for him.

she said that she hasnt met us before because we have been such good tenants that t
she hasnt needed to. and by the sounds of it she has no intention of kicking us out. (tenancy is set up in her name not his).

she also said that she doesnt understand why he went past the car like he did and understands that we are angry he didnt knock on the door to ask us to move the car just incase.

fingers crossed that will be the end of it. xxx

Have they offered to sort out the damage on the car? x

yeah but wanted to take the car away and get it done. so we told him to bugger off and we will get a quote from somewhere we want to go to and he can pay. which the police told him he is obliged to do. xxx

Yeh I think getting a couple of quotes is reasonable though for comparison that's what I tell people to do though. Are the police pursuing it as an offence or are they leaving it as he's paying? Either way it's good that they have it on record :) xx

That's not what you both need right now. Glad the wife was better with you - poor her if she has to put up with him all th time! Sounds like she wasn't aware of what he was doing so he might not try it again. Hope you are ok

yeah will get a couple of quotes. no police are leaving it but have said to call them if anymore issues. xxx

Nice one. Hopefully he'll stay away from you now its costing him money :roll: stupid man x

Read your tenancy agreement hun. Mine says my landlord has to give 24 hours notice before coming to the property... i would go citizens advice if he keeps doing it. Hope your ok. xxx

Hey, I would advise you go to an agency if you can; I had a private landlord for a while and he was a nightmare. It was fine until he came knocking one night and me and a partner had been there for some time at that point. He then asked to live with us as he had been kicked out his gf house and we could not really say no, and he would urinate over the bathroom floor and was a drunk, he also hurt my cat... I told my partner that I could no longer live with this and my partner suggested we try and stick it out. I did not realise he was suddenly a drinking partner... with that I left and my partner and we broke up... I would never go private again and they can turn you out on their terms and notwith good reason either...xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back