Just done 1st perineal massage...

Dee83

Reaction score
and really struggled as i could hardly reach!! Anyone got any tips to make it easier? xxx

This is the info' i'm following hun:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Perineal Massage. You should start about 4 to 6 weeks before your due date, and while there are different ways to perform it, they generally all follow the same techniques. [/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Wash your hands. [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Find a private, comfortable place and sit or lean back in a comfortable position. Some women lie on their side and bring their hand round the back. Use cushions to support your legs. [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Use an unscented vegetable oil, such as sunflower oil or olive oil on your thumbs and around the perineum. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Place one or two thumbs (or fingers if you can't reach) about 1 inch (2-3cms) inside your vagina. Press downwards and to the sides at the same time. Gently and firmly keep stretching until you feel a slight burning, tingling or stinging sensation. [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hold the pressure steady at that point with your thumbs for about 2 minutes until the area becomes a little numb and you don't feel the tingling as much. [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Keep pressing with your thumbs. Slowly and gently massage back and forth over the lower half of your vagina. Do this for 3-4 minutes. Remember to avoid the urinary opening. You can start with very gentle massage, increasing the pressure as sensitivity is reduced. [/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As you massage, pull gently outwards (forwards) on the lower part of the vagina with your thumb(s) hooked inside. This helps stretch the skin as the baby's head will stretch it during birth.

[/FONT]

I havent started yet...really need to.... but ante natal leader thought lying on the side and going at it from the back was prob the easiest. Or sitting over the toilet.

Wow... I was considering this but i think i have scared myself by reading what you actually do lol.

xx

I need to start this but think it'll be a right mission :lol:

It does seem pretty hard. Hmmm... wonder wether i should still give it a go, I suppose nothing lost if i cant manage...xx

Maybe standing with a foot up on the loo? Not that you'd fancy staying like that for long lol x

Oh god! :| think I'll wait until I'm on leave and OH won't be interrupting!

get OH to do it - mines all lined up - keeps asking if it's time yet :lol:

Good idea, will try it whilst sitting on the loo. Can't believe how tricky it is to reach tho, dunno if it's just cos my bump's so big! Hope you girls have more luck with it! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back