Jar foods

Gem & Leland

Reaction score
Please , i dont want a debate on how i should be home cooking for leland but i do want some guidence on how i can make sure the jars i pick are the healthiest they can be ,im a bit nieve in thinking cos there made for baby that there all ok but i understant some have some higher levels on salt or sugar in them thats not ideal

what counts as high level ? in any weaning food really ?

i am hopeing to move onto home cooked food , but with our lifestyle , my lack of food skills and the fact i wouldnt eat anything id give him and it would be a big waste of food with the amount his eating right now ( not alot) i feel for now the jars are good for us . so please not slating me and no debate !

Hi G3M,

I think you probably get what you pay for. If I ever have to feed LO on the run (very rarely) I have used Ella's Kitchen pouches or Plum pots as they are pretty much just the pure fruit/veg with nothing added. Unfortunately they are quite expensive and not as easy to get hold of.

Valentine Xxx

ive stuck with HIPP cos least i know its organic ( his on hipp formula) and some cow and gate , ive stayed away from the heinz as many people complained about them so i havent even tried one ! your right , i dont have either of those brands at my local store and if i go to the big store i spend too much money on rubbish i dont need :wall:

Im not entirely sure tbh but there are quite a few Organic ranges now I would have thought that they would be ok? I saw them in Boots today so I know they do them there.

Gem & Leland said:
ive stuck with HIPP cos least i know its organic ( his on hipp formula) and some cow and gate , ive stayed away from the heinz as many people complained about them so i havent even tried one ! your right , i dont have either of those brands at my local store and if i go to the big store i spend too much money on rubbish i dont need :wall:

You can get Plum pots or Ella's kitchen in most Sainsburys, big Tescos and Boots I think.

Valentine Xxx

i would be interested to here what other people use too.
im just starting weaning at the mo ( just rice and cereal) and i keep looking at the jars and there are so many to choose from . im not doing homemade at the mo as he only has a few spoonfuls so i just want to try him on different tastes and thinking the jars will be a good start.
sorry i havent helped u have i :doh:

food in Spain has loads of added salt and sugar...its disgusting it really is...you can get sugar/salt free in the UK but here its impossible... I by a load of fruit/veg and purée up a load of stuff using an Anabel Karmel book thats 10 years old and freeze it in ice cube trays once a month. I work 6 hours a day, 5 days a week so if I didn't do the whole freezing thing I'd be screwed, my life just doesn't accommodate making fresh everyday for two kids and two adults everyday... :rotfl: I have to do laundry the same way... Only once a week... pre teen girls are clothes horses and lil miss pookies on everything... you learn to do things in batches when you have kids... :rotfl: :rotfl: or you end up drowning :roll:

dunno what you get in the UK but I wont use Nestle they are evil :evil: used jars with Tia till she became allergic to milk...then it was easier to make her food myself... :roll:

I started using Cow and gate but after doing a taste test found them bland. I moved onto Hipp and they taste nice.. like proper food :lol: I have stuck with them. Tried heinz which turns to mush :puke:

the ones i started with ozzy was the hipp organic first tastes , they come in a smaller pot so less wast and come in apple puree , apple and banna and carrot and sweetcorn ,leland loves all 3 and the apple ones was easy to add to baby rice for the first few times .

leland does love his puree ( sure beanie will show the pics later :rotfl: )

ive also eaten some of them, ( after the mistake with william pear flavour = sour! ) and you right , even the cottage pie one tastes of cottage pie and i love the fruit ones and sometimes eat one myself :lol:

squig , spain sounds a nightmere , come back ! i gave debbie a bit of a shock today , leland puked , well over 2 hours since he had his dinner ( orchard chicken so chicken and apple) and she was like ! omg that looks like real sick !

I mostly used hipp. They tasted the closest to what i may eat myself. I used mostly jars, both liked them (jess liked them for longer). In bigger supermarkets you could get more variety.
Never had any bother.

Gem & Leland said:
squig , spain sounds a nightmere , come back ! i gave debbie a bit of a shock today , leland puked , well over 2 hours since he had his dinner ( orchard chicken so chicken and apple) and she was like ! omg that looks like real sick !
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: that happens to me too... its called chunky pookie..or slimy pookie... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: the baby food here is terrible but it costs too much to buy UK brands here... :(

Squiglet said:
Gem & Leland said:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: that happens to me too... its called chunky pookie..or slimy pookie... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: the baby food here is terrible but it costs too much to buy UK brands here... :(

leland manage to puke from my boob down to my knee today in one go , while at the meet :rotfl:

I started out on hipps organic after initially failing with home cooked food. I do cook all of Dan's food now but in the beginning to develop his taste it was cheaper, quicker and easier for me to start with jars. I always planned to feed Dan myself (I'm very particular about what I eat so I always knew I would be obsessed with Dan's diet too :lol: ) I am glad I did begin with hipps jars because in a short time his tastes developed quickly and he will now eat anything I make him, from fish to veggies!

Personally I would stay clear of the Heinz mums................omg I have never tasted anything so fowl. I brought about 6 jars a few weeks back. Every one I tried tasted exactly the same and they all a had burnt taste to them. Dan wouldn't even try it!
Hipps organic though I find really good and still use when I'm out and about.

If I remember correctly :think:...............make sure you do check some of the hipps because some I found to have a lot of sugar in them. I really liked the breakfast porridage because its sweeten with apple juice rather than sugar.

whats classed as alot tho , thats what i would like to know ?

and thanks miss laurie , thats exactly how i feel , leland is having many more tastes then i could give him home cooked , i just dont buy that kinda food and it would be wasted and just cant afford that ! for example ,he loves chicken and pumpkin ( one of the hipp ones) id never even know where to start for that !

Gem & Leland said:

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: OMG did you have to! Ive not even had brekkie yet LOL! That was mega gross. I am going to have problems when I wean. Luke is going to be breastfed til he is 18 now. I have decided. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gem I have just started weaning and it is really easy to make the purees. I have the Annabel Karmel book and the recipes are so easy to follow (they are also on her website). I have been making batches and freezing them in ice cube trays, then knocking them out and putting in freezer bags. I did enough for about a month on Monday in about 2 hours. I haven't looked at the jars yet, but it is WAY cheaper to do yourself (I did about 20 portions of butternut squash for about the cost of 1 jar!)

Sorry, I know you said you didn't want pressure to do it yourself and I promise I am not. I just wanted to tell you it is really easy!

Squig - Ahhhhh I am going to Spain in Oct, in a hotel. What am I going to feed Ella!!!!

sass said:
Gem I have just started weaning and it is really easy to make the purees. I have the Annabel Karmel book and the recipes are so easy to follow (they are also on her website). I have been making batches and freezing them in ice cube trays, then knocking them out and putting in freezer bags. I did enough for about a month on Monday in about 2 hours. I haven't looked at the jars yet, but it is WAY cheaper to do yourself (I did about 20 portions of butternut squash for about the cost of 1 jar!)

Sorry, I know you said you didn't want pressure to do it yourself and I promise I am not. I just wanted to tell you it is really easy!

Squig - Ahhhhh I am going to Spain in Oct, in a hotel. What am I going to feed Ella!!!!

Bring some packets of food over..... :) Some of the jar foods are ok.. but the packet foods all have added sugar in them... :( I even went to the chemist and asked if they did sugar free baby food.. she looked at me like I'd grown a third head...then asked if she was on a sugar free diet.. er yes, shes a baby :wall: :wall: :wall:

Also if you are going to an English sort of resort there should be an English shop selling English products and you can by them.. They are just expensive for us as we don't earn English wages. You just need to read the list of ingredients of Spanish products carefully... the word Azucra means sugar and Sal is salt.. those are the ones you want to avoid...

In general the ones that don't have sugar are ones with meat in them and I don't like introducing meat until they are one... but thats just a personal thing...

We liked the Plum baby ones, but I think they'd be way too expensive if you were feeding jarred food exclusively.

hi hun.. if im stuck i use hipp organic to. i actually quite enjoy making his food.. my health visitor told me to give him whatever we have..(over 6 months) dont add salt or sugar.. leland is over 6 months now.. so even boiling frozen veg adding chicken that you have cooked etc and blending can make a good weeks worth of meals? i tend to grate raw pear and apple (without the seeds) and mix into yogart for him.. etc.. get yourself a good book (if you want to try making him food) and have a go.. im sure somegirls would help you even doing half and half would save you some money

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back