Itchy skin

Rosie's Mummy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Has anyone experienced a change in skin sensitivity after becoming pregnant? I still have this awful itchy rash all over my body and my SIL who is a midwife thinks its an allergy to something but I havent changed washing powder or used anything new at all. Now Im thinking that my skin has gone ultra sensitive and perhaps Im developing an allergy to my existing washing liquid (Fairy)

Thanks in advance :)

with your immune system being suppressed it's possible you are developing an allergy you didn't have before. I get hayfever when I'm pregnant and never have when I'm not.

Definitely not eaten anything new? No new perfumes for you or after shave for your fella? Baby products for Rosie?

No nothing, I did start to use some nice new soap I had for Christmas but I stopped using it as soon as the rash appeared. Now Im only using Johnsons Top to Toe wash for everything apart from my hair. Its miserable! Im also using E45 lotion on my skin as its so so so dry and tight, I cant bear not to moisturise otherwise my skin feels likt its going to split all over!

Ive just made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow as my skin has flared up on my legs this afternoon, I just about scratched the skin clean off. Its driving me beserk!

Yeh I will, Im wondering if its either related to the virus Ive had or Ive gone sensitive to our washing liquid. Might request a blood test too to rule out any problems with my liver. Thanks for asking :)

Well I saw the doc this afternoon and showed him my legs! He didnt really know what to think, he prescribed me some Eurax cream to help with the itching and said it could be viral as I had a virus a couple of weeks ago that left me with my tickly cough. He also said that if it gets worse they will check my liver function Lets hope the cream works, it may prevent me from going doo-lally!

Maybe try something other than J&J hun. It isn't great if you have itchy skin. Also, Boots do a really cheap aqeous cream in a can. It is the best thing ever! And it's only about £2. I had really itchy legs too when I was pregnant. I still have it now. It drives me nuts.

Its all over my body, on my arms it comes up like nettle rash when I scratch it and its just unbearable when it gets going like it is right now! I looked at the box that the Eurax came in and it says should be avoided in pregnancy! Should I ring the surgery and check its ok or should I take the doc's word for it thats its safe? I asked if it was ok in pregnancy and he said it didnt get absorbed it just sits on the skin but I know if meds are safe for pregnancy it says 'consult your doctor if you are pregnant' - I dont know. I am saying a special prayer tonight that it goes away :cry:

So what do you guys think I should do? it wasnt my regular doctor I saw and now after reading this Im worried about using the cream, which I already did on my arm a little bit. Im a bit pissed off to be honest, surely a doctor should know this info?

There is no experience to judge the safety of Eurax in pregnancy, therefore Eurax is not recommended during pregnancy, especially in the first three months. It is not known whether the active substance passes into the breast milk. Nursing mothers should avoid applying Eurax in the area of the nipples.

hi Rosie's Mummy, I too am suffering with really itchy skin - especially the tops of my legs. It looks like a heat rash or nettle stings is very rough to the touch. I too use Fairy washing powder but have been using that for about a year and not changed anything else. Doc told me to just shower and cover myself in aqueous cream! it's still there though...x

RakRak you sound as if you have the same as me; im going to nip to the chemist in the morning and get some aqueous cream. I definitely think its pregnancy related, possibly hormones rampaging around. Mine is like nettle rash at times and others its little red bumps. I cant wait for it to go, you have my every sympathy x

my friend also had very itchy skin but not to our extreme and thankfully hers cleared up after about 12 weeks so I'm hoping ours does too! x

my friend also had very itchy skin but not to our extreme and thankfully hers cleared up after about 12 weeks so I'm hoping ours does too! x

Im absolutely praying that it disappears, I had some bumps some up on my back this evening which itched like mad. Im like a cat with fleas!

:rofl: i know what you mean...i feel like i've got a thousand ants crawling all over me! just pray it's over soon x

Bless you RakRak, mine came on last week when I was 8 weeks or so. I really hope it doesnt last long, we'll have to compare week to week!

I'm just into my 8th week and have been like this for nearly two weeks (it's been worse this week though)...
hope you're feeling better soon x

Oh you poor thing, my legs havent been so bad this evening - my arms have made up for it tho unfortunately. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it eases off x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back