Isabella Beatrice 3/7/14

Clarelp28

Reaction score
Here it goes!

On the 2nd I had a restless night, I was up almost hourly, and just felt uncomfortable. I woke up at 6.45am to a small gush of fluid, and jumped out of bed, there wasn't much, but it was running down my legs, so assumed something was happening. About 10minutes later I had a period pain like cramp, and we decided we would call the Oasis centre (ok the birth centre at our hospital). They asked us to go in as they wanted to check if it was my waters, as they'd only let me go 24hrs alone if it was my waters leaking.

I had some breakfast, showered (and opened my birthday presents!) and we went to the Oasis about 9am.
We had a chat to the midwife, and I consented to her checking to see if my waters had gone. She could see no evidence of my waters leaking, and my cervix was long, firm and completely closed. I was definitely having pains every 10 or so minutes, so was somewhat disappointed by this verdict! Anyway, we were sent home with the midwife saying it won't be today, but we shall see you soon.

We were home about 11am, I put the tens machine on as I was starting to get some uncomfortable pains and my back was aching. The midwife suggested I try to nap too, so Oli built me a nest in our living room with our pillows and duvet, with my ball close to hand and all the curtains closed.

I couldn't rest at all, and within an hour I had to move constantly between contractions. Between I would pace the living room. I found on the whole kneeing with my arms over my ball swaying side to side and forward and back the most comfortable.

My mum had come over that morning to help with decorating and general bits in the new house. And fortunately she stayed with us, she kept herself busy, ironing in a separate room, making tea for Oli and bringing bottles of water in for me.

About 12.30 I decided that Oli should drive to Petts Wood and have our car seat checked. God knows why, but I insisted. My mum stayed with me and Oli, begrudgingly, left.
Things progressed very quickly, and mum went to call Oli to see where he was about 1.15pm, as I had started to call out during contractions for him.

He was home shortly after, mum disappeared off, and Oli stayed with me, swaying, rubbing my back and constantly telling me how well I was doing, and how proud he was if me.

By 2pm my contractions were lasting 90srconds, and coming every 2/3 minutes. Oli called into the Oasis to let then know things were happening faster than they suggested they might at about 2.30pm. He was told that I'd need to be doing this for at least 2 hours.

At 3ish during contractions I had begun to hurl myself around, hanging on the stair railings, doors and Oli, and had begun to say 'I can't do this'. Oli called the Oasis again and they listened to me contracting and said I needed to come in.

Thank god my mum had stayed as things got scary from this point. Mum quickly said she would drive us and Oli would get in the back of the car to help me stay focused. I laid on my side in the car, and soon realised that school kick out was not the time to try and get from Sidcup to the PRUH!!

We got about a mile and a half away from home when I first felt my body push. I had no say it the matter and for the first time in hours opened my eyes, looked at Oli and said this baby is coming, I'm pushing. Mum and Oli quickly said no no, it's fine, but with the next contraction there wasn't pain as such, just the pressure and pushing sensation. I started to panic and once again, Oli calmed me (despite the panic in his face!). He called the oasis again to explain the situation and the midwife was out on speaker phone to talk me through the contractions. As one came on she told me not to push, but to breathe through the contraction- I screamed 'I can't' to which I got 'I know you can't, but we are going to have to try'.

I had a foot up on the window, I was pulling on the seat belt and all I could think was 'I can't give birth in a car!!!'

I heard the midwife call others to get a delivery pack and get to the car park, talking to Oli about where we were and if they could get an ambulance to us quicker.

We pulled into the PRUH at just after 4, two midwives waiting, they asked if I could get into the wheel chair just as another urge came, so they got a rather curt I don't bloody think so! To which they said right we need to black out the windows of the car. They got another response of 'I'm not giving birth in this car' and managed to kneel on the wheel chair! Oli and a midwife wheeled me backwards through reception and up to the Oasis! Not quiet the dimmed lights, calm and quiet environment I had envisaged.

I was in the birthing room at 4.15pm, knelt on the bed pushing and at 4.28pm my baby was passed to me. We were team yellow throughout so Oli got to announced that we had a baby girl.

Isabella was left attached to the cord, when we had visited that morning, the midwife (the same lady who delivered Isabella) had read my birth plan and we had discussed a natural third stage, which I got. I started to contract very quickly and my placenta followed our daughter with it's speedy delivery, just 6mins after Isabella.
We had skin to skin immediately and were left to cuddle for as long as we liked, and I requested to try feeding as soon as possible, which Debbie (the midwife) helped us with. About 45mins later, I passed Isabella to Oliver for skin to skin whilst the midwives checked me over, feeding Isabella had got my uterus contracting, so I was rather uncomfortable.

I was shocked to hear I needed no stitches and that I had a small graze, that that was all. We were left alone for cuddles and family time again.

My notes say that I was in active labour for about 2 hours, and they have no idea when my waters broke! The midwives kept saying 'well that was a quick first time labour, but a textbook delivery!' (If there is a) Next time the midwives have recommended I have a home birth! I think I shall be camping at the hospital!!!

Isabella Beatrice weighed 6lb 11oz and was 52cm in length, she is our perfect little girl!

Wow! Very quick and eventful! You sound like you were very polite even though you were needing to push! I couldn't speak to people when I needed to push! Congratulations on a successful delivery though, she's beautiful xxx

Last edited:
What a lovely story.. So glad you made it to the BC in the end :)
I love her name.. It's adorable.. Xxx

What a beautiful story bought a tear to my eyes.

Congratulations Hun xx

Wow! Amazing story hun!

Cobgratulations!!

XX

Oh wow, this is amazing and made me cry! Really hoping I am lucky enough to have a natural birth, and one thats as quick as yours! Congratulations :)

Congrats. Lovely story. I had a quick first labour too! It's very overwhelming. But you did amazing! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back