Is this pain normal?!! **UPDATE - It's SPD! :( **

HideiLu

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Been to the docs and he was a lovely chap (better than my normal GP!)

He straight away said that he believes it is SPD and has made an urgent referral for physio.

Just need to wait for a call now to see when I can go in! :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I don't want to sound like a wimp but it's really getting in the way now!!

I've had pains in my pubic area, between my legs for some weeks and it's getting so frustrating!

It hurts when I'm getting dressed, when I'm getting up from my seat (which combinded with the increased arthritis pain in my knees means I yelp just getting up and down :oops: ) and just minor little movements like turning over in bed I can feel the pain down there.

I did put it down to the extra weght at first but getting to the point where I'm worried about how much more weight I can take!! x

I've heard a few ladies talking about SPD. Could it be that?
I've seen a couple of posts on here about it xx

My SPD feels like that, is it doing things that mean you spread your legs wider? (sorry that might have dome out wrong), if it feels fine when your legs are together, but hurts when you do anything that involves spreading the (getting out of the car is a classic time) then it could be SPD, talk to your GP or midwife on next visit if it is close or make an appointment if you haven't got one cheduled soon.

sandi

Sandi4Paul said:
My SPD feels like that, is it doing things that mean you spread your legs wider? (sorry that might have dome out wrong), if it feels fine when your legs are together, but hurts when you do anything that involves spreading the (getting out of the car is a classic time) then it could be SPD, talk to your GP or midwife on next visit if it is close or make an appointment if you haven't got one cheduled soon.

sandi

Yeah it is when they're apart!! - Gosh people will roll out the 'keeping your legs together' jokes now! Think I should have done that 30 weeks ago!! :lol:

Sitting down is fine, just when I need to get up and move about.

If I get up, it takes a moment to get my balance and to adjust to the pain before walking off to where I need to go. I nearly fell over backwards at my Dads earlier thinking I was standing still but my balance just knocked me back!

My next appointment is apparently with the GP and don't think that's due for 2 weeks :think:

From what I have found on SPD just now, doesn't seem there is anything they can do?! :?

That article was really helpful Nikki, thank you :hug: As my next questions were going to be about the birth and how it effects it.

I love this bit though;

• For those whose pain when climbing stairs is too excruciating to bear, it may well be advisable to go up and down stairs using your bottom, and lifting yourself up or down each stair with your hands.

The only place I have to tackle stairs each day is at work...that should make them chuckle!! Or maybe I should ask them for a stairlift to be installed!

they will refer you to a physio (insist if they try not to) the physio will either give you exercises or a hip strap or both.
Mine went through some exercises and fitted a tubi grip bandage for me, apparently this was cos my right hip was rolled out more, but it depends exactly what it wrong to what they will prescribe.

Mothercare also do some hip strap thingy whihc may be of help until you get your referral, get it sooner rather than later, the longer you leave it the worse thigns will get.

Sandi

Thanks Sandi :hug: I shall call the docs tomorrow. He's a fairly unsympathetic chap, as I already have arthritis in my hips and knees and the right hip ball and socket joint is slightly wonky, which means it clicks in and out of place, which I already mentioned to MW but she just said Oooh that shouldn't be a problem and moved swiftly along!

I won't leave until they listen this time :shakehead: Not willing to gain all this extra weight AND sit on my expanding butt for the next 10weeks

You poor love, you have all my sympathy...
Not much longer now..

xx

:hug:

I can sympathise with you. I've had SPD since about 16 weeks and it's really painful now. I've had so much time off work with it.

Hope you haven't got too long before your mat leave starts. :hug:

bunnymom1980 said:
I can sympathise with you. I've had SPD since about 16 weeks and it's really painful now. I've had so much time off work with it.

Hope you haven't got too long before your mat leave starts. :hug:

No such thing for me :( I've been temping to keep money coming in and so if I leave, so do the pennies!! Thankfully it's just round the corner from home, about 5 minute walk (well, it now takes 8!!) and a friend of mine just started there last week too, so I'm always in safe hands...plus it's ground floor! Just need the stairs to get to the conference rooms for meetings!!

:hug:

I know how you feel. I kept going to the doc and asking mw and they kept saying I sould expect a certain amount of discomfort in pregnancy. I thought I was over reacting until the day I couldn't get up the stairs. I know exactly what you mean about when you stand up you have to wait a minute before walking for the pain to subside.
Mine is much better now I'm not working and only getting twinges but sleeping at night is still painful. Mine is worse when I sit on a upright hard chair for any period of time like going out for meals as I get stiff. Might want to try a cushion at work if you're sitting all day :think: .

Like everyone else has said, sounds like SPD! I've been getting those pains since week 20, my MW just kept telling me 'it is normal to be sore especially with someone of your size!!' :shock: Like I've said before I am no skinny mini but I am not the size of a cow either. Very rude of her.

I only got diagnosed recently when a temp MW who was filling in for my usual one refered me the second I mentioned pelvic pains. Physio said that if my MW had refered me as soon as I first reported the pains (14 weeks ago!!!) there would have been less chance I'd be on the crutches and co-codamol now. :x So don't let them fob you off! :hug:

Sorry if I am repeating what everyone has said, but that is almost definitely SPD. Get an appointment NOW because the relief that can be given is immediate and you will regret it if you don't. I put it off at first and just got a silly band from Toys 'r Us. I'm sure that is fine if you don't have a problem, but it is nothing compared to what a physio can do for someone with SPD. They manipulated my leg a bit and I finally could stand up straight for the first time in ages, I could walk without pain, then I was given a support belt. I had been praying not to be given one, but the difference it makes is beyond description. Without it, I can't walk more than a couple of steps with getting the sharp shooting pain and with it I walk almost as normally as I did before I was pregnant. If you put it off it will only get worse and you may end up on crutches the way I did before my last physio appointment.

Can't believe I missed this thread, yes it does sound like SPD/PGP/pelvic instability :hug: :hug:

I find mine is worse at night and turning over in bed can be agony. I also find resting is bugger all help also. I seem to have to strike a fine balance between not overdoing it and exercising otherwise it gets worse. For me, swimming twice a week helps as just being in the water and not supporting my own weight feels really lovely. It does depend on how severe your symptoms are though. My sexy hip strap does help but I don't wear it everyday as it also rubs on my skin a bit.

I had one physio session and he said that I had good muscle tone in my back so shouldn't suffer too badly. He did say that symptoms can sometimes stay up to 13 weeks after the birth as your body is getting back to normal. I would definitely get a physio referral soon and take it easy until then :hug: :hug:

Thanks for all the advice and support ladies.

Booked in to see GP tomorrow - my usual doctor isn't available so seeing someone else, which may or may not be better!

Hopefully have some answers from him/her then. :pray:

Welcome to the SPD club hun :hug: Hope you get a referral quickly and of course, a sexy hip strap ;)

Welcome to the SPD gang! :hug: It really isn't so bad once you've been diagnosed. I've got a bump support that helps a lot. I was told that only in bad cases, such as mine, you get crutches but I doubt you'll get them unless the pain is affecting your walking! Let us know how the physio appointment goes! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back