Is this over the top??

Tadpole

Reaction score
Okay, so I like to be organised and prepared for every eventuality. (I was a brownie... :D )

I pretty much have everything I need except mattresses for the cot & moses basket, and a pram - which my dad is buying in a few weeks.

I was at my SIL's the other day who is also pregnant, in fact she is only 2 weeks ahead of me. She asked if I had thought about the birth plan.

I have FIVE birth plans to cover most eventualities..

home birth - no drugs
home birth - drugs
hospital - no drugs
hospital - drugs
And - do whatever to get Baba out safely.

She looked at me like this... :shock:

Have I over-thought this a bit? How is everyone else getting prepared?

Lol you've definitely covered most situations hun!! :hug:

I don't think it's at all a bad thing being so prepared. It will probably help you cope better knowing you have thought of EVERYTHING.

I personally don't have a birth plan and probably never will. For my own reasons, it just doesn't work for me. On the other hand, I think they're a great thing because it allows you to do what YOU want to do (to an extent) so she shouldn't have looked at you like this --> :shock: (lol) Because you're the one going through the labour and it's your baby so you should plan how you like!

Labour rarely goes to plan anyway so to cover all angles is a good thing! Surely?!

To cut it short, I think you're doing juuust fine so you carry on, we get through things in different ways - I wish I had a bit of your organisation skills in me :roll: Should have gone to Brownies...

xxx

:lol: I am impressed. I hadn't really thought about it until I saw the other thread. I need to have a chat with my OH and midwife about it :D

Nah i think your alright :) Better to be over prepared than under - prepared isnt it, ive never heard of someone regreting being over prepared ever, so i think thats the way to go as far as this having baboes malarky is concerned :D

Nothing wrong at all :)

I'd however maybe combine the birth plans and have them with drugs/no drugs rather than separate. I went with the never say never approach so left it open as to having IV pain relief if I asked for it rather than saying 'no drugs' in the birth plan at all. I think allowing for possibles is better than saying 'no' outright. You are also covering all eventualities in it still :)

Its easy enough to cover for both ways in one plan. I did this with mine regarding IV drugs for hospital birth

*As IV drug free as possible please. I am open to an epidural but will ask if I feel I need it. I hope to manage with breathing techniques, massage, birthing ball, TENS, gas and air , shower/bath and water birth if possible.
*I am not keen on drugs to speed up delivery unless there is a real danger to myself or the baby. I wish to labour naturally for as long as it takes. I don't wish to feel I am delivering against the clock.
*If a drip is absolutely necessary then it's to be a very low dose which is not increased without my permission.

And re homebirth. I don't really have one as being at home is the birth I hope for anyways and am going with the flow more there as thats the whole point for me. IV drugs are not an option at home anyways (no epi available at all) and if you want to take pethidine you need a precription for it from your Doctor in advance. And it has to be given early on as it crosses the placenta. So if you think you might want it you have to arrange it in advance, even if you never use it.

Other 'drugs' like gas and air I don't consider IV and heavy hitting so am happy to try those if I feel I need/want to during labour either at home or in hospital. Basically it is far more natural at home and so therefore a birth plan probably won't matter so much. I've not come across anyone who has an actual birthplan for homebirth, they just have reminders etc.

My homebirth one is below and really only contains reminders of things, to help us keep focused.

Home birth

Keep mobile for as long as possible. Don't wear myself out walking miles though
Remember to eat and nibble on snacks
Don't sit in a bath too long in first stage as this can slow things down
Shower is preferable
Massage or head rub is always good
Breathe through the contractions, don't focus on the pain
Use chair or birth ball to aid contractions and pain relief
Take rescue Remedy when needed
Stay hydrated
Wee

Things for Daniel

If I snap at you or am grumpy I apologise in advance. I love you and our baby so much :)
Keep talking to me, even if I don't seem happy about it. I'd like your voice to focus on
Massages and head rubs when I need them please :)
Keep using positives. Remind me of the end result.
If I say I can't stand the pain and to take me to hospital, wait for the contraction to pass and then double check that request with me :p Chances are I won't feel the need to go then.
If I or baby am at any point in distress then of course do as needs to be done.
If at any point you feel concerned about something please say so to myself or the MW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back