Is This Odd?

dannii87

Reaction score
A health visitor has just called my house phone (I was upstairs so my step Dad took the call) to say she wanted to come round for a home visit to check up on me. She also asked if I was still working and how I am feeling etc... Is that normal? I have never heard of a health visitor coming round BEFORE the baby is born?

I've just left a message for her to call me back...

x

Maybe its because you had problems with your iron levels? they might just want to keep an extra eye on you. Sorry I can't be more help! :hug:

i havent been offered that myself, but i think MissSara is having a home visit soon. im sure its nothing to worry about and at least you dont have to go to them! :D

im sure babybee had a similar situation in that her HV wanted to introduce herself before baby arrived/

Never heard of it myself, perhaps it just means your HV lady is going to be really proactive and helpful :D

I had a letter a few weeks back off the HV saying she wanted to come round before baby was born and to phone her to arrange a time.

When I phoned her she said she hadn't relised I'd had a baby before when she sent out my letter and that she wouldn't need to see me now until baby was born because the appointment was only for me to get to know them and for them to explain what the HV will do once baby is here ect but because i'd had a baby I already knew all that.

Maybe that's what yours is for aswell, just to let you meet your HV and her explain about what they will do etc :)

It seems to differ from place to place, some come and visit you before hand and other after (I think they all come after) I've met mine already but not at home, she is lovely thanks god :D

Alex xxx

Hiya hun - yeah it's perfectly normal in this area, I met mine (who will most likely be yours too!) a few weeks ago. She's called Debra and she will bring your child's personal health record round, a book from the NHS and a few leaflets, etc. She'll also have a general chat with you, find out how you are doing, etc. She likes to meet people before bubs arrives, that's all. Once you've got the initial meeting out the way, she'll make her home visit to you once bubs is around 10 days old x

Not odd at all. Some HV like to sya hello before baby arrives. Others wait till after before meeting you.

Nothing to worry about at all :)

I don't think they do it here from what I have gathered of MWs, but I just read a story in P&B magazine where the lady had a visit from her HV at around 33/34 weeks so guess it is offered in some areas x

1sttimemum said:
im sure babybee had a similar situation in that her HV wanted to introduce herself before baby arrived/

yup! its nothing to worry about! she just explained what her job was and how she could help me once bubs was here xxx

Hi Dannii,

Its a personal choice if you get the offer of meeting your HV before little one arrives or not, I had the offer and wish I never had done thats because my old HV was a complete witch who looked down her nose at everyone.. and was critising my home.. but these are rare.

I changed her the minute I could... but most HV are lovely and the one I have now I couldn't be more happy with and she is one of those if your coping will leave you alone and if your not shes there to support you, but not pushy or intrusive.

I in all honesty think its nice to know whos coming to your door.

Its like the MW for the few days or weeks after you have had your baby I had 3 different ones over a 3 week period.

Dannii please do what you want to do.. and my comments are not meant to scare or alarm you, but if you feel uncomfortable with whom they have sent be it MW or HV you are within your rights to change both MW and HV.

Take care :hug: :hug:
Kathy x

I haven't had experience of this myself but I know the HV did a home visit to meet lad who works here and his OH before baby was born I guess different HV's like to do things differently I think its quite nice for them to meet you before I should imagine it would help them spot PND easier if they know what you are normally like too.

Yep, I had that with my first when I was living in Surrey. Nothing to worry about, they just want to introduce themselves and tell you what they're there for. My HV visit was fine...

Miss.Monroe said:
i havent been offered that myself, but i think MissSara is having a home visit soon. im sure its nothing to worry about and at least you dont have to go to them! :D

I'm having a home visit on Tuesday, but its not off the HV its the midwife that comes to me from now on.

Never heard of HV coming round before baby, but there nosey anyway so maybe yours wants a little nosey before lil lady arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back