Health Visitor

-Cat-

Reaction score
Hey peeps,

Just had a call from my health visitor. Apparently she 'likes to visit her girls' before they give birth to discuss things before the baby is born, so she is coming round tomorrow afternoon?

Anyone else had this, if so what do they talk about, do they do any sort of check up, or examination as well?

Hi Cat

I dont think she will do any examination, as far as i can remember, mine just talked about her job, what she did, what she can offer and help you with after teh babys born.
she will also go through all the check ups the baby has for the first 3 months of his life etc.

she will prob want to know if you plan to breast feed, and if not why not etc, she will ask you if you have any worries and try to give you hints and tips of how to do things.

some can be really interfering so watch out for that, but hopfuly you will have a nice one

xx

your lucky.... i cant even get an appointment with my midwife..... let alone any one else :(

awww i think that's nice, she obviously want to put you at ease cos it can be a bit weird straight after the baby is born there's a strange woman coming round all the time!

Hi

I have my health visitor coming round in 2 weeks time. I put her off for a week as we are decorating our conservatory. Me and my bf have also been invited to a parents-to-be-evening which we are not really looking forward to. Apparently its a chance to meet and chat with other pregnant ladies / couples over a cup of tea or coffee. Its not our thing atall because we are quite private people and like to keep ourselves to ourselves but I am worried the health visitor will think we are unsociable so and so's if we don't show our faces :)

Am very interested to know what happens when the health visitor comes over so let us know how you got on cat.

lou :)

Our health visitor is a right busy-body, I'm sure she was a social worker in a past life. In fact, appointments with her are the only thing I'm dreading this time.

The boys were both quite podgy, so obviously we were feeding them too much, Charlotte's always been skinny so we must have been starving her.
She doesn't like it that I work and leave OH in charge of the kids during the day, and then she doesn't like it that OH is a DJ and works evenings.
She doesn't like that we moved from a tiny two-bedroomed house (3 kids in a 6ftx8ft room) in a 'posh' area to a 6 bedroomed house in a less affluant part of town (shame we didn't get to change HV when we moved).
We've always had cats in the past and every time she told us to get rid of them or they'd kill the baby (one less thing for her to whinge about this time as we don't have any pets).
She moaned at me for bottle feeding Daniel, but moaned last time when I planned on breast feeding (I gave in to her and bottle fed). This time she can whistle - I'm breast-feeding and if this one has the same problems as the first two, we'll deal with it at the time.
She doesn't like Daniel cycling to and from school (10 minutes away with no major roads) and thinks I should take time off work to drive him because he has asthma and needs to use his inhaler before he sets off.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that WOMAN!!!!!!!

If you end up with a HV like mine, don't let her get to you. Chances are slim though - everyone I know outside the area always seem to have really nice HVs. Low house prices round here have nothing to do with the area - it's because people have heard about the HV!!!!

Tracy xx

omg she sounds like a complete bitch! I wouldn't put up with any of that nonsense but then I suppose they do have a bit of a hold over you which could be quite intimidating I expect. I have only spoken to my HV once on the telephone and she sounds ok but if she gives me any crap I'm going private!?! lol can you get private HV's?

I like to think I am pretty clued up on baby matters so hopefully I won't be intimidated. If I need to know anything I always come to the forum anyway because the doctors surgery or the hospital can make you feel very small and very stupid very easily! Everybody here is so patient and understanding.

The more we chat here and share info the less we will have to ask our HV's and then all the nasty bitchy ones will be out of a job! :)

Lou :)

i dont see my health visitor till 4 weeks after bub is born! my midwife looks after me for the 1st 28 days and then passes me over to the health visitor. think id rather have my midwife there after as shes been with me all through my preg (shes my aquanatel teacher too!)
she said she'll come round every day for the first few days and then every other day and so on until im passed over to the health visitor.

My HV told me she will see me once before the baby comes then for a week after then like you say she will hand over to someone else. Its all quite confusing and it annoys me how they assume we know everything without having to be told.

I had a huge arguement with the lady at my local hospital when I tried to book ante-natal classes because I'm not having my baby at her hospital but it is handy for ante-natal as its so close. She was very rude to me and said they give their spaces to local ladies. Bloody cheek! I told her me and my bf pay our National Insurance and our income tax and our council tax and I should be allowed to go where ever I want! Apart from anything else the hospital is my local hospital, I just don't want to give birth there because I received terrible treatment there for a kidney infection and they are constantly having outbreaks of MRSA and they have the highest death rate in the country. Call me old fashioned but who the hell would give birth somewhere like that!?!!?! Come to think of it do I really want ante-natal there anyway?!?! lol

Lou :)

tracyM said:
Our health visitor is a right busy-body, I'm sure she was a social worker in a past life. In fact, appointments with her are the only thing I'm dreading this time.

The boys were both quite podgy, so obviously we were feeding them too much, Charlotte's always been skinny so we must have been starving her.
She doesn't like it that I work and leave OH in charge of the kids during the day, and then she doesn't like it that OH is a DJ and works evenings.
She doesn't like that we moved from a tiny two-bedroomed house (3 kids in a 6ftx8ft room) in a 'posh' area to a 6 bedroomed house in a less affluant part of town (shame we didn't get to change HV when we moved).
We've always had cats in the past and every time she told us to get rid of them or they'd kill the baby (one less thing for her to whinge about this time as we don't have any pets).
She moaned at me for bottle feeding Daniel, but moaned last time when I planned on breast feeding (I gave in to her and bottle fed). This time she can whistle - I'm breast-feeding and if this one has the same problems as the first two, we'll deal with it at the time.
She doesn't like Daniel cycling to and from school (10 minutes away with no major roads) and thinks I should take time off work to drive him because he has asthma and needs to use his inhaler before he sets off.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that WOMAN!!!!!!!

If you end up with a HV like mine, don't let her get to you. Chances are slim though - everyone I know outside the area always seem to have really nice HVs. Low house prices round here have nothing to do with the area - it's because people have heard about the HV!!!!

Tracy xx

my old one was like that, i hated her!! i tried to breast feed on my daughter but couldnt so when i had my son i didnt even try, i felt better just going straight to a bottle, well, she made me feel like i was such a bad mother coz i wasnt giving my son the best start in life, Bitch! who did she think she is telling me im not giving my kids the best start in life.

and the worse things was, she never had kids of her own, so she was quoteing text book stuff at me, grrrrr

i have made sure that i havent got her again for this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back