Health Visitor - Infant feeding

Rachel1509

Reaction score
Had a phone call this morning off the health visitor saying she's coming to visit me at home next week to discuss the infant feeding checklist.

Can anyone explain what happens at this appointment so I'm prepared? Is this where I'm going to be encouraged to breastfeed when I don't want to? :/

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I had my first meeting with my health visitor yesterday but i was very lucky in that she was on the fence so when i said i was going to formula feed she said dont worry i dont care as long as the baby is fed and putting on weight, and was happy to answer all my formula questions

She ddint go into feeding very much other than that though, it was all about the do's and donts of having new baby home, most of it was common sense like dont shake ur baby and then watchin g for the signs of postnatal depression

Not sure if each area does the health visitor thing differently though

Sorry if thats not much help but my advice is just put ur foot down its your baby and if you choose to formula feed thats your rightivwii

In my area we don't see hv until we've been discharged by mw xx

My area is same as Vicki's
We meet the HV after the birth once discharged from MW so about 2weeks after the birth. xx

My HV came out and asked more questions about - do you smoke, drink, take medication - asked me about how I plan to feed but made no judgement or comment - you are not required to answer anything you don't feel comfortable with or have them in your house if they do make you feel judged - I think in hindsight I would of had someone with me during the meeting and will do next time

Thanks for the replies :)
Shortly after writing this, I then got a letter through the post for another appointment with someone different, but from the Health Visitor department, wanting to come to my house to just introduce themselves and explain what they do, how they can help out etc.

Feel a bit more at ease about it now, so thank you :hugs:

i didnt know quite what to expect either. i saw mine on monday and she just had a chat with questions about health, lifestyle etc. she did explain a lot about PND which i think they keep an eye out (which is a good thing i think). she was very supportive and didnt push for me to do things in a certain way (ie. i plan to breast and formula feed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back