Is it safe to eat chinese when pregnant??

kaz1983

Reaction score
Morning ladies hope you are all well?

Just a wee question on if it is safe to eat chinese takeaway when pregnant. I have had chinese food a few times since becoming pregnant and have never felt ill (apart from when I was feeling queasy no matter what I ate)

I had chinese food last night and now I feel a bit queasy. Have not had anything to eat yet so having a biccy and going to get a Lucozade to see if Im just hungry but one of my work colleagues said I shouldnt eat chinese cos Im pregnant - is this right?xx

I'm sure it ok hun, I'd maybe avoid the sea food dishes but I wouldn't worry :) hope you feel better xxxx

I've had Chinese food a couple of times and been fine hun. Haven't heard any reason why not to! Hope you feel better soon :-( xxx

I'm sure it ok hun, I'd maybe avoid the sea food dishes but I wouldn't worry :) hope you feel better xxxx

I've had Chinese food a couple of times and been fine hun. Haven't heard any reason why not to! Hope you feel better soon :-( xxx

Thanks girls I thought it was ok as have had it a couple times and really enjoyed it and wasnt ill. Im hoping Im just hungry and minion is trying to tell me to get something to eat so Im away to do that just now

Kayelle - I avoid seafood dishes all the time even when not pregnant Im boring when it comes to chinese usually beef and onions or peking chicken thats my limit haha xx

EssJayPea - snap same as me wondering if it was just cos havent ate at that chinese for a while will avoid it just in case

Thing is mum had chinese too not the same dish but she was fine maybe still a side effect of this cold I cant seem to shift xx

I've eaten Chinese and been fine just avoid sea good like others said - I think it's because some Chinese dishes things like the sticky sweet and sour stuff contain a high amount of MSG (monosodium glutamate) this makes my heart race if I have too much of it, I think in theory it could do that to baby too but I'm not entirely sure! X

The only thing I would avoid (in addition to the seafood) is reheated takeaway curry or chinese. Mainly cos rice is one of the main sources of food poisoning in general so I'm only eating freshly cooked rice at the moment.

I am so boring with Chinese, always chicken balks and beansprout side haha!

Chinese is fine to eat, but as dyscochick said, make sure the rice is not reheated, as reheated rice could make u sick, pregnant or not x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

The amount of Chinese I ate the last 5 months lol...
Rice and seafood and all....
Luckily still alive but we always buy from a restaurant not from a fast food place just to be extra safe.

We have had Chinese about twice in the past 4 years and since being preggers I have had it a good few times!!

I didn't eat seafood prior to pregnancy and we don't reheat leftovers (what leftovers)

My Mum does suffer with the MSG though and sometimes will get an upset tummy after eating Chinese!

xxxxxxxxx

We always have chinese leftovers om nom nom nom. If properly stored in the fridge the rice is ok to reheat.
The only reason for our leftovers is that we always buy an extra portion for next days lunch :blush:

Chinese is fine, but as the others have said store it carefully and dont reheat the rice.

If you are really worried I could come and eat it for you? LOL!!! Honest it would be no bother :D xx

I've had Chinese quite a few times since getting pg. I have to say I'm guilty of reheating rice as I had forgotten it can be a bad thing. I've been lucky that I've had no ill effects from it.

I always reheated rice :blush: Chinese or home cooked... Actually just ate some paella cooked 3 days ago...:blush:

Hope you should know better!!! biggest food poisoning cause is rice! make sur you cool it quickly if you do then! xx

He he i always put it in the fridge right away :) and at the coolest compartment.

rice is a big part of Greek cuisine really. I reckon I millions of Greek and Italian people survived I will do too :p

I never knew that about re heated rice..you learn summink new everyday :)

We order from a restaurant as well and the are also a restaurant that don;t use MSG so not an issue.

I have to admit I am not usually a fan of chinese but since being pregnant I have been craving egg fried rice and chicken in plum sauce ALOT! and you know what they say if you have a craving you should feed it :)

Thanks girls I thought it would be ok to eat it especially with me being so adventureous with chinese....NOT

I didnt know about reheated rice being the main source of food poisoning will watch out for that but like Carnat said "what leftovers" haha

Firstbabyeek - thanks for the offer but most of it did get eaten last night and didny fancy reheating it for breakfast but I will remember your offer in future lol

Feel ok now think I was just hungry this morning but cos I didny feel hungry I was blaming the chinese oops

How many of you are now in the notion for a chinese haha xx

I'm British-born Chinese, so I ALWAYS want my Daddy's cooking. He's a take-away chef but his home cooking is amazing - better than takeaway food, with no MSG and nasty stuff in it. I've been trying for weeks to get hold of some free range pork ribs to make his spare rib recipe, but nowhere stocks them because it isn't barbecue season yet :wall2: When my parents visit they bring me all sorts of yummy stuff for our freezer. Sorry if that made you jealous :) I'm so lucky! :whistle:

Maybe just don't have it too often, because a lot of chefs overload it with MSG, which makes me feel a bit weird and thirsty afterwards. Can't be a good thing. That said, I have a weakness for the Asian instant noodles in soup that you get in Chinese supermarkets and they are REALLY unhealthy. Oops.

I'm British-born Chinese, so I ALWAYS want my Daddy's cooking. He's a take-away chef but his home cooking is amazing - better than takeaway food, with no MSG and nasty stuff in it. I've been trying for weeks to get hold of some free range pork ribs to make his spare rib recipe, but nowhere stocks them because it isn't barbecue season yet :wall2: When my parents visit they bring me all sorts of yummy stuff for our freezer. Sorry if that made you jealous :) I'm so lucky! :whistle:

Maybe just don't have it too often, because a lot of chefs overload it with MSG, which makes me feel a bit weird and thirsty afterwards. Can't be a good thing. That said, I have a weakness for the Asian instant noodles in soup that you get in Chinese supermarkets and they are REALLY unhealthy. Oops.

No not at all jealous you lucky girl it sounds amazing what they bring you. A nurse from here is married to a chinese man and the home cooking he does is absolutely amazing Ive heard not sampled it yet

Dont think i will have a chinese from anywhere in the near future more to do with the fact I am watching the pennies (just in case I lose bet with hubby and have to pay for dinner 2 weeks today over sex of minion lol)

Im the same with supernoodles they must have all the crap and additives under the sun in them but omg the chicken ones are just so tasty xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back