Is it just leg cramp?

MaryLouise

Reaction score
Hi there all, I'm after some advice! Last night I woke myself up screaming as I became aware of why I realised I had cramp in my right calf. It was really really bad, I've had it once or twice before but not during pregnancy. It eventually got a bit better and I was able to go back to sleep despite my leg still aching. This morning when I got up my leg was still hurting and it hurt to bear weight. Throughout the day it has gotten better but I still have an under lying ache. This is worrying me, surely it shouldnt still hurt? I've looked it up on the web and it says that cramp is due to a lack of calcium or potassium so its a good idea to drink milk or eat a banana before bed. But it also says that if the pain continues that it could be thrombosis.....I've got no other symptoms, no swelling or redness and the leg doesnt hurt all the time, only when I am walking on it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I be worried? Should I go to the Dr, only I'm not at home, I'm in London so I would probably have to go to A&E which I dont want to do if this is normal pain?! What shall I do?
x

I'm told if cramp is bad you can strain muscles so maybe that is what you have done. Sometimes if we don't get it straight/flex it quick enough it can cause it to ache for a fair while. I've had this a fair bit especially in the past few weeks waking with cramp.

If it was DVT I'd be expecting it to be painful all the time not just when walking on it. Plus other symptoms which you don't seem to have.

I'd be inclined to think you've just strained your leg muscles and when you put weight on it it will be painful.

If in doubt give NHS Direct a call and tell them everything. I'd personally not be going to A&E or worrying overly, but you have to decide for yourself what you feel comfortable with :)

My calf often aches after I've had cramp. It usually feels sore for a day or two. like Sherlock says as if I've strained the muscles :D

Give it a day and if it isn't feeling a bit better then I would get a doctors appointment to get it checked out :hug: Hope it feels better soon :D

Thanx Sherlock, I think your right it would be more obvious, I think I will leave it and if it gets worse or continues I'll go yo the Dr when I get back home x

When I was about 15 I would get craps all the time and sometimes they would be painful after all day, its nasty. Hope it feels better soon :hug:

I get this during my sleep on a fairly regular basis and only since I was pregnant. Midwife advised last time to drink plenty of fluids because it can be caused by dehydration which we're more prone to when preggas :D

Does hurt like a beast for 1-2 days though :evil: But it's always because I stretch my leg out whilst asleep and the calf muscle locks (I'm faintly aware of this and can sometimes stop myself if the muscles feel tight) and then I bolt upright going "ow ow owwwwww!!!" and frantically massaging the muscle until it's well enough to go back to sleep.
Once it was so bad I woke hubby up and was close to tears because I couldn't get rid of the cramp so he had to massage it for me :(

Banana's are excellent at combatting cramps... sommat to do with potassium i think :)

I had the exact same thing last night but with my left calf. It is so painfull and really annoying waking up in that much pain. Mine is sore to walk on today too but I'm pretty sure it's muscular.

Hope your leg is better today, and heres to hoping that the cramps don't become a regular thing because they are horrible.

Alex xxx

I've been getting this throughout my pregnancy, most of the time i can tell when its coming and striaghten my leg in time to stop it becoming agony.

However when it come on properly i roll around the bed in pain, start sweating and make funny noises, it aches after and i'm usuallu limping for a few days after.

I had it saturday morning and tuesday was the first day i could walk normally again, its horrible tbh

I woke my hubby up at 2am going owwwwwwwwwwww. It really hurt, I had to get him to bend my foot as it was stuck. Ached like a bugger for days but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Mine was at 20 weeks.

I had terrible leg cramps during pregnancy and like you worried myself silly when it still hurt days later. I asked my GP who said it was totally normal as you can pull the muscles in your leg if you have really bad cramps and they can stay sore for a few days.

Tonic water before bed worked wonders for me :D

Emma58 said:

I've been told to try this too, i have to admit when i was drinking it i didnt get any cramps and now im not they've come back!

abcd1234 said:
Emma58 said:

I've been told to try this too, i have to admit when i was drinking it i didnt get any cramps and now im not they've come back!

I found this too. Bananas just gave me chronic heartburn

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back