is it because am breastfeeding?

angela-

Reaction score
:oops: :?

hi this is a really strange thing to ask but hear goes>
how long does it take to come back on your menstrual cycle after having a baby? niamh is nearly 10 months now and still nothing, could it be because i am still breast feeding? i do get pains sometimes but nothing comes! i am getting worried now incase something is wrong. my family all breast fed but said theirs came back with in a month. does it sound like something is not right.? help. :( xxxx

everyone is different - if you are really worried id go see a doctor. :)

Like the last post, everyone is different but I dont think that sounds strange. I mean, if you have a decreased chance of getting pg then it must be interfering with your cycle somehow.
Im very impressed, bf for 10months :wave:

I didn't have a period for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages, it didn't bother me at all, I was glad to be rid of it for a bit!

i had one normally with my first baby then with the other three nothing at all for months! its was great!
i had my first after rachael last month.

My periods didn't come back until 15 months after the birth, so I've only had 2 now. Everyone is different though, and it also depends on on how much you breastfeed at night (this is when your hormone level is highest) and if you co-sleep.

It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about but if you are still worried then have a chat with your doctor. :hug: :hug:

sarah i hadn't heard of that one about co sleeping and breastfeeding a lot at night. i do both. so it makes sense.

Yeah I do both too, although not so much now.

The body is pretty incredible really isn't it???!!!!

:) :hug:
thankyou all so much! yeah i do both, yes it does make sence! i just didn't know anybody who had gone so long before starting agin. It is great not having them tho on the good side of it. Also because she is not sleeping through the night, the only way to calm down the screaming at night is to put her on the breast, do they have nightmears so young? :? because when she wakes 3 - 4 times she is really upset. (so night is when i feed her the most) xxxxx
:hug: :hug: :hug:

I saw my GP on Monday as I am still bleeding from birth..he said if i am exclusively b/feeeding i am unlikely to get periods

SarahB do you have a reference for the co-sleeping/lactational amenorrhea link? Would be really interested to chase it up :D

I don't have a link I'm afraid, I heard it ages ago and can't remember where from. :think:

But there are a few good websites that talk about it,

try this

this is an excellent website and provides loads of information there.

or this

Hope this helps :hug:

I know others have already replied but just thought I would add, my periods have only just returned when Ellie was 8-9 months old. I am normally only feeding her once during the night occasionally not at all, and occasionally more than that. Must admit I was starting to get a bit worried too. Strangley I wasn't sure if the first one was a period as it lasted less than 24hrs, wasn't at all painful. However the second one came 27 days later (my normal cycle) however again wasn't at all painful and this one only lasted a bit less than 48hrs. I don't know if they are lighter because I am still BF?

hi chick
yeah it is worrying is'nt it, it prob will be because of the bfeeding, i guess it takes time. your little one is ten days older than my Niamh! she was born on the 17th weighing a big 9lb 12 1/2 oz Yes ouch i hear you say! :lol: xx

Thanks Sarah! I'm interested as lots of papers on ancient societies talking about using lactational amenorrhea as a method of contraception, but as periods can come back within 3 months it didn't seem that effective me. So it makes much more sense that the effect would be increased by co-sleeping as that would be the case in ancient societies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back