iron tablets

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
ive been put on iron tablets (just below boarderline iron levels). just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this, i know some people hate them and they have helped others.

im worried about constipation :x

im also on iron, 3x 400 mg cos my levels have been so low.. ive been on them a month now, and first yes i hated it, cos my pooh went black and found it quite hard to go, but if you take plenty of other iron with them ie pure orange it does get easier and the side effects start to fade away..

they are working for me thank god, but not quick enough ... :hug:

I have been on Iron tablets since i was 14 weeks pregnant, went from 1 to 2 tabs a day. I am getting constipation really bad, but if i take a couple of days of taking 1 or no tabs i manage to go ok.

Unfortunately it does turn your poop black but it is good for you and baby. Dont take it with dairy products as this prevents absorbtion, but plenty of orange juice and green leafy stuff and beef (unless your veggie) and you should be able to come down and maybe eventually off them althogether.

I've been on 2 a day since about 29 weeks and they took away my restless legs, breathlessness and tiredness.

Sometimes I get really bad stomach pains from not being able to go to the toilet so I stop taking them for a day or two and then start them again. I doubt the doctor would approve of that but never mind! :lol:

i'm on them... for about a week but they made me feel a bit sick at first... i'm finding very easy to pass.... it's very dark and green :oops: but i have not be constipated since i've taken them

My MW put me on iron tablets but my iron level was fine, as my GP later told me, so I stopped taking them and feel fine. Here they say if your level is below 11 you will be put on iron tablets, and to help that drink orange juice daily as it helps your body absorb the iron more effectively, as iron is something we cannot retain.

As for the constipation, some women do have it as a side effect, I personally sometimes get constipation even though I'm not on iron tablets, so I guess its not always avoidable without iron tablets, understandably with all the extra weight from LO etc My homeopathy friend advises to soak 3 tablespoons of Linseed in water overnight, then eat the next day, to aid better, more oily stools and stop constipation :hug:

Hi I have been taking them for about a month. Take them after a meal and it helps to stop them making you feel queasy. They did make me constipated for the first couple of weeks, so was taking movicol. But my body seems to have got used to them as I am OK now.

In order to absorb iron you need vitamin C, hence the orange juice. I have found orange juice gives me indegestion if I drink it in the evening though! Can't win!

I've always had iron tablets cos i've always been anemic. they used to give me constipation but i think my body has adjusted and i don't get it anymore :)

yea u cant take them with tea or coffee neither. gotta take them 10-2hrs init so whats that actually mean 1hr or 2 hrs before u can have a cuppa tea and their 3times a day :p

mine are x3 200mg

I'm taking Pregaday generally with fruit juice or plain water. I have no problems at all with constipation. :) Although I do think they give me a nasty taste in my mouth. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back