Anaemia

mandspice

Reaction score
My blood test results show that I'm anaemic (never was before pregnancy). Has anyone else got anaemia brought on by pregnancy? I'm still taking pregnacare which does have iron in it.

The doctor has taken more blood to check iron levels and then will decide whether to give me tablets but in the meantime any diet tips? (I hate red meat!) Thanks :)

I had it with all my pregnancies. Eat spinach, broccolli and veg like that, and drink orange juice at the same time. Can you manage mince at all?

Poor you if you go on iron tabs, they make your poo black :(

I'm 14 weeks now and also suffering from anaemia plus a very low blood pressure. The exhaustion is overwhelming! :sleep:
There is several tips and facts about getting more iron into yourself,
You don't have to load up on red meat! Although it is the easiest source to absorb iron, when you are low in iron your body automatically increases in efficiency of absorbing iron from any sources containing it.
Fortified cereals like ready brek, special k, bran flakes are all good sources. Soya milk also and the key to good absorption is having something with it that is high in vitamin C like fresh orange juice.
Pulses like chickpeas, beans, lentils. Dried fruit like Apricots, theres some really nice juicy ones in the supermarkets now! Dark green veg.
And if you like ginger....1tsp of dried ginger has 1mg iron in it! I mix it in with my ready brek or sprinkle it over meals to give a warm, sweet kick! ALos calms any sick feeling.
And CAFFIENE seriously prevents absorption of iron so stay clear of caffienated fizzy drinks or coffee within an hour of eating.
You probably will still need iron tablets though as pregnancy puts so much more demand on your body. They work well but the principles are the same have something vit C rich when taking and stay clear of caffiene for at least an hour either way. They may make you constipated and have black stools and give a icky tummy but its worth it just drink plenty and eat plenty wholegrains to keep it moving - also containing iron!
Hope this helps,
Good Luck :hug:

Thanks so much for the advice :hug: I love most of the food above and do eat a lot of it so I'll just have to eat a little more - I could do mince at a push.

I also have low blood pressure, well, 90/60 - do you know what yours is EJ?

Black poo sounds delightful! xx

At my booking in appointment my iron levels were ok but I have another appointment soon so will find out if they still are ok

Spatone is good for iron, its a sachet of water you drink with orange juice. It doesnt have the same yucky side effects as the tablets. You cant get it from the chemist or holland barrets :)

Glad I could help. My BP is 70/50 so I'm doing everything half speed and craving salty things! It's so frustrating because I'm normally really active.
I just hope it improves with the iron levels.
Gale force winds and snow here today so today I feel quite content snuggled up in doors!
take care :hug:

chocolate especially dark choc is rich in iron too :) and as has been said green veg and tomatoes too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back