intuetive eating (please help!)

Doodles

Reaction score
someone on here told me about intuetive eating the other day, been doing this the last few days but have a slight problem, what do you do if your hungry no matter what you eat?! Please, please healp, so far today I've had 3 ryvita with tomato & onion, a small bowl of rice with broccoli, peas, sweetcorn & ham & scrambled egg with ham on toast (the last two were within 15mins of each other!!), I've really been paying attention to what I'm eating and pausing between each mouthfull to see if I'm full but I'm not, infact I'm absolutley ravenous, leaving for work in less than an hour & wont be home until 7.30pm so if I'm this hungry now I'm worried I'll be ready to eat my own arm by then lol

(intuetive eating says that you should eat when your hungry & stop when your full, but what if you have a big appetite like it seems I have?)

x x x

when i lost my weight i stuck to protein food which is rather filling i never mixed carbs and protein together either. the first few days are the hardest hun its your mind playing tricks on you i promise the crazy hunger pangs will ease off after a few days. I started back on my diet today as i need to shift a few pounds i put up since mc. Hang in there your doing fab xxxx

Last edited:
thanks hun, just munched on some oatcakes (5!!) thankfully back to work today so will be burning of lots of calories, think I might have to pick up some grapes on weekend with the weekly shop & pop them in the freezer for when I'm having a "see-food-diet-day" (i.e eat everything in sight haha) x x

There are two elements to your diet that i'm not too convinced with... firstly, like Amyrose suggested - there isn't much protein - and secondly everything you are eating is cold and therefore too readily available.

If you were actually having to cook your snacks that you would be more satified by the smells and distraction of putting the effort in and having to wait for it to be ready :)

Oatcakes and Rivita isn't very healthy if you have to eat a whole packet of them ;)

Maybe get some sliced meats in and boil some eggs up. You can only eat so many eggs and if you put something strong like mustard on the sliced meat it should be quite effective too - it is for me anyway :)

A warm drink with each snack might help too.

Good luck Doodles :hug:

How much are you drinking? They say it's hard to differentiate hunger and thirst

Also, I've always eaten like this - but when I've eaten a lot, on holiday our something like that, I have to train myself back to my normal appetite, I'm always hungry for the first few days but when I've settled I'm fine

someone on here told me about intuetive eating the other day, been doing this the last few days but have a slight problem, what do you do if your hungry no matter what you eat?! Please, please healp, so far today I've had 3 ryvita with tomato & onion, a small bowl of rice with broccoli, peas, sweetcorn & ham & scrambled egg with ham on toast (the last two were within 15mins of each other!!), I've really been paying attention to what I'm eating and pausing between each mouthfull to see if I'm full but I'm not, infact I'm absolutley ravenous, leaving for work in less than an hour & wont be home until 7.30pm so if I'm this hungry now I'm worried I'll be ready to eat my own arm by then lol

(intuetive eating says that you should eat when your hungry & stop when your full, but what if you have a big appetite like it seems I have?)

x x x

Hey Doodles, sorry, I didn't give you the full lowdown on IE, there's a lot to it which is why I suggested that you have to read the books.

My guess is that you are not feeling full because you will never feel full/ satisfied if you don't eat what you really want to eat. I doubt that any of the things that you have eaten are what you really want to eat because in your mind you are trying to be 'good'. IE is not a diet and if you think of it as such you will always be subject to the 'on the wagon/off the wagon' diet/binge cycle. Instead, it's a way of trying to be 'normal' around food without it being the enemy. The good part about this is when you do it, you lose weight!

The principles of IE according to one of my favourite books, 'Beyond Chocolate' by Sophie and Audrey Boss are as follows:

- Tune In (ie check with yourself to see how you are feeling, are you hungry? What for?)
- Eat when you're hungry (Not too hungry or you'll overeat)
- Eat whatever you want (Honestly! Over time, this will get more balanced/ 'healthy')
- Put it on a plate, sit down and focus (otherwise you'll miss out on the eating experience)
- Stop when you're satisfied (Sometimes that's different to being full)
- Enjoy (the food)
- Own your body (try to accept yourself, if you keep being nasty to yourself, you won't change)
- Move! (Find ways of moving that you enjoy and aren't just to do with losing weight)
- Support yourself (Ask for help, well done you already do that on here!)
- Be your own guru (ie rather than Weight Watchers, Atkins, Slimming World etc telling what you should eat)

If you question yourself - 'I can't possibly feel full; I've had X and Y to eat!' You are doubting your body's ability to self-regulate and living according to someone else's rules. Why can't you still be hungry? Who says? All of us on here have become experts at listening to our body and interpreting its different cues in terms of ttc, it will take time to do the same thing with hunger. I've taken over a year to realise that before I used to eat when really I was hungry for different things - a hug, a nap, company, reassurance, a glass of water, the chance to rebel against whatever diet I was on at the time. Now I'm much better at distinguishing between stomach hunger and other types of hunger - it's then up to me what I do about it.

I used to eat pans and pans of vegetable soup, bowls and bowls of pasta with tomato sauce and never feel satisfied just because a diet said they were 'free'. Now I can have two spoonfuls of cake and feel satisfied because that's what I really wanted in the first place. Sometimes I will actually crave vegetables or fruit because I know I'm 'allowed' to eat whatever I want.

All of this takes practice and time, it's not easy but, in my opinion, it's much easier than the diet/binge cycle and the way that that process makes you hate yourself and feel out of control.

Take care xxxxx

(ps I always wanted to know this about Intuitive Eaters when I started: I'm 5'8'' and a size 12, I don't weigh myself because scales are another torture tool of the diet industry but I'd guess I'm 10 and a half stone. I was 12 stone 3lbs when I put my diet weight back on for the tenth time and realised that diets don't work! My lowest diet weight was 9 stone 4, everyone said I looked too thin xxx)

Hmmm.

The plan does make a lot of sense but it also seems like it's assuming that the individual has control and rationality but if we had that where food was involved then we wouldn't need to diet in the first place :eh:

I wanted a foot long subway with chicken teriyaki and cheese and mayo and hot chilli sauce and that is what i got and ate in it's entirity. I don't expect to lose any weight :(

Definately buy the book if you want to follow a specific plan Doodles so that you can really appreciate the concept :)

Hmmm.

The plan does make a lot of sense but it also seems like it's assuming that the individual has control and rationality but if we had that where food was involved then we wouldn't need to diet in the first place :eh:

I wanted a foot long subway with chicken teriyaki and cheese and mayo and hot chilli sauce and that is what i got and ate in it's entirity. I don't expect to lose any weight :(

Definately buy the book if you want to follow a specific plan Doodles so that you can really appreciate the concept :)

Oh no, Louise, far from it! It assumes that you are so fed up of feeling out of control that you are at the end of your tether! All of the IE books I have read spend a long time reassuring you that the way you feel about food and the fact that you can't stick to a diet forever are not your fault. It's the diet that makes you feel out of control around food, not the other way around: for every diet there is an equal and opposite binge.

It tells you to have the subway if it's what you really want but to focus on eating it slowly, enjoying it and stopping eating it when you are full. I doubt you would eat a whole foot of sandwich before feeling full! You can have more of it later, when you are hungry, if you want it.

I could easily have eaten feet and feet of subway when I was in a binge response to breaking a diet but now I don't diet, I wouldn't eat that much in one sitting because there's no need to. I'm not 'starting again tomorrow' any more.

But yes, read as much as you can about it if you're sick of feeling out of control and not trusting yourself around food. If you prefer dieting and want to do that, good luck with that too. xxxxx

wow I'm even more confused now lol, Scotch Egg, that's a good point hun, I'm not drinking much (other than tea) so think I might start keeping a bottle of water with me to see if that helps.
Just worked out what I've eaten today & I'm pretty pleased that not only am I well below 2000kcal but I've also had my 5 a day (something that rarely happens lol)

Vegetable & Bean Chilli with Rice
5 Oatcakes
Scrambled Egg & Ham on Toast
x3 Ryvita with Tomato & Onion
Rice, Ham & Veg
Cups of Tea

To be honest, I have been eating the things I fancey, greasy food makes me feel miserable because it upsets my stomachs & I enjoy salad & veg, plus I've not been banning or even limiting carbs :/ to be honest I think I'll carry on the way I have been and just try drinking more before automatically filling my face lol, tomorow going on the theory that I'll have Scrambled Egg on toast for breakfast, rice & veg for lunch, couple of ryvita for mid day snack, a vegetable stew for dinner and up to 5 oatcakes for supper, I'll be on even less kcals which, considering how many kcals I'm burning, I think is pretty sensible x x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back