Internals whilst in labour.....

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
This will sound so wimpy but I HATE internals, I actually find them painful :oops: I'm more worried about having an internal than I am actually giving birth!! :oops: I know you have to have them so they can check how dilated you are but do they always use the speculum? And how often do you have them? I've heard if you have too many it can cause an infection, is that true? I know once I'm in actual labour I probably won't care and will be high on G&A (I hope!) but I'm a bit worried about when I'm in early labour and more aware of having one (if that makes sense??) My cousin had her baby a month ago and told me she needed G&A for the internal alone, she couldn't do it without so I thought maybe it isn't just me being a wimp as when I had my internal I didn't have anything but the doctor who did it tore my cervix a little and it hurt loads. But now for some reason I've started to worry about it, I don't know why. I'm really relaxed about the idea of labour and birth, its just the internals I'm dreading! I don't know why I'm feeling like this, I've been fine up until now. Sorry for rambling on and being daft. Thankyou in advance if you have read this. Suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance and that I just had a bad experience and its not always like that? :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hun, do you think you may be worrying over the internals to focus on something kwim??
If your ok with the thought of labour and a big baby coming out of there, then somebody feeling or even the speculum in reality is nothing in comparison! Try not to stress over it! Try and focus your nerves on something else more constructive!
I dont even ever remember having any internals though I know I would have but it shows you how much you really dont care about it when your in there! Even when the pains aren't so bad you will be wanting to know how your progressing so you probably wont mind so much even though the thought of it now is horrible! :hug: :hug: :hug:
And in pregnancy or not I have never had a "bad" internal as such! Maybe a little uncomfortable but maybe that one you had was a one off and things will be fine hun! :hug: :hug:

They don't use a speculum when doing internals when you're in labour. THey just measure with their fingers how your cervix is.
In early labour they can be a tiny bit uncomfortable but most of that is psychological. When further on in labour they're uncomfortable because you don't want to stay still long enough :lol:

You can put in your birth plan that you only want necessary internals and that you want them to discuss with you why they want to do each one. I put this in my birth plan with my first (wanted a real natural affair and just didn't want messing with) although it went out the window as I allowed the student midwife to help out so there were internals galore :lol: still I didn't find them painful at all and I'm sure you won't either :hug: :hug:

As far as Im aware, they like to keep the amount of internals they give you at a minimum to prevent any kind of infection. So thy will probably examine you when you first go in to assess where you are at then you will be left for a few hours depending how you get on. With my first baby I was examined on entering the hospital at 7am (was 4cm dilated) then they didnt check me again until I buzzed them at about 11.30am cos I felt the urge to push!! (was then fully dilated!) With my second baby I was again examined on arrival but was already 8-9cm and progressing really fast so didnt have another internal after that. They will only mess with you to assess your progress so if you are comfortable in your labour and they can see you progressing by the way you cope with it, then they will only give you internals when they feel its necessary. You might receive more if you have an epi perhaps, because you wont be able to tell yourself how things are going. TBH Ive never found them painful, and they dont use a speculum in labour just their fingers, its just uncomfortable more than anything, but once you are in the throws of labour you really wont care. In fact you might be glad to hear how you are progressing and you never know, you might surprise yourself and arrive at the hospital at 7cm and not need examining again! :pray: Really hun, do not worry about it, Im sure you will cope just fine :hug:

I never really had an internal whilst in labour. I got on the bed when i arrived at hospital, mw looked 'down there', ran out the room and shouted that they needed a trolley as i was 7cm and baby was well on her way! She just looked, never really felt anything. Suppose it depends on experience and stuff. That was all the way through at she just looked! The most i was touched was when my waters had gone and she checked as it was coming out.

I had one internal when the midwife first arrived. She just used her fingers, it was a bit uncomfortable & made me bleed but I was already 6cm and 'stretchy' so couldn't really care less! The hardest bit was having to lie still on my back during a contraction while she was doing it as I coped with all the other contractions leaning forwards either on the sofa or my birthing ball.

The first time they checked me after I was induced...I was ready to push.

When you are in labour, you will not really notice when anyone is in that area, and if anything you will be waiting for good news. xxx

Dont worry, when your in labour you will probly find you wont care anymore! I was checked when i arrived and was 10cm so told to stay on the bed :shock: , and was then checked before i wanted to push to ensure everything was ok.
Think it was just with their hands but dont remember! :?

Hiya
I had one when i first got to hospital and was 7cm, but dont remember it being overly uncomfortable or anything. Had a couple more during labour but was too busy concentrating on contractions to care! Im sure if you let them know you are a bit nervous about internals they will make sure they are extra gentle and check you are ok, but im sure it wont be half as bad as you think! :hug:

I was only checked internally 3 times - once when they inserted the pessary to induce me, the second time to break my waters and the third to see how far dilated I was when I was about ready to push. They never used a speculum, and the first time was the most painful but the third time I never really noticed as I was on the gas and air and getting ready to push anyway.

You honestly won't care what they are doing down that end when it comes to internal etc. I had one as soon as I arrived at hospital because I went in wanting to push.

I barely remember my internal. The contractions were more painful at that time so I didnt care.

Thankyou girls :hug: :hug: I feel a lot better now, think I've just been having one of those hormonal wobbly moments! You've reassured me loads, thankyou :hug:

I know what you mean, I hate ppl fiddling with ma bits (within reason ;)) but like u I actually prefer the thought of baby coming out its moire comfy if that makes a wee bit of sense...

LisaJ1986 said:
I never really had an internal whilst in labour. I got on the bed when i arrived at hospital, mw looked 'down there', ran out the room and shouted that they needed a trolley as i was 7cm and baby was well on her way! She just looked, never really felt anything. Suppose it depends on experience and stuff. That was all the way through at she just looked! The most i was touched was when my waters had gone and she checked as it was coming out.
she must have given you one without you noticing or she wouldnt have known you were 7cm, as far as im aware it isnt something they can tell from just looking down there :wink:

I barely noticed the MW was doing an internal... was 9 cms when she did it :shock:

my MW didnt use a speculum just her fingers- didnt bother me at all really i was already 5cm when she got here so was in quite a bit of pain, i barely remember her doing them tbh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back