Did you prepare for labour in any way?

Daffodil

Reaction score
Hi Mums

I'm listening to a relaxation and deep hypnosis every day. The hypnosis gives you suggestions about the birth and says things like "you will cope with birth very well" and "you are looking forward to the next contraction" (that last one makes me lol :rotfl: )

Did you prepare for labour?
Did it help?

Did you read things about labour?

Did it all go right out of the window as soon as labour started?

After watching that documentary on unassisted births (which I'm NOT doing by the way - I'm obviously having midwives even though I want to give birth at home).... I was SO impressed by one woman who gave birth seemingly without pain... she was totally "mind over matter"...

Do you think this mind over matter stuff actually works?

Thanks
Dawn

I don't go for hypnotherapy or anything like that but definately believe in mind over matter. Also that if you know what is causing the pain you can rationalise it better and deal with the pain easier. OK its not for everyone but it works for me.

I had a natural homebirth and remained focused in the last few weeks of pregnancy and kept very positive about everything. I remained active but also got lots of rest.

I was never scared or worried about going into labour. I was ready for it in a calm way. So when it happened I was relaxed and went with it all. Didn't fight the contractions or tense up when they happned. Just worked with them, breathing well and doing things like opening my hands so my palms were face up rather than clenching my fists closed.

I did whatever my body seemed to tell me also. I stayed mobile, walked, leaned on the stairs and so on during contractions. Also when each one was happening I talked out loud to myself and so my OH could hear me so he knew what I was thinking and how I was coping.

I certainly never found my contractions so painful I could not bear them and wanted stronger pain relief. In fact, the first stage was harder pain wise. Once I was fully dilated and wanting to push it wasn't pain I felt. I felt exhilarated and worked with my body and being able to feel my baby coming down.

Its not for everyone but it worked for me :)

I did absolutely nothing! I refused to hear people's stories, as i found the people who insisted on telling you tell you the worst bit. I never read up on it. I wouldn't even think about it.
I'm only of these people that panics over everything so i didn't see the point in worrying myself over the inevitable. It was gonna happen anyway.
I just decided i enjoyed pregnancy so i was excited about birth and the outcome.
I was so pleased this way. All i prepared myself for was a long labour. I was in labour 3.5 hours!
Everyone's labour is different and so is their experiences. I dealt with it in my own way and it worked for me.

Nah, not really... didnt worry about it.

I took RLT capsules, but as it turned out my LO was breach and the MW never noticed, even though I kept telling her that his head was in my ribbs I was sure... so I had an emergency Cesarian Section soon as I got to the hospital.

I didn't prepare at all! It all comes so naturally, you honestly don't need to :D

I read up on the different stages of labour and how they would feel so I wouldn't feel too confused. I also got my hands on a hypnobirthing book and practiced the breathing techniques in it which definitely helped me cope with the pain. The main thing I think was to approach labour with a relaxed and calm attitude and just went with the flow - I didn't want to waste any energy on getting worked up and stressed about things like not being able to have anything stronger than gas and air, or crying and panting through contractions like the girl in the bed opposite me. I can't speak for long, drawn-out labours (I was induced and went from no contractions to very strong ones in a short amount of time), but that approach worked for me. :)

When you read about labour, most stuff tells you about what happens physiologically. You won't give a monkey's about that! :rotfl: I read Birthing From Within over and over. It was great, full of real advice such as it will hurt, it's hard work and you can do it. I really recommend it. I didn't remember or think about any of it in labour though. But make sure your birthing partner has read everything you want them to and knows what you'd like to be reminded of.

It's not that bad, it's really hard to explain why. Like Sherlock says you know why the pain is happening. Or as it says in my beloved Birthing From Within, there is a difference between pain and suffering. You will be in a heck of a lot of pain but that doesn't mean you will be suffering.

I edited the wrong message :wall:

:D
Thanks

I should maybe chill out a bit!

Sherlock, your home birth story is inspiring.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and tell myself that my mothers horror stories are just her jaded memory.

Dawn
x

Time changes your memory of labour. OH's sister was due on the day I gave birth and throughout labour I told OH to tell his sister that labour was OK really - it seemed important to me to send that message while I was going through it in case afterwards I thought I was just remembering it that way :rotfl:
But the memories fade so you just have the facts to go on. In my case a 55 hour labour, my waters were broken after 50 hours and I then threw up with every contraction until I was given a spinal block 5 hours later as they thought they would have to do a caesarian but fortunately managed with forceps. I was so tired and exhausted that I kept falling asleep and the only reason I know I was awake when she was born is because they wouldn't have got her out without me pushing. Sounds horrendous, doesn't it? It wasn't at the time but I wonder if in the future I will just remember those facts and be another horror story even though it was OK at the time. It really was OK, you just go off into a little world of your own and don't give a hoot about anything else. Though that may have been the gas and air :rotfl:

Afterwards is horrible for a few weeks though - get a rubber ring to sit on or piles of cushions.

ETA: The reason I told you all that was to explain why I think you should just ignore your mum's horror stories. I'm not saying petals fell from the ceiling, candles flickered and so on, just that if it was THAT bad people wouldn't do it again.

Obviously not had my LO yet, but I do beleive in mind over matter!

eg, with most people who are ticklish, if you tell them before you tickle them calmly what you are about to do, and they prepare themselves to think 'It doesn't tickle, they are just touching me' with most, it just won't tickle so much!

I'm not going to be doing much prep, just going to do what my body says which is what I've done through pregnancy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back