Interfering Mother in law!!

angel1987

Reaction score
Aaaahhh mother in law is driving me mad!
She has just let me know that she really doesn't like the name that we have chosen for our son (due in Sept), and that we should think of something else! We have chosen the name Jax, I know not everyone is going to like it, but he is OUR baby!!
She lives quite a way away, but my husband has arranged for her to come down for 2 weeks just after Jax is born, I don't know how I'm going to cope, I can see her being very interfering and making me feel like I am doing everything wrong. Jax is my first child, so yes I'm not going to know everything, and it is going to be a big learning curve for us, but I don't want her to make me feel like an awful mum, if I need advice I will ask for it, I've already told my mum to makesure she always has her phone close by! lol. Feeling very stressed about her coming now!
Sorry for the rant, really needed to get that off my chest!:mad:

Once its his name what else can she do
You'll put up with it to a point then it'll only take for you to snap once before she's put in her place
Although your OH should put her in her place first before she gets to that level over taking-over-ness

It really is your hubby's responsibility to ensure that she know boundaries. Just make surer he knows that you cant be blamed if it gets too much one day and you snap!

Ah dont talk to me about motger in laws!!! Mine drives me mad....wish i was fortunate that she lived far away but no such luck! Xxx

Sounds just like like my MIL - Which is exactly why we kept our name choice for DD a secret and will do this time round also. Tempted this time round though to name the bubba after her MIL (and watch her explode when announced) - It also just happens that we like that name honest!!!!

Look on the bright side, it'll be two weeks - Then she'll be gone. xx

Two weeks??? I could not cope with that straight away! You hrave brave woman lol xxx

If thats the name u like then thats his name, I made the mistake of telling my mum names we liked the only names she likes for a girl or boy are naeve or declan, were not choosing either of those but she goes on and on and on, at the min im biting my tongue, its driving me mad, I actually wish id listen to my own advice, shes put me off every name I ever liked rar!

We're definitely keeping our names secret for that reason, don't want family to ruin the names for us or criticise them! You should call your child whatever you want to! X

We've kept our name a secret from friends and family too. By pure coincidence my MIL bought Harrison up as one of the names that she really disliked and I did have to just sit there and accept it. But thats his name now, and I dont give a crap what anyone else thinks haha.

Whats she going to do, refuse to call him by his name once he is born haha.

But I definitely know where you are coming from with interfereing MILs - although take pity on me as im currently LIVING with mine!

Oh my god, what is wrong with the woman? Its not her place to even have an opinion. I love the name jax! If you and OH love it then that's all that matters. If she comments again, tell her that it's really not her decision and you'd rather not talk about it again.

Also, I can't IMAGINE having my MIL staying with me with a newborn, especially my first. Is there anyone else who can put her up while she visits? It wouldn't be unreasonable to say you just want a quiet house to bond with your baby and get used to a routine for the first few months even x

Thanks everyone, I wanted to keep his name quiet until he's born, but OH let it slip! ggrr! Think I'm just going to have to bite my tongue, though not sure I will be able to stop myself from snapping once she is actually here. She could stay with my mum, but like my OH says she won't see the baby again until we go to visit her in January, and then it would mean us driving over to my mums constantly so she can see Jax while she is down here. I'll have to keep telling myself that it's only 2 weeks!...Though a long 2 weeks I think it is going to be.... xx

As you say hun, he's your baby so it's your choice, end of!! Jax is very cute. Why don't you arrange for her to stay with your mum for a few days while you settle into a routine, then maybe she stays with you for a week? Also put her to work, there'll be cleaning, cooking and washing to be done and you'll be busy with your gorgeous boy :) xxx

Yeh as taffy said if you find her wee jobs to do she may not stay so long after all haha, luckily my parents and his family live close enough that nobody needs to come stay with us, his mother is quite old fashioned though I think shed be shocked to see hubby pushing a pram, he cant wait, has done practice laps around the living room haha, and I just know she will comment on how I hold the baby, and my choice to bottle feed but im gona bite my tongue because we generally have a good relationship, but if id have to spend 2 weeks with either of our parents id crack up

its a lovely name - I have made sure my mum and MIL dont find out as they will comment on names i just know it
My MIL lives 10 mins away and her first grandchild and i know shes gonna be full on - but i am going to put my foot down. Shes already said she will be up hospital and waiting while I am in labour - ER NO U WONT - not going to tell her till moo arrives

I would find it very hard to have my MIL or Mum staying the 1st two weeks, does it have to be them weeks she comes?
cant she come weeks 3-4? you sound like u have got your head around it
just know that whatever u do its your baby and u will make mistakes we are all going to - xx

I dont plan on telling either of our families until vaby has arrived and ill be telling them to come at different visiting times

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back