Insomnia ?, scrap charting and just opk ?

lillith112

Reaction score
I've suffered with insomnia since having glandular fever in my mid 20s, I'm finding charting really difficult as some nights I just don't sleep or very little sleep so I'm not getting that basal reading, do you think I'm best off just scrapping this and use opks instead ?. xx

Last edited:
Hey,

I started temping this month. But from advice on here I gave it up. I have an 18 month old who gets me up a lot during the night and wakes anytime from 6am - 9am.

Following advice you are meant to take the reading at the exact time each day and when you have been in bed for a few hours. So I didn't think it would work with my situation.

Like I said it was my first month. So I have no charts to go off.

Have you been able to identify when you have ovulated using your charts? And took OPKs that have showed positive? If so it may be working for you. If not I personally would just use OPKs.

Sorry I can't offer you any more help.

Xxx

Thanks hun, I've only recently been charting, the last time I did it was 14 years ago, I had insomnia back then so not sure how on earth I did it but those charts showed ovulation. This time around my temperature is all over the place because I'm waking up at all different times through the night and temping different times. I've not opk before either so this will be the first month for me, fingers crossed I get a positive on it as my partner and I are doing the SMEP plan. I think I'm going to scrap the charting, thanks for your help xx

Last edited:
I charted before we got pregnant with my son 3 years ago & I found it really useful, but TTC this time I gave up after one month, as with a toddler who is a very early riser & has a tendency to wake me all hours, the readings were just nonsense!

I'm just using opks now :)

Thanks birdie, that's what I'm going to do, this will be my first cycle trying opks, I really hope I get a positive. So if I don't get a positive does that mean I'm not ovulating ?, I'm so scared of not getting those two dark lines x

Last edited:
No, opks do not tell you if you actually ovulated - just that you had the hormone surge that triggers ovulation. It is possible to get the surge but not actually release an egg. I had an ultrasound scan to actually confirm that I was ovulating.

I also keep missing my surges with opks - they seem to happen overnight for me every so often... So I get darker lines but not full positives then the next morning feint lines or nothing! It's nothing to panic about... I just trust that I'll ovulate 12-24 hours after that and watch for Ov pains as a more sure sign - or cm is a good indicator for some people. I find using 3 opks a day often helps me catch the surge too by the way...

Last edited:
I recommend using at least two opks a day to catch surge. Could use two different brands too, then there is less doubt on reliability. I used two brands this month and they were both positive - made me feel better

I just posted on another thread about bbt charting....it's completely stressed me out, constantly analysing whether I am ovulating. Perhaps it's best not to start - it's just another thing to worry about

Thanks Birdie, blimey I thought a positive opk meant sure ovulation, I don't get any ovulation pain, I do get cm and ewcm but if we are doing daily Bbd I can't see any ewcm which is really annoying so lets hope the opks do their job in February....Hey Lottie thats a good idea to get 2 different opk brands, I will have a look on ebay or Amazon tomorrow, I've got the one step ones here x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back