Info for dummy users

babynumbertwo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought some of you might find this useful.
I've just been reading about dummy use and its relation to cot death -my baby is a dummy addict so I found this interesting! It suggests that if your baby uses a dummy it should be given consistently to settle baby at the start of every sleep period. If it isn't given then the risk of cot death is higher for that sleep. Once you start using a dummy you shouldn't stop before 6 months. After 6 months the risk reduces. However, it also says if baby will not take to a dummy when you first try one then you shouldn't force them.

Dylan likes his dummy to settle him but when he falls asleep he spits it out would this defeat the object would it only help prevent cot death if he kept it in his mouth? i dont put it back in when he falls asleep but if im increasing the chances i might just drop the dummy all together.
ooooh im all confused!! have i miss-understood?

Keelie dont get your self all flustered hun! Dummies are fine! Im not sure where babynumber2 got her info from but this is whats published on the FSID website
Settling your baby to sleep with a dummy, even for
naps, can reduce the risk of cot death. If breastfeeding,
do not begin to give a dummy until your baby is one
month old to ensure breastfeeding is well established.
? Don’t worry if the dummy falls out while your baby
is asleep, and don’t force your baby to take a dummy
if he or she doesn’t want it.
? Never coat the dummy in anything sweet.

Heres some more info for you
http://www.sids.org.uk/dummies-news.html

Yes I wouldn't worry. I followed that advice, didn't force the dummy on her when she didn't want it and she stopped using it well before 6 months.

Hi keely

Sorry I probably wasn't clear - it says to settle to sleep only. If it comes out when they are asleep that's fine, you shouldn't force it back in. I think what it's trying to say is once you've started you shouldn't stop because that's what increases the risk - so in your case it certainly would seem that they would recommend to keep the dummy!
If anyone is interested then there is a fact sheet dated Nov 08 from the CPHVA (HVs association) which is referenced. Hope that helps. I was just posting as I thought people might be interested really rather than to express a personal opinion. Lea Ms link seems to be pretty much the same but I think (could be wrong) that the info about not stopping before 6 months is quite new - I'd certainly not heard that before.

thank you all. much appreciated :D
I am a stresser, im sure most of you have noticed :lol:

thanks for the links
and was very thoughtfull of you babynumber2 to post when discovering new information.

Thanks all :hug:

The dummy is a bit of a godsend at the moment with poor Hays skin, thanks for this info...

Yeh I agree dummies are great!
I have never heard of the "before 6 months" thing either but not to worry as I doubt I will take it from her then! I usually try for around 12 months!

Most cot deaths happen between 1 month and 6 months so thats why its important. Dummies keep babies awake and prevent them from falling into a deep sleep. The current SID's research suggest that deep sleep is what can cause SIDs (its why babies should be put to sleep on their back because they sleep better/deeper on their front).

I'm all for dummies... Tia had one and it was a life saver. She only used it at night and we got rid of it when she was 3. Got them for lil miss too...in all shapes and sizes, she was never impressed with them despite much encouragement so I binned them all by 6 months... such a waste :roll:

Luke has a dummy to go to sleep, settle him etc. I see nothing wrong in using them and the relation to cot death is correct.

If your LO doesn't use a dummy, then the risk is not necessarily increased, but it apparently is, if you remove the dummy from them (I don't know what that time scale is - 6 months would seem about right though). We discussed this a few weeks back at my BF peer support class.

The deep sleep thing, is of course, another reason why BF babies are at less risk of cot death, simply because they don't get into such deep sleeps as FF babies because of the way breast milk is broken down so quickly.

It's all very interesting and Luke will have a dummy for the foreseeable future :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back