help please...........

Nic'n'Keeley

Reaction score
hi i wana breast feed when my bubba is born but i've heard you can't use a dummy for the first four months if you breast feed? i only wana use a dummy cos i've heard it reduces the risk of cot death! can anyone help i'm confused :wall:

I never heard that one before either, its probably bull u know what mags are like but im sure someone will know..?

i hope so i'l ask my midwife on wednesday when i see her hopefully she will know lol, hows your pregnancy going?

I breastfeed and Ella had a dummy at 7 weeks as she was constantly comfort feeding. It really helped :) She decided herself that she didn't want it anymore after a few weeks and I can't remember the last time she had it (months ago).

Personally I wouldn't use one straight away as it could cause nipple confusion, but I don't see a problem with it after a few weeks.

I have heard of the cot death thing, but there are some other facts you mnight be ineterested in too:

The reason the dummy is thought to help is because it keeps the balnket away from the mouth while it's in the mouth. For this reason if the baby spits out the dummy or it falls out when the baby is asleep then the dummy has no effect on cot death BUT....

If a baby uses a dummy consistently for ages the risk of cot death when it doesn't have the dummy is INCREASED.

Here's an article on it:

Dummies may keep the airways clear, researchers say
Giving a baby a dummy when they go to sleep may reduce their risk of cot death by 90%, a US study says.

It compared 185 cases of sudden infant death syndrome with 312 healthy babies and adjusted for known risk factors.

The British Medical Journal study found the benefit was greatest for children sleeping in an "adverse" environment.

It said dummies may help stop babies from cutting off their air supply. UK experts welcomed the research, but stressed it was a small study.

HOW TO REDUCE COT DEATH RISK
Put your baby to sleep on its back
Do not expose your child to smoke
Keep your baby cool, with its head uncovered
Parents should not share a bed with their baby if they are very tired, smoke or have been drinking or taking drugs which make you drowsy. But the baby should be in a cot in the same room for at least the first six months

The adverse conditions included babies sleeping in a house where both parents smoked.

Cot death rates have fallen in recent years, but it still claims the lives of 300 babies aged under a year old in the UK every year.

The researchers, from healthcare provider Kaiser Permanente, say that approximately one in 2,000 babies die of cot death in California.

But, if all babies used a dummy, they calculate the risk would be one in 20,000.

They say the key may be the fact that dummies usually have a bulky external handle.

This may help to prevent a child from cutting off its air supply by burying its face into soft bedding, or an overlaying object such as a blanket.

Writing the BMJ, they also say sucking on a dummy may enhance the development of pathways in the brain that control how airways in the upper respiratory system work.

Previous research has also suggested the use of dummies can cut the risk of cot death - but not to the same extent.

The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID) recommends that if a baby is using a dummy regularly then it is best to carry on.

Two research studies published since 2000 showed that babies who usually use a dummy but then stop are at an increased risk of cot death on the night they do not use it.

However, the charity said statistical analysis was very complicated, and the findings required careful study.

In a statement, FSID said: "Our advice is that it there is no reason for parents not to use a dummy but if they do, they must use it every time the baby sleeps and never forget to give the baby the dummy."

The charity also recommended:

* A dummy should not be coated in a sweet solution

* It can be taken away when the baby is about 12 months old

* If a mother is breastfeeding, it might be best to wait a month or so before introducing a dummy

Heather Neil, a post-natal tutor with the National Childbirth Trust, said: "This study may well add to what we will eventually know about [sudden infant death syndrome], but case control studies trying to isolate single factors demand larger numbers than have been recruited here, and this study does not tell us why dummies appear to have the effect they found.

"So while the NCT welcomes all research into this topic, on the basis of this study, we really can't say that parents should do anything different from the current 'reduce the risk' guidance."

Hope that helps :)

right so just checking i have this right if you use a dummy for a long period of time when you come to take is away, i could be increasing the risk of cot death....?

princess nic said:
right so just checking i have this right if you use a dummy for a long period of time when you come to take is away, i could be increasing the risk of cot death....?

According to some people, yes, obviously I'm not the expert so am just going on what I've seen in the news etc.

Just found this aswell:

Do dummies reduce the risk of cot death?

The evidence in this area is complicated.

Research suggests that, for babies under a year old, those who always use a dummy and babies who never use a dummy may be at lower risk of cot death than babies who usually use a dummy but failed to do so during their last sleep.

In other words, if your baby is using a dummy regularly, this use should continue.

On the current evidence, researchers do not recommend dummies to reduce the risk of cot death.

ok thanx that's helped, how many of you have used a dummy and how old was the baby when you started to use a dummy?

Hi

I gave Olivia a dummy when she was a week or 10 days old (can't remember which of the two it was) She was a very suckly baby and my nipples became sore after hours of me sitting with her using me as a dummy!

Olivia is breastfed and over the past few months she's used her dummy less and less (she has only ever had it at nap times) so I think she'll stop using it soon anyway.

Lucy

urchin said:
If a baby uses a dummy consistently for ages the risk of cot death when it doesn't have the dummy is INCREASED.

Yes my Health visitor told me this a few days ago... they say if you give a a baby a dummy to go to sleep with, then you have to use the dummy EVERY night until they are 1.

But they can not quote to much yet as the research is only american based and very minimal.

xxxx

do you use a dummy keely? great name by the way that's what we're calling our little girl keeley-paige lol xxx

yer i posted on your other topic about the name!! hehe ... your little girl will be very happy cos I LOVE my name have done since i was little.

I do use a dummy but was not planning too as i was going to breast feed but it didnt suit me and i was not enjoying it, bottle is much better for me.

I only use a dummy on ellis if he is screaming before a feed, to carm him will i get the bottle ready, also use it if he has had a good feed but still will not settle.

xxxx

hi ive just notticed this thread. I give Colby a dummy all teh time and she will NOT go to sleep withought it. My reason for starting her with a dummy was because Adele wouldnt take one and she uses a label and sucks her thumb and rubs the label off a blanket accross her nose to go to sleep. Now her thumb looks really sore, her thumb nail doesnt grow properly because she sucks it all the time when shes getting tired or if shes listening to a story im reading or watching t.v. I took her to teh doctor as it was starting to get little tinny water blisters on it and the doctor gave me like a nail varnash thing thats supposed to stop you from biting your nails, it didnt work and were now trying to get the blanket away from her before she goes to school next yer...lol

i didnt know that by having a dummy reduces cot death either so im really glad that Colby does take a dummy.

princess nic said:
hi i wana breast feed when my bubba is born but i've heard you can't use a dummy for the first four months if you breast feed? i only wana use a dummy cos i've heard it reduces the risk of cot death! can anyone help i'm confused :wall:

a breast fed baby is unlikely to want a dummy anyway. non of mine did.

My baby was and still is breast fed and he had a dummy for the first four months between feeds.

He was never that interested in the dummy though and ditched it at four months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back