Ditching the dummy and swaddle - my story

LISAMJS

Reaction score
Hi

I have seen so many posts where people are looking to ditch the dummy so thought I would post my story.
DS was 5 months old when I decided enough was enough. I would have to swaddle him to get hm to sleep and bear in mind he is a big baby and outgrowing his swaddle. I would have to then give him his dummy which would fall out in the night. As he was swaddled he could not sooth himself.
After a record 15 times of putting the dummy in one night I decided that was it today was going to be the last day with a dummy.
So in December with the suport of a babysleep site I went cold turkey on both the swaddle and dummy. (he was also teething at the time)
The first night I was in and out of his room like a yo yo. The second night was easier and now he is doing so well. I am so proud of my little boy and think I needed the dummy more than him. He is now much happier and sleeps happily in his cot with his sleeping bag.
To anyone who is looking to ditch the dummy or swaddle I would say go for it. You may have a couple of tough nights but in a week or so you will be thinking I am so glad I did it!

xxx

Well done! Ollie has never liked being swaddled so i dont have that problem but he does have a dummy.

I spent the first few nights constantly putting it back in but now i tend to leave him and he usually finds his hand and starts sucking on that. One thing i have noticed myself doing, which isnt good, is putting his dummy in as soon as i think he's going to cry. I swore i would never do that. Im trying to do it less now though and only use it when i really need to. So like yourself i think its me that maybe needs it more than him!

Claire x

Well done Lisa.
I remember your post where you decided to try after that horrendous night!!

we ditched the dummy when dd was around 5 months...it was a tough few days but like you I'm so glad I did it!!!! :cheer:

Well done you! I'd love to ditch Charlie's dummy, I've lost count if the amount of times during the night I'm up to put it back in :wall: swore I would never give Charlie a dummy but that went out the window when he was about week old :oops: I think I will try cold turkey & prepare myself for a few nights of hell. I hate seeing him unhappy though :(

I haven't quite got the guts yet to ditch the dummy. I find during the night putting it back in will get him back to sleep for another hour or two, therefore its too much of a godsend to ditch!

Respect to you ladies though!! :cheer:

thank you for your post. We are 3 nights in without the swaddle. Lottie has never been a great sleeper but we did have it down to one waking per night. Without her swaddle we have been back to 4 and 5 times. I have given the swaddling blanket to my sister, so I am not tempted to give in. So glad to read a positive post about this. :cheer: :hug:

Yay!
Does he suck his thumb/hand or is he happy with nothing? I'd happily take the dummy away but I would rather that than her sucking her thumb. If I could take it away without her sucking her thumb that would be great.

LISAMJS said:
You may have a couple of tough nights but in a week or so you will be thinking I am so glad I did it!

xxx

Thats what I always say to people! You have 2-3 night where they cry etc but thats it! Done with! If you leave it until they are 3 years old it will be a lot lot tougher!

Well done hun :clap: :clap:

kalia said:
Yay!
Does he suck his thumb/hand or is he happy with nothing? I'd happily take the dummy away but I would rather that than her sucking her thumb. If I could take it away without her sucking her thumb that would be great.

I cant say for everyone but none of my older 3 took to sucking their thumbs after we took their dummies off them! Though I did take theirs off them at around 12 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back