• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Infant gaviscon

Sassyjane

Reaction score
CJ has been put on infant gaviscon for his reflux, and when he has a dose he isn't sick and is very settled, however, it says he can only have it 6 times a day, and sometimes he takes 7 or 8 feeds a day..... I tried putting it in every other bottle, but when he doesn't have it he vomits, and it's all curdled and disgusting..... Not sure what to do, do you think I need to go back to drs with him?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Tired Mummy to Colby Jacques born 4/2/2013

Hi Hun I know it's really hard as can only give it 6 times if Ava had more than 6 bottles it was the matter of finding the feed that didn't make her as sick! X

I'm definatly giving it in middle of night and first feed of the day, as he can be really sick at these times, plus probably the last feed as dont want him sick before bed, maybe the tea time feed is the one not to give him it, as he will of had chance to get built up abit! I'm dreading the weekend as they haven't given me enough to go through I don't think, not sure what to do cos think drs will be shut today xx

I've got some that Ivan post to you but because its the weekend and bank holiday your not going to get it till Tuesday! I used to either miss the first afternoon or the middle of the morning she was sick and grouchy but not as bad as she was before she was perscribed it the only thing about gaviscon it does make a lot of babies constipated bout because the gaviscon was working they perscribed her lactalose too which worked. Really well along side each other and it wasn't long that she dropped that feed! You could try giving half a satchet in a feed and if that works you could give her 2 bottles with half a satchet in! So she is having a bit in every feed but not going over the 6 satchets a day! X

I have been told by gp today to put it in every feed and rather than shake the milk stir it. seems to have worked as no screaming fits during feeding. Just hope he doesn't get constipated now. xx

I have been told by gp today to put it in every feed and rather than shake the milk stir it. seems to have worked as no screaming fits during feeding. Just hope he doesn't get constipated now. xx

Even if it's more than 6 feeds?

Oh and Ashley, thanx for the offer and advice Hun xxx

Even if it's more than 6 feeds?

He only has 6 feeds a day. Spread out. It does seem alot yeah? I had the feeling gp was fobbing me off tbh!! He even gave it me on repeat so I dont have to go again so no idea what to do if it worsens xx

If CJ doesn't have it then he projectile vomits curdled milk everywhere virtually straight after the feed, which isn't nice for him or us..... Plus I don't have enough to get us to Tuesday, hoping the gp is open today but doubt they will be, just don't know what to do the poor love!!! Xx

When my LO started on it he was having more than 6 feeds in a day. But 1 dose is classed as 2 sachets. So they can have 12 sachets per day. I just used to put 1 sachet in per feed. It's worked for us. I think it depends on the baby and severity of the reflux, you could give it a go :) fingers crossed for you xx

Thanx for the advice Lolly, Cj is under the weight for two sachets I think, he is only 8lb 6.5oz, I assumed 1 dose was only 1 ov the little sachets which is all I've been giving him!! He just had 2oz without gaviscon, and so far so good, he fell asleep as has been fighting sleep for the last hour, he has been taking 4oz normally xx

Argh, he took the remaining 2oz and was sick :-(

My baby has been vomiting today too after each feed. It's a pain. He constantly has a bib on even when we go out and about. It's a shame oir babies have to have it xx

I've brought him to walk in centre as he is projectile vomiting, and isn't himself, he has been sick 6 times in just over an hour :-( xx

We have rinitidine, just had first dose!!!

He also filled his nappy but screamed the house down as it was solid and obviously hurt him, my poor baby :-(

We had the same problem when we started gaviscon and we were giving 7 bottles a day. In fact, this only recently changed. My LO was over the threshold for 2 sachets though, so I just discussed with the GP giving one sachet in each of 7 bottles.

Not sure what we would have done if my LO had been under the threshold like yours, it does only work if its in every bottle!

He is now having ranitidine, and I have changed him onto the cow and gate comfort milk tonight, so far, he has had only 2 doses of gaviscon this morning, and has only been sick once, plus alittle bit of posseting!!! I think him being sick was due to my oh not paying attention to him when he was feeding him..... Too interested in the bloody tv as usual!!!
He was soooooo constipated he took ages to fill his nappy and it was solid, he finally managed it about 6pm with alot of crying, think the gaviscon might of made him constipated, but could of being the milk, hopefully we have now turned a corner!!! Xxx

Hiya guys.

We give Katie HALF a sachet per bottle and it helps - a full sachet blocked her up and she had more feeds per day than allowed sachets.

We tried Ranitidine but she screamed house down and threw it back up so was put back on Gaviscon but half the does over more feeds.

Seems to of done the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back