Induction

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
Just curious really but if you have to be induced how does it work exactly? I've heard of 3 methods - pessary, gel or a drip. How does each one work and do you get to choose the one you would prefer? Also would they do a sweep first to see if that works or would they just go straight onto induction? And would they consider inducing if you've been in slow labour for a few days and not getting anywhere?

I didn't have a sweep but that's something they would do on or shortly after your due date to try and kick start things. Usually they would start with the pessary or gel if your cervix isn't favourable (i.e. closed and high up). Depending on whether or not your waters have gone they might give you a couple of tries on this. Some people it really kicks off labour for but what it does is help your cervix efface (become thinner) and dilate. For some people it starts contractions, others it doesn't. The drip really kicks off contractions and gets things going. It can be quite intense as the build up of contractions is quick rather than gradual.

Generally the midwives/docs will tell you what they recommend based on how you're getting on. You don't have a choice really on which method is used as they all do different things. If you're not comfortable with something it's your right to refuse it.

Not sure about the slow labour thing, though. From what I've seen on your other thread things are looking promising so you might not need to think about this at all. Good luck hun, you'll be holding your LO before you know it! :hug: :hug:

Ditto daftscotslass...they started me off with a pessary, then another one 6 hours later cos I was only 2 cm, after 2nd one I went into established labour. All depends how you progress and how you present. You're going to Nuneaton right? They were fab :hug:

Thankyou for your replies :hug: See my M/W tomorrow so hope she will do something if nothing has happened before then. Yeah I'm at Nuneaton, they seem really nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back