Induction with unfavourable cervix?

happy-chick

Reaction score
OK I had an internal yesterday and was told that my cervix is quite firm and not open therefore makes me unfavourable for induction although they are happy to go ahead if I choose to as im in so much pain etc.

Has anyone had an induction when they were unfavourable? Consultant said theres every chance that it will all go fine but does mean that theres a higher risk of the induction not working or it ending in csection.

Im getting pretty desperate now, im lots of pain and the main thing is that I cant sleep cos of the pain therefore its taking it toll on me physcologically aswell as physically as im so exhausted, drained & beginning to feel very depressed... Im seriously considering being booked for induction asap as dont think I can do this for much longer but wanted to hear if anyone else has experienced this or simular first.

I kinda feel like a failure if I choose to be induced & im also terrified that something will go wrong & it be my fault... help!

Also is there anything that I can take to soften my cervix? Gunna go to Holland & Barrat and see what they suggest.

First of all just wanted to send you some :hug: as I know the final run can be tough enough never mind feeling how your feeling. Only you can decide what is best for you and your daughter and if you genuinely feel that you can't take any more do whatever you feel you need to do. 100's of women are induced every day and give birth to beautiful healthy babies. Also remember you could struggle on and end up having to be induced anyway. Have you tried raspberry leaf tea or tablets as they are meant to soften the cervix?

Well with an unfavourable cervix, when they start you off, be prepared for a long labour. Basically the gels and drips will take longer to get the cervix open if its tight shut (obviously)... Although there is nothing to say that you will end up having a csection because of it. many women have inductions early which means their cervix is also unfavourable and don't have c sections, although they usually end up with forceps or vontose deliveries, because they get tired near the end.

Tbh Chick, I had severe SPD when I had Tia, and even though I wasn't induced, I was in so much pain at the end I would have done anything to be induced early. I remember being in tears to my MW because of it... Labour is bad, but it's nothing compared with having to put up with the splitting pelvic pain you have to endure day in day out. ANd you are right it is the psychological torture of lack of sleep etc that gets to you most.

When I went into labour with Tia, they put an epidural in, and I managed to get a couple of hours sleep (right when I was dilating from 4 to 10 cms) but it was the most sleep I'd had in about two weeks because of all the pelvic pain and it was absolute bliss.. :)

I'm starting to get the pain again and the past couple of days have been hard for me because I know I've got two more weeks of this :( and it was really hard last time, I know what I'm in for this time... and if I was lucky enough to be in your position (not the terrible spd but the offer of induction because if it ;) )... I'd go for the induction... It would be better to let it happen naturally, but for anyone who's had SPD and given birth, they know that the SPD is definitely worse.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

mum-2-one said:
First of all just wanted to send you some :hug: as I know the final run can be tough enough never mind feeling how your feeling. Only you can decide what is best for you and your daughter and if you genuinely feel that you can't take any more do whatever you feel you need to do. 100's of women are induced every day and give birth to beautiful healthy babies. Also remember you could struggle on and end up having to be induced anyway. Have you tried raspberry leaf tea or tablets as they are meant to soften the cervix?

Yeah been taking raspberry leaf tablets since 36weeks, just shows they dont work for everyone cos they aint done much for me!! :lol:

Your right, I could end up going right over and still needing to be induced & nothing to say my cervix will be anymore favourable then... argh i hate having to make a decision this big!

Thanks hun x

Squiglet said:
Well with an unfavourable cervix, when they start you off, be prepared for a long labour. Basically the gels and drips will take longer to get the cervix open if its tight shut (obviously)... Although there is nothing to say that you will end up having a csection because of it. many women have inductions early which means their cervix is also unfavourable and don't have c sections, although they usually end up with forceps or vontose deliveries, because they get tired near the end.

Tbh Chick, I had severe SPD when I had Tia, and even though I wasn't induced, I was in so much pain at the end I would have done anything to be induced early. I remember being in tears to my MW because of it... Labour is bad, but it's nothing compared with having to put up with the splitting pelvic pain you have to endure day in day out. ANd you are right it is the psychological torture of lack of sleep etc that gets to you most.

When I went into labour with Tia, they put an epidural in, and I managed to get a couple of hours sleep (right when I was dilating from 4 to 10 cms) but it was the most sleep I'd had in about two weeks because of all the pelvic pain and it was absolute bliss.. :)

I'm starting to get the pain again and the past couple of days have been hard for me because I know I've got two more weeks of this :( and it was really hard last time, I know what I'm in for this time... and if I was lucky enough to be in your position (not the terrible spd but the offer of induction because if it ;) )... I'd go for the induction... It would be better to let it happen naturally, but for anyone who's had SPD and given birth, they know that the SPD is definitely worse.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks hun that makes alot of sense, I am aware that it could mean a longer labour but I could have a really long labour anyway so spose theres no way of telling what will happen no matter what I choose...

Thanks again :hug:

I was induced with katie (My 1st)with and unfavourable cervix, they started off with a pessary up there and said if nothing happned i would get another 6hrs later. Nothing happned so i got another and THEN i started to feel something but apparently they were only prostin pain, but i was given pain killers.Eventually i was put on a pitocin (sp) drip and that made things go quicker. Get an epidural if you can/want one, i begged for mine as Katie had her back to mine :roll:

It will be longer than a normal labour and you will feel pain earlyer than normal and its very frustrating to be in pain and it not be doing much, but if your MW were like mine they will know you are in pain and will do all they can to make you comfi.

HTH and good luck. :hug:

I have read evening primrose oil can help ripen the cervix but to be honest wouldn't know how quick it worked etc- might take weeks to do something.

Not an easy decision for you to have to make. If you are becoming depressed though with the pain/lack sleep and that is only going to get worse then maybe although labour would be longer at least the pain would be over sooner?

Thinking of you :hug:

Just want to send you best wishes for whatever you decide. I am stalking you like crazy and have everything crossed for a quick and straight forward birth. After all of your sickness and SPD's I think you deserve something about this pregnancy to be straight forward.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My cervix was thick and closed when they started the induction with Aimee and I was fully dilated 6 hours after the induction started. So there is some hope :D

Thanks girls, i just dont know... trying to decide whether to ring hosp or wait arrrghhh!

I had an induction at 40+3 when my cervix was still completely closed firm and facing backwards.

It took 3 and a half days. :?

They said its closed, quite firm and still quite long.... not a clue what that means!

happy_chick said:
They said its closed, quite firm and still quite long.... not a clue what that means!

It's shortens, softens and moves forward as it dilates; I imagined it a bit like an unfurling elephant's trunk :lol:

Am sorry you're in pain :(

An unfavourable induction wasn't great for me. Have no idea if it was more painful than a 'natural', but just felt that 3 sleepless nights in a hot stuffy hospital, crap food, constipation and impatience never helped me prepare for the big event when we eventually got round to it!

If you're not as much of a wuss about hospitals as me though, you may be alrightxxxx

Minxy said:
happy_chick said:

It's shortens, softens and moves forward as it dilates; I imagined it a bit like an unfurling elephant's trunk :lol:

Am sorry you're in pain :(

An unfavourable induction wasn't great for me. Have no idea if it was more painful than a 'natural', but just felt that 3 sleepless nights in a hot stuffy hospital, crap food, constipation and impatience never helped me prepare for the big event when we eventually got round to it!

If you're not as much of a wuss about hospitals as me though, you may be alrightxxxx

Lmao im having images of elephants trunks coming out of my lady areas now :lol:

Yeah thanks hun, will see what happens i spose. I think im gunna wait until tomorrow n see how i feel about things then, if i feel like i do today then think i'll be requesting to be induced.

I appreciate how uncomfortable you must be, but I would really recommend not having the induction unless you really have too.

midna said:
I had unfavorable cervix when I had my sweep I even got a mere 1 on the bishop score thing and she said she was being generous ... but it must of done something coz I was in labour the next day :D

Can they not give you a sweep now whilst you decide?
Goodluck in what ever you decide. x

Thats what they tried doing yesterday but cervix is closed so she couldnt complete it, I was having loads of BHs after she did it yesterday but nothing again so dont think it worked. xx

I was induced at 2 full weeks overdue, I'd requested a sweep but couldn't have one as the baby's head still wasn't engaged. MW that did first internal at the hosp said I was less than a 1 on the Bishop's score thing, she said my cervix was far back and very hard . After 2 lots of Prostin and a crappy night in hospital, I was eventually put on th Pitocin (?) drip and had my waters broken by the MW. Jude was born 12 hours later and I managed on gas and air. It honestly wasn't that bad, so if you choose to be induced don't be scared. I actually have some nice memories of labour and birth despite being induced.

Hope you do well with whatever you choose :hug:

I was induced at 39 weeks due to the pain and distress I was in with severe SPD. The consultant felt that there was no benefit to keeping me pregnant any longer and offered to induce me. I agreed knowing full well that a caesarean was a real possibility. After 3 pessaries and no change in my cervix, I was booked in for a planned caesarean 3 days later. For me, choosing to be induced and then having a planned casesarean was the right decision although at the time, deciding to have a caesarean as opposed to another round of induction was a hard decision to reach.

For me, I had a gut feeling that I was going to go through induction and labour and end up being sectioned as an emergency. Who knows if that would have happened but to have a planned section was far more preferrable and I have to say a lovely experience. I can still vividly remember the SPD pain disappearing as the spinal anaesthetic began to work.

SPD can really take its toll on you and it can be hard to get people to take and it seriously and you are most probably physically and mentally drained by now. Make the decision that is right for you and your baby and look forward to when SPD pain is a distant memory and you have your beautiful new baby in your arms.

The fact is that an induction can be favourable for some women and unfavourable for others. I personally would not choose induction, from my personal experience, but if you decide to, then just go with that and be happy with your decision, that way whatever happens you'll feel happy you made the right choice for you, which is all that matters :hug: :hug: :hug: Because of the stage of your cervix, you would be fighting nature, so it may be wise to try and wait a little longer if possible? Very best wishes, it must be a hard decision to make :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hey hun big :hug: for you.

My cervix wasn't favourable when i went to be induced so much so i had a bishops score of 0!!

It took them 4 pesseries and 3 days for my cervix to have dilated enough for my waters to have broken.

You never know you may only need one pesserie -

good luk though hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back