Induction for personal reasons?

MummyJess

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma. My middle daughter has an ongoing medical condition that is controlled by regular operations at Great Ormond Street hospital, which is about 2 hours drive from our house. She generally only has to stay in one night after the operation. Normally her dad and I both travel down with her, either with the other kids or leaving them with my mum, depending on whether it is holidays etc.

This week, her condition worsened and she had to have an urgent operation yesterday. The doctors want her back in 4 weeks for her next operation, rather than the usual 6. My due date is 8th March and the operation is scheduled for 12th March. Obviously I realise that I will not be able to accompany her for this date, whether I have had the baby or not, but I am worried that the baby won't have arrived by then and I will go into labour while she is in London and my OH may miss the birth. And Molly will be in theatre while I am miles away having the baby. Obviously there will be complications with childcare for the other children as well and prob a million other issues that I haven't even thought of yet.

In addition to this, my Mum is due an operation on 4th March so would be unavailable to help as much as she normally would. My sister has a toddler and a new baby. My in-laws, though keen to help, are limited as to how much I could lean on them.

I have a consultant appointment next Tuesday because I have a history of big babies and I wanted to talk about management of labour bearing this in mind. I now don't know whether or not to bring up this new development and ask if they would consider a 39 week induction, so that baby is well and truly here before my mum's op and Molly's op. I don't know if I am just being selfish, wanting the baby out then because it would be more convenient and if this is even something they would consider.

Of course, there is always the possibility they may induce early anyway, because of the big baby thing, but if not, should I bring the subject of Molly's operation up? And how might they react? Should I mention it before the conversation about the baby being big or only bring it up if they don't offer me an induction for medical reasons?

Sorry if this is long and complicated, I just don't know what to think at the moment. I am tired and emotional from the past few days so am not thinking too straight at the moment.

I think it is a perfectly reasonable request under the circumstances - if fact I think you would be entitled to insist, and it is not at all selfish sounds to me like yo are considering everyone but you :hug: :hug:

I agree, I think that you personal circumstances make it very difficult and therefore early induction is a very reasonable option for you and I dont think its at all selfish you have your other children to think about too :)

Im sure the consultant will be understanding and given that you normally have big babies anyway I cant see any reason why they shouldnt induce you earlier than usual.

Good luck & hope your daughter & mums operations goes well too :hug: :hug: :hug:

Why is life so bloody complicated at times??? Give us all a break world!!!

:hug: What a dilemma, as already suggested, I think you have no option, you should talk to your consultant most definitely about this. You need to know whats going to happen. IMHO anyway.

Good Luck, let us know what they say.

Oh MummyJess, poor you! I really really feel for you. I hope your Mum and Molly are feeling a bit better soon. I'm sure everyone will rally round to help you regardless of how everything works out.

I wouldn't think it'll hurt to mention your daughter's operation and request an early induction - they can only say no. If they refuse, then at least you know you've asked.

Please keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you.

Valentine Xxx

Definately mention it Jess it is far from unreasonable to ask and if you are stressing about your mum and Molly when you go into labour it will effect how you cope with everything :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Oh my gosh after i read this i thought right thats it i will not dare to complain about any of my aches and pains or tiredness again for the whole of my pregnancy! What a lot of stuff you have to deal with you poor poor thing, i bet you've been going out of your mind with worry.
I cannot stress enough how wholeheartedly i feel that you are ANYTHING BUT selfish. I would urge you to definitely discuss it with your midwife who i reckon would be more than happy to help you with this. and if not, go somewhere else. Seriously. Although i don't know you i feel very strongly about this! Also you have so much going on that the stress of worrying about it all is not good for you either.
Promise me you'll discuss it ASAP? And please please let us know the outcome. Will be thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs :hug:

Sorry to hear about your daughter's ill health :hug:

I agree with the others, it certainly can't hurt to ask about an early induction. I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to request given the circumstances.

Thanks so much for your replies ladies :hug: . I really appreciate other people's opinions on this.

My OH doesn't think we should mention it to the consultant as he doesn't think that they will consider an early induction for anything that doesn't affect me or the baby medically but I am really torn. Like it has been said, surely the worst they can say is no :? ?

I am seeing my midwife on Monday, the day before the hosp appointment so I think I will definitely mention it to her, maybe in a 'by the way' conversation and just see what her reaction is or see if she can give me an idea of local policy. If she just blatantly says that it's not going to happen, I may just leave it with the consultant and really push for the early induction based on my previous big babies. Don't really want to alienate him :? !

Just to let you know as well, Molly is doing much better now she has been treated and got home in time for her birthday dinner yesterday! :) In case anyone is curious, she has a rare illness that causes growths in her windpipe, which affects her voice and her breathing. If they become too big, she can suffocate. Thankfully, this condition has been successfully managed for the past 3 years or so by regular operations (every 6-8 weeks) to remove these growths. It just seems to have accelerated since her last operation, just before Christmas, so the operations may now need to become more frequent. Hopefully just a temporary blip. She is otherwise a healthy, happy normal little girl. It is part of her and our life so it usually isn't a problem for us. The timing is just poor this time :roll: !

I will definitely update this post once I have seen my midwife and consultant to let you know how those conversations go! Thanks again everyone. If anyone else has personal experience of requesting early induction or just an opinion on this, I appreciate your view. :hug:

Bless your lil girl, its amasing what kids can endure and just carry on with their lives, bloody brilliant imho.

My friend has a daughter with a rare genetic disorder, in fact I think there are less than 50 known cases in the world. Her lil girl has endured many operations and my friend's life is dominated by her daughters condition. I honestly dont know how I would cope in a situation like this but I imagine you just have too and get on with it, I know my friend does and is constantly fund raising too. I live in awe of people like yourself and my friend, bloody brilliant strength and determination :hug:

Hi MummyJess, I live in Bedford too and from what I can remember the consultants at the hospital are pretty good. My waters went at 28 weeks and I really thought that they would keep me in but they were quite happy to have me go home with antibiotics and when things started to get uncomfortable at 37 weeks, my consultant agreed to induce me straught away.

You not being able to be there for your daughter may have a detrimental effect on your labour because you may not be able to be fully focused because your worried about other things, so on this basis, they may well agree that the best option all around is to induce you. after all, these are exceptional circumstances. Good luck x

Unexpected good news! :cheer:

The team who treats Molly at Great Ormond Street got in touch to arrange her next admission. Her usual consultant is now not available on the 12th so he has said that she will be fine to wait 5 weeks instead of 4 and have the operation on the 19th March instead. :) This makes it much more likely that I will have had the baby as it is 11 days after my due date and I don't think I will be allowed to go that far overdue because of my last labour, where my daughter was too big and got stuck at the shoulders :shock: .

Also, my mum will have had a week longer to recover from her operation so will be in a much better position to help me with the school run and caring for my older kids, while my OH goes with Molly to hospital. It's still going to be hard not being with her for her operation, but I do feel a lot less stressed now, which can only be a good thing! :)

Funny how things often themselves work out. It just shows how much time we spend worrying for no reason! I am still going to discuss the big baby issue with my consultant though, because I don't want a repeat of last time. I'll still post in 3rd tri what the outcome of that appointment is.

Many thanks again for yor support :hug:

Ah good, you deserve this good news! I am very pleased for you and glad that you can now have one less thing to worry about :D
Do keep us posted though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back