In law rant

EllieL

Reaction score
My parents in law live over an hour and a quarter's drive away so we only see them once or twice a month. My father in law phoned last night and was telling my husband about the weekend when my sister in law and her three children visited them for the day. He was telling a 'funny' story about how Daisy, her youngest who is almost a year old, got hold of the dog's rubber bone and was chewing it. The dog got hold of the other end and was pulling it so they were effectively playing tug of war with the toy bone in their mouths. Then when the dog ran off with it, Daisy was crawling after the dog to get it back so she could chew it again.

Is it me or is this DISGUSTING???? I would never let my daughter put a dog toy in her mouth, and I'm not one of those people who is excessively paranoid about hygiene, but I really do draw the line at that. And my mother in law is always telling me what I'm doing wrong! I'm glad we don't see them that much as I now seriously doubt their judgement when it comes to looking after children.

I agree... I'm all for children having pets around but that is a step too far... I would also be concerned about her effectively doing what the dog sees as a 'challenge' by tugging the toy with her mouth, face to face ... any dog can turn around in a moment and snap at her and she could be scarred for life.

If I were you, I'd be glad you live a while away as I'd now be reluctant to leave my child with people who are going to be so silly... grrr... :wall:

I agree, having said that, I do remember a time when my eldest swiped the dogs toy and tried to chew it...needless to say as soon as i saw it, i took the thing away tho...and kept a close eye on my daughters mouth for infection. I certainly didnt encourage it!

Lisa

Whilst I don't agree with the fact they were allowing her to "wrestle" with the dog over the toy for the reasons that the dog could snap - all I read really was a grandad retelling something that had happened with his grandchild and sounding really proud and in love with his grandkids. But then I found Cally eating cat biscuits out of the cat bowl the other day so perhaps I haven't the most neutral viewpoint :wink: Cally seems fine, no ill effects but she has a lovely glossy coat

I can see the proud grandad bit- but what I was imagining was the dog licking its bum or doing something similarly disgusting before slobbering all over the toy. REALLY DISGUSTING!
That and some of my microbiology text books back from when I was at uni tell you exactly what nasties live in saliva....especially dog saliva.
Also, its all too recent the story in the news about that poor baby being mauled to death by a dog... with that in the headlines you would perhaps expect a little more caution from grandparents regarding our furry friends.

I think your right to feel DISGUSTED. Why would you let you child imatate a dog?

Dogs can get quite protective over their toys too, so if the dog did choose to attack (not saying it would) but the dog would feel it was right to, if you get my drift?

I play stupid games with my dog though like that, but I'm older and can control myself if you get me :think:

I'm an adult and play with my dog and she sometimes nips my hand when going for the toy. She doesn't mean it, and it was my hand on the toy! That child had her face on that toy!!!
When i went to my dad's at christmas Angel was playing on the floor. She was given a ball by one of my Aunties kids. She was playing with it for ages. It wasn't til she brought it to me that i saw it had teeth marks in it! When i asked the kid if it was their old dogs ball he said yeah. I flipped!!! He just said "But she's dead now" I was angry, and even more upset that Angel had a toy taken off her that she enjoyed playing with! But i felt sick that he let her have it! He is a teenager!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back