I'm aware this is going to sound insane...

C0606

Reaction score
So yeah, I'm aware this is going to sound insane but I'm convinced my scan at 12 weeks shows an abnormally large nuchal translucency...
This is where the crazy part comes in. The hospital where my scan took place don't offer the NT scans, or at least didn't bother with me but on my scan itself I can make out the start of a line of fluid and it appears large?
So now with over a week to go until my DS blood tests, I'm convinced something isn't right and I doubt even if I had good results there (which I'm now doubting) I would still believe something is wrong. Am I mental?
I'll upload my scan so you can see if that helps. I think the line can be seen from the bum/rump upwards and then disappears.

Attachments

• 12 week bubba.jpg
    12 week bubba.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 76
Hey, I think that's just baby's spine. I'm sure they would have said something if they noticed it. If you are really worried, you could go for a private scan? Or see if someone can look at your scan pics?

Worrying times being pregnant. I'm already convinced my test result ratio is going to be low as I'm now 35. Even got out all the info from when I was pregnant with my two kids ready to compare.

You can see the line I'm talking about then? That's at least something ha! I could take it to my MW when I do have my bloods taken but I'll feel like I'm insane or something. I don't understand if it's just the case of taking basically a single measurement why they can't do that everywhere? Especially as it was introduced ages ago and makes all the tests far more reliable.
Pregnancy definitely is a worry. I thought I'd get into second tri and I'd calm down, nope! I've seen plenty of people your age and above who are absolutely fine so I'm sure you will be, I'll keep my FX's for you too :)

Hey, I think that's just baby's spine. I'm sure they would have said something if they noticed it. If you are really worried, you could go for a private scan? Or see if someone can look at your scan pics?

Worrying times being pregnant. I'm already convinced my test result ratio is going to be low as I'm now 35. Even got out all the info from when I was pregnant with my two kids ready to compare.

Just to say I worried about mine too as I am 36 and mine came back as 1/12000 so that goes to show its not always a higher risk if you are a bit older x

I think its just the spine hun x

You can see the line I'm talking about then? That's at least something ha! I could take it to my MW when I do have my bloods taken but I'll feel like I'm insane or something. I don't understand if it's just the case of taking basically a single measurement why they can't do that everywhere? Especially as it was introduced ages ago and makes all the tests far more reliable.
Pregnancy definitely is a worry. I thought I'd get into second tri and I'd calm down, nope! I've seen plenty of people your age and above who are absolutely fine so I'm sure you will be, I'll keep my FX's for you too :)

I'm not a doctor, but think the measurement they take is the thickness at the back of the neck. Nothing to do with the spine. And it also has to be looked at in conjunction with certain facial features / bone structure.

I'm sure all is fine. I won't say relax, as I can't even do that.haha.

Just to say I worried about mine too as I am 36 and mine came back as 1/12000 so that goes to show its not always a higher risk if you are a bit older x

I think its just the spine hun x

Thank you, that does relax me a bit. I had my daughter at 31, and it was 1/49000.

It's not so much the spine itself but the line which starts and disappears which I think is the fluid... I'll upload a pic to try and better explain what I mean. The arrow points to where on the scan I can see the line start.
skht.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I think you'll find it's the thickness they measure, not the length like the line you've highlighted. So they go from the back of the neck and measure outwards to the line. Hope that makes sense xxx

But is it not quite thick? I think I'm just going crazy, from one worry to the next. I think I'll ask my MW when I see her next week if there was a large (ish) fluid behind the neck then even though it's not a NT scan, would they offer up the information. Hopefully that would put my mind at ease!

It doesn't look any thicker than the fluid on my baby's 12 week scan Hun, I've just had a look to check for you. I remember thinking it looked thick when the sonographer was measuring but it was only 1.6mm I think which is fine. The babies are just so tiny at that stage that I think the fluid just looks large in comparison! Xxx

That has put my mind at ease. Thanks! :) x

I work in imaging at the hospital and that is not the area they measure for a nuchal sscan. As others have said it's the depth of the fluid at the back of babies spine but within baby. That fluid is outside of baby so is amniotic fluid and you dont need to worry about it. The only way you can use it to determine a risk factor is if they had done the measurement. Hope your blood results come back ok x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back