worried new mum

kicker

Reaction score
This is my first visit to the Forum - hello there!

Has anyone had a nuchal translucency scan? I'm 35 and expecting my first - and the scan said I had a very low risk of Down's - but a blood test has come back with a 1 in 87 chance - which is apparently high. I'm going out of my mind because the doctors all talk in statistics. Help! No one will tell me what anything means and I'm petrified. Everything seems to be going according to plan - I don't know why I'm so worried.

I have no idea but just wanted to say i hope your ok, didnt want to read and run. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks a million - think I'm over-sensitive at the moment. Hormones, eh? :)

Hiya! Normally what happens with the nuchal fold scan - is that they scan for the nuchal fold (a bit of water at the back of the neck) and for a nasal cavity (if it's not there it's a marker). They then assess your blood for two other markers of Down's Syndrome. I am not sure why you have been given the results as two seperate things.

However one thing to remember is that you have more of a chance of not having a baby who has Down's Syndrome.

If you are not sure about things I really recommend giving your midwife a call and seeing what they say, they should be able to reassure you or help you consider further testing xx

Hello :wave:
Sorry, i don't know why you have two separate results, i was given one number for the Downs test which was a combination of the nuchal scan and blood test. I'm sure your midwife could explain it to you though so maybe give her a call tomorrow.

First of all hello :wave: and congratulations :hug:

Like the others have said the results of both tests are usually combined. I'd give your midwife a call tomorrow and have a chat with her about it.

I was given a 1 in 5 downs risk with my little boy and he turned out just fine so try not to worry :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back