I'm 41 and trying.

Dandelion

Reaction score
I know I may have left it too late.
Got some strange symptoms (underlying waves of nausea and one really sore breast) but I'm not sure if I am pregnant or not. Too early to do a test.

Starting to feel anxious now that I'm too old to conceive. My partner is only 30, so he's ok!

Is anyone else in their 40s and trying for a baby?

Sx

Hi my sweet,

Im in the same position in that im trying for a baby but im not in my 40's.

However, I had a client a work the other day and she is pregnant and 41 so you have definately not left it too late!!

How long have you been trying to conceive? How long is it until you can test? I really hope your gonna get your BFP soon!!!!

Baby dust to you!!!

Love and hugs xxx

Hello Jaidy baby,

Thanks for the reassurance. I know someone who had their first at 43 as well, so it gives me hope when I hear of others too.

We've been trying since December. A bit half-heartedly at first (half-hearted about working out the ovulation dates, not the sex!), because I thought it would be easier than it is (I've been pregnant twice before in two different relationships and 10 years apart, but miscarried both and it was so upsetting I decided not to try again - then changed my mind!).

If I am pregnant it's less than a week! So it'll be a couple of weeks before I can test. Ooooh the waiting! I can't stand it.

How long have you been trying?

Sx

Welcome to the forum!!!

And welcome to the club of having younger hubbies!! I'm 35 and my hubbie is 25, it's great isn't it!!!!

You haven't left it too late BTW. I know someone who is 41 in July and she is 22 weeks pregnant! Oh, and her OH is also 30!!!!

When is your AF due?

I know the two week wait between ovulation and (hoping that you dont get) your period is an absolute KILLER!!!!

Im always thinking of things to do in that time to stop me testing early, Im a bad one for getting the preggy tests out waaayyyyyyy too soon lol.

I have been trying since Jan when I can off the pill, first month I used OPK's with no luck, and the other months I dont think I babydanced quite enough!!!! Its so frustrating, like you I thought getting pregnant would be a doddle.

It could be our month this month dandelion!!! You never know xx :pray:

tankett said:
Welcome to the forum!!!

And welcome to the club of having younger hubbies!! I'm 35 and my hubbie is 25, it's great isn't it!!!!

You haven't left it too late BTW. I know someone who is 41 in July and she is 22 weeks pregnant! Oh, and her OH is also 30!!!!

When is your AF due?

Hi Tankett,
Thanks. Yes, it is great in an age gap relationship and all those stories about incompatability are completely untrue! My boy loves older women and I've never felt insecure with him. He's very cute too - but he always fancies women like Fern Britton and Amanda Redman and when young totty comes on the TV and his mates go 'phwoar' he just says 'Too young.'

Not that I would be insecure if he didn't - i'm dead confident me. :D

Thanks for letting me know about another mum-to-be in her 40s. The more I hear this, the more I feel relaxed. I did read that Gina Davies has recently had a baby at 48! Which also gives me hope.

You'll have to excuse me but I don't yet understand the abbreviations used on here. What's AF?

Are you trying or are you pregnant?

Sx

JaidyBaby said:
I know the two week wait between ovulation and (hoping that you dont get) your period is an absolute KILLER!!!!

Im always thinking of things to do in that time to stop me testing early, Im a bad one for getting the preggy tests out waaayyyyyyy too soon lol.

I have been trying since Jan when I can off the pill, first month I used OPK's with no luck, and the other months I dont think I babydanced quite enough!!!! Its so frustrating, like you I thought getting pregnant would be a doddle.

It could be our month this month dandelion!!! You never know xx :pray:

Hi again.
Me too! My neighbour was even more impatient than me when I told her I was feeling a bit rough she rushed round with a test and waited outside the bathroom door. It was negative of course - because it was only three days after possible conception! But even though I new it wouldn't show up if I was pregnant, my heart still sank. Daft innit.

What's an OPK?

I hope it is our month. I'll just run about squealing if I am pregnant. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too.

x

Il give you a guide to the lingo abbreviations....took me ages to work them out!!!

TTC = Trying to Conceive
AF = Aunt Flo, Period
BD = Baby Dance, politer way and saying having sex lol!
PG = Pregnant
PT = Pregnancy Test
OPK = Ovulation Predictor Kits

Hope that helps a bit xx

Thanks. NOW I understand.

I've printed that out.

I haven't used an OPK because I can usually feel it. I also use a site called www.mymonthlycycles.com, which if you track all of your AFs really (spookily) accurately predicts your ovulation dates even if you're irregular.

Going to keep using that and the ovulation pain signal for a couple more months and then if not successful get an OPK, just to be sure.

x

Hi Dandelion,

Welcome to the forum and 41 is defo not too old.. good for you snagging a younger guy.. I am 37 in a couple of weeks.. my partner is a couple of years younger but he is definitely the sensible mature one!!

Good luck with ttc.. I know they say it can take much longer as we get older but I think if we are healthy and happy it will happen whatever the age [within reason of course!]

I have had 3 miscarriages over 13 years - the most recent last August and was beginning to wonder if I would ever be a mum but here I am half way to having a little girl.. so never give up!!

By the way.. re charting.. I just did my temps every day.. great for knowing when ovulating without having to pee on sticks all the time :wink:

xx

Hi Anna Marie,
I don't know anything about temps etc yet, but I'm sure I will as I get more experience at this. I'll be sure you be asking your advice!

Sorry for your three losses. It's very upsetting and makes you feel insecure about ever becoming a mum - but you're living proof that you can do it.

Congratulations on your forthcoming little girl. I'd love a girl too, but will be happy with either.

Sx

I didn't know anything about ttc either .... last year my OH and I decided to "think about trying" and before I had a chance to buy a book and read about it all I was pregnant [a romantic weekend in Italy did the trick!!] but unfortunately that little bean didn't make it.. after that sad time I bought Toni Weschler's book "taking charge of your fertility" and it was my bible!! I cannot tell you how much I learned.. I really was naiive as both previous pregnancies had been a long time ago and unplanned and unfortunately not meant to be so this time round I was determined to be ready!! I felt quite embarrassed that at 36 I knew so little about my cycle and ovulation etc.. such an eye opener!

After my m/c in Aug they found a polyp in my uterus which meant I was not allowed to try again until they removed it - this really upset me as it meant more time wasting & waiting but they were great and saw me very swiftly.. so we were not consciously trying.. no charting etc and hey presto 2 weeks after my hysteroscopy I got my BFP!!!!

So many of us on here have stories to tell but we all have the same common purpose.. to become mums whatever those stories are.. just sad that for some women the road can be rather windy and long! :(

Anna Marie said:
I didn't know anything about ttc either .... last year my OH and I decided to "think about trying" and before I had a chance to buy a book and read about it all I was pregnant [a romantic weekend in Italy did the trick!!] but unfortunately that little bean didn't make it.. after that sad time I bought Toni Weschler's book "taking charge of your fertility" and it was my bible!! I cannot tell you how much I learned.. I really was naiive as both previous pregnancies had been a long time ago and unplanned and unfortunately not meant to be so this time round I was determined to be ready!! I felt quite embarrassed that at 36 I knew so little about my cycle and ovulation etc.. such an eye opener!

After my m/c in Aug they found a polyp in my uterus which meant I was not allowed to try again until they removed it - this really upset me as it meant more time wasting & waiting but they were great and saw me very swiftly.. so we were not consciously trying.. no charting etc and hey presto 2 weeks after my hysteroscopy I got my BFP!!!!

So many of us on here have stories to tell but we all have the same common purpose.. to become mums whatever those stories are.. just sad that for some women the road can be rather windy and long! :(

Thanks for the tip about the book. I'll have a look on Amazon for it. I've just been for a walk and had some waves of nausea, but I know your mind can trick you. My breasts are killing me though. It started last night. Shooting pains unlike anything I've felt before. I don't want to go into too much detail but I've also become severely constipated. Is this a sign of pregnancy too?

I really think I could be pregnant. I'll try to be patient though.

It must have been a really bad time for you when you wanted to get pregnant and had to wait for an op. Those things are scary enough when they don't affect fertility! I'm so glad it all worked out so happily for you.

sx

Dandelion said:
Starting to feel anxious now that I'm too old to conceive.
Sx

You arent too old at all. My mum was 41 when she had my youngest sister. I think that you have a great chance of conceiving.
Good luck and have fun trying :lol:

Dandelion said:
Thanks. Yes, it is great in an age gap relationship and all those stories about incompatability are completely untrue! My boy loves older women and I've never felt insecure with him. He's very cute too - but he always fancies women like Fern Britton and Amanda Redman and when young totty comes on the TV and his mates go 'phwoar' he just says 'Too young.'

Not that I would be insecure if he didn't - i'm dead confident me. :D

Thanks for letting me know about another mum-to-be in her 40s. The more I hear this, the more I feel relaxed. I did read that Gina Davies has recently had a baby at 48! Which also gives me hope.

You'll have to excuse me but I don't yet understand the abbreviations used on here. What's AF?

Are you trying or are you pregnant?

Sx

My hubbie is exactly the same! He says he has no time for little girls who cry when they break a nail and can't leave the house for a week. He says he is so pleased that he has found a woman who is confident enough in herself to walk around first thing in the morning looking like hell and not care!! (I believe this was meant as a compliment!). His last girlfriend was a beautician, and wouldn't let him see her without her face on!! I had gastric flu on Sunday just gone,and at one point I was sitting on the loo with severe diohreah (SP?), throwing up into a bowl, wearing just my pj top because I'd just messed my bottoms! :oops: (sorry, way too much info!!) And all the time, he was kneeling next to me, holding my hair out the way and rubbing my back saying "are you okay baby?". Now, that's love!!! :lol: :lol:

Jane Seymour had twins when she was 47! I have another friend who's just found out she's pg. She's 39 and a grandmother! She's marrying her fiance in June who's 28. Think we're starting a trend!!

I'm actually 18 weeks pregnant. I got married last June, and I had the coil removed when we came back from honeymoon in July. So it only took us about 5 months, we were lucky. I'm also lucky enough to already have a daughter. There's a bit age gap though - she'll be 13 in 2 weeks!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world, and we are always here to listen, offer advise, a shoulder, or tell you stories about throwing up!!!!! :lol: :oops:

tankett said:
My hubbie is exactly the same! He says he has no time for little girls who cry when they break a nail and can't leave the house for a week. He says he is so pleased that he has found a woman who is confident enough in herself to walk around first thing in the morning looking like hell and not care!! (I believe this was meant as a compliment!). His last girlfriend was a beautician, and wouldn't let him see her without her face on!! I had gastric flu on Sunday just gone,and at one point I was sitting on the loo with severe diohreah (SP?), throwing up into a bowl, wearing just my pj top because I'd just messed my bottoms! :oops: (sorry, way too much info!!) And all the time, he was kneeling next to me, holding my hair out the way and rubbing my back saying "are you okay baby?". Now, that's love!!! :lol: :lol:

Jane Seymour had twins when she was 47! I have another friend who's just found out she's pg. She's 39 and a grandmother! She's marrying her fiance in June who's 28. Think we're starting a trend!!

I'm actually 18 weeks pregnant. I got married last June, and I had the coil removed when we came back from honeymoon in July. So it only took us about 5 months, we were lucky. I'm also lucky enough to already have a daughter. There's a bit age gap though - she'll be 13 in 2 weeks!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world, and we are always here to listen, offer advise, a shoulder, or tell you stories about throwing up!!!!! :lol: :oops:

Ooh you poor thing. That sounds awful. What a lovely boy you've got there though. It's almost worth going through sickness and diarrhea (I don't know how to spell it either)!

Sounds like he's much happier than with the beauty therapist! I'm a weight loss coach/counsellor and I run an online course and one of the things I teach is that self-esteem is absolutely nothing to do with what you look like. The most attractive people are those who know this and are relaxed about it. What's the point in looking perfect all the time if you're so self-conscious about the way you look that you seem ugly on the inside?

All those older mothers that you list really helps me to relax a bit more. Thanks.

I bet you're really excited about your new baby. I'm excited for you and I don't even know you!

Take care of yourself/selves and thanks so much for the reassurance.

Sx

your not too old, i had my first child a daughter in january 1989 when i was 25, then 2 years ago i got married again and we started trying for a baby, my husband already has 2 grown up sons

i had 2 misscarrages in november 2004 and again in april 2005, then last october i found out i was expecting again, i started to lose blood and i thought not again, but when i went for an emergency scan everything was fine, i am now 29 weeks and 1 day our baby girl is due 29/06/2006, but she will be born on 22/06/2006 byt section, i have just turned 43 and my husband is 42 and noway have you left it too late, more and more women are having babies later on in life, so good luck and keep trying

That's wonderful news. Sorry about your miscarriages. It must have been awful for you. I've been through two similar experiences.

I'm so glad to hear of other older women TTC and succeeding. Not that I feel old! But it's very reassuring.

Unfortunately, I've started my AF this morning :cry: so I'm not pregnant this time. Will keep trying, though.

Sx

Hi Dandelion!!

Sorry to hear you got AF this morning. :(

Bit of a crush I know, but you always have next month!!! Have a look in TTC under 'fertility tips' for next month. Im giving some of them a shot!

Take care my sweet x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back