if i exercise.....

tinkerbell*

Reaction score
if i exercise during my pregnancy... will i nto put on as much weight??? i am really self consious anyway and am so worried i am gonna turn in to a whale whilst pregnant and not be able to shift it afterwards. we have a treadmil in our bedroom (whihc i SHOULD use but am always too tired).... if i did exercise though, would this help in weight gain?????

sorry really shallow question i know, but i know how "lazy" and tired a can be, i wanna sort it out in the new year!

Thank you for reading x x x

I belong to my gym and my cardio workout on monday casused some (a very small amont) bleeding, when i saw the docter on friday she said i need to cut down on cardio but that swimming and pilates are ok. But she did recommend getting my gym instructer to give me a new programme becuase apparently joints are softer during pregnancy and give you mroe chance of injuring yourself.

but i am like you i don't want to gain heaps either (so far 1/2 kg at 7 weeks and eating like a pig).

So i don't know if you will gain more or less weight but you really shouldn't do any sort of exercise until you talk to a docter/ midwife.

what about walking? A great way to get fresh air and a bit of exercise and a very good way to spend one on one time with your OH?

Sandi

I hear that mild/moderate exercise is good during pregnancy. I go to the gym 2 or 3 times per week and do about 40 minutes of aerobics, but I keep my heart rate under 140/150 and don't do anything strenuous, just some bicycling and walking and light weightlifting.

I really don't want to gain much weight either but mostly I want to stay in shape.

Don't forget that its not only exercise that affects how much weight you may or may not put on during pregnancy. There are many other factors and not all of them are within your control.

I'd talk to your MW for advice about a balanced diet and exercise during pregnancy. You do need to keep an eye on your heartrate and how much you heat up during pregnancy. Your heart is already working so much harder in first tri pumping about a 1/3 more than it normally does, so pushing yourself overly it isn't good.

Tbh if you are anything like me all your good intentions of regular exercise may go out the window simply because you find yourself to exhusted to do anything other than flake out and sleep in the first few months. I went from lots of activity to sleeping at every opportunity and had zero energy to do any form of exercise, even walking the dogs for longer than 20 minutes at a time. This for a woman used to 1-2 hours a couple of times a day out with them was annoying, but I really just could not cope with it. I only use an exercise bike and do regular walking now but limit myself to how much I push myself. No steep hills or quick speeds.

I also found myself bloating hugely in first tri and even now only have to look at a lettuce leaf to find I am expanding. I've pretty much accepted that I need to eat well, exercise as much as I am able but within reason and worry about any excess weight gain afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back