If I could ever be of any help...

Hi Kieren,

Just wanted to welcome you & to say that you are doing a great job in answering these ladies questions.

I don't have a question for you, but if I ever need advice I'll definately know where to come :)

Keep up the good work!
Carly & boy bump 29+1 x x

Thanks Carly

Its nice to know that you guys are happy with my responses. I was worried intitially that I might not be received well on this site being a professional and not a pregnant mother, so am glad I can be of help. That is why I went into midwifery in the first place after having been a nurse for 8 years, being present at such a momentous occassion still makes me beam!! :D

Hi ,

JUst a quick question, what could b the course of my discharge to go a brown colour ? but it does only seem to b a few mornings a wk, not everyday . Am bit worried because wiv my other my children ( pregnancy ) i never had anything like this .

Thanks Kelly

Kieren,
You have no idea how fantastic it is to have you on the forum. We try to help each other out with answers but we're only going by past experiences or by what we read on the internet so thanks very much for your help.
It's an amazing forum isn't it? The women on it are so supportive and helpful. I've been blown away by how nice everyone is.
I only started trying to conceive in April. Last month I had numerous symptoms - swollen tender breasts, montgomery's tubercles, discharges,exhaustion, aversion to coffee, back pain - so I was surprised and disappointed when my period came. Okay so I could have imagined the symptoms or linked changes due to hormones to what I wanted to believe but my very pragmatic husband said he could see the physical changes in me and was sure too. My period arrived a iittle early and was very heavy and almost painful for 3 days and then all I had was spotting - very unlikely me as I get heavy periods for a week normally.
So a) what do you think happened? Might something have started and my body rejected it and b) is it okay that we started again as soon as the spotting finished? That was a week ago and my body seems normal! Although I still have the lumps on my breasts. A friend said that she heard it's good to start immediately again as I'm more likely to conceive.
Sorry for the long explanation.
S

thank you kieren
for that information it has been a great help so far.

Hi Kieren

I am pregnant with my third child, a little boy. My other two cherubs were delivered by Caeserean. My son at 37 weeks weighing 7 pounds 2. My daughter at 36 weeks weighing 7 pounds 3. They both had no problems and successfully breastfed.

Both my babes were delivered by a different obstetrician to the one I have now. My old Ob said he would not let me go past 37 weeks given my history and that it is to risky the scar might tear. (Especially given the good size of my other two). However because we have moved my new Ob is saying he wants me to make it to 38.

In the meantime I was admitted to hospital at 31 weeks, for 1.5 weeks with an irritable uterus. Basically my uterus is trying to get rid of the baby. Sort of like gastro. Thankfully though the baby was not engaged and my cervix was not soft. The baby has been given steroids as an insurance policy and I am on anti contraction drugs until week 34. I am now 33 weeks. I did have a reaction to the anti contraction drugs (a 0.1% chance) and my breasts were engorged. I wasn't allowed to express for fear of stimulating the uterus. I just had to put up with it by using hot packs and cabbage leaves until we found a balance for my body by reducing the amount of tablets I take per day.

So in the meantime I am on light duties around the house and cannot go in the car. Otherwise the extremely strong "braxton hicks" kick in. Even a dopler machine sets them off! (The poor midwives were scared to touch me in hospital!) Hence I am getting extremely tired and starting to lose confidence in my ability to read any signs from my body. My husband has been fantastic, but it has been a little hard on my cherubs.

My problem now is that despite informing my current Ob of my concerns of trying to make it to 38 weeks, based on what my previous Ob has advised, he is quite adament that he will not perform a ceaserean before then.

I am extremely hopeful that this little bub will have come into the world before then but I would like to have a backup plan. The only way for that to happen is to get my waters to break or get the baby to engage and soften my cervix. Taking the doctors decision away to make me go to 38 weeks.

I do not like my current Ob. I feel he treats me like a stupid paranoid pregnant woman. I certainly wont be recommending him to anyone!

I would really appreciate some words of wisdom here. thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry it is so lengthy to read, I just wanted you to have all the facts.

Hiya Kelly

Just a quick question, what could b the course of my discharge to go a brown colour ?

Brown discharge is not normal and needs to be investigated - could be an infection. It would be a good idea to let you midwife know, so that she can take a vaginal swab and palpate your abdomen, thus checking your baby's heartbeat. Do you have any vaginal/abdo pain? If so you should maybe contact your midwife/GP sooner rather than later.

Let me know how you get on..

Hiya S

My period arrived a iittle early and was very heavy and almost painful for 3 days and then all I had was spotting - very unlikely me as I get heavy periods for a week normally.
So a) what do you think happened? Might something have started and my body rejected it

If your periods are normally quite reliable then it does sound like you had a miscarriage in the early stages, though it is not possible to be sure. It is extremely common for women to have a miscarriage (1 in 4) and many even get missed because it is so like a period.

b) is it okay that we started again as soon as the spotting finished?

It is fine to try again after this episode finished. Your friend is right - you are quite fertile soon afterwards because you will have a high amount of hormones in your system. If you bleed after intercourse during pregnancy then it is probably best to abstain (you can of course still maintain a health sex life without intercourse during pregnancy if it poses a problem) otherwise I wouldn't worry.

take care, and good luck

Hiya Embo

I would really appreciate some words of wisdom here. thanks in advance.

Ok...this is very much an obstetric question. Different obstetricians read different research which suggests that delivery should be carried aut at various stages of pregnancy. In my hospital the Obstetricians would agree with your current Obstetrician. The view is that you baby has a much better chance of full development and breathing at 38 weeks than 37 weeks (although you have had babies at this gestation before.

It is really unfortunate for you to have experienced threatened pre-term delivery during your pregancy and can cause a great deal of stress and heartache. Now..aside the labour contractions, having Braxton Hicks is very common - and they can also be quite painful. The baby is not at risk in the uterus at present, however having had previous caesarian sections you are going to be a little nervous about heading on towards 38 weeks.

Unfortunately waters will only break once there is a chemical reaction triggered by your body (most people think that the pressure of contractions alone cause your waters to break, but it is a combination of the two). Do you really want to get your self into labour and be rushed into hospital for a C/S? I would try and relax for the remaining few days until you deliver. I know it is tiring and another week seems a long time, but there is no immediate danger for you and baby.

This probably isn't what you want me to say, but your consultant has a responsibility to you and your baby and will not let any harm come to you. The up-to-date thinking is to indeed wait until 38 weeks, so he is following that line of action.

Hang in there, it won't be long!! If you do go into labour/break your waters/have any vaginal bleeding/or have uncontrollable severe abdominal pain around your scar site, then call your delivery suites immediately.

Take Care, and am thinking of you.

Kieren,
You should be charging an hourly rate! Thanks for generously replying. I'll keep you posted. Seem to have thrush now but I'm not letting it deter me from reproducing!
Take care and thanks again,
S

First off thank you for being on this forum. I am 29 weeks pregnant and went to the ER on sat. for lower abdominal pain, urinary urgency, and lack of fetal movement. I thought I have a urinary tract infection but was told that my urine was the cleanest urine had seen. He did an exam and said everything was fine and that the pain and everything was being caused by the baby being down really low. He told me the only thing I can do is sit it out and hope the baby moves up. I have noticed a significate decrease in activity from my baby. I feel the occational poke like it was early on in my pregnancy but he is not as active as he was even three days ago. Is this due to the fact he is running out of room or is this something I should be concerned about? Thank you for your time.

Hi Kieren - it really is fantastic to have you on board, and very generous of you to give up your time to respond to us. The whole thread is a very interesting & informative read.

I have 2 questions - they are fairly general and hopefully helpful to other women!

1. I recently heard that a person's shoe size is directly proportionate to the size of their pelvis and that this is what midwives use to measure the pelvis. I thought it sounded ridiculous but have seen it on a couple of websites also. I am a size 3 shoe size, and so am naturally concerned that my pelvis will be deemd too small for a natural birth and that I will be automatically booked for a C/S. I am quite small myself (5'3") so am hoping baby will be small enough to fit - is this wishful thinking?

2. I have heard conflicting info on whether hospitals still do episiotomies - someone told me they no longer perform them unless in an emergency (e.g. to help baby out with forceps). Is this true? I've read reports that women who have had episiotomies take longer to heal than those who have suffered 'natural' tears, and also that they can do more harm than good - is this true in your experience?

Ever grateful for any response!

Kind regards

LB

thank you kieren
i've just come back from seeing my midwife and she has agreed that it is spd and is refering me to the physio i'am so glad that there is something going to be done now for this discomfort as it was starting to get me down.

but thanks again kieren

lesley+bump(kacey)

i was wondering if you can give me any advise, i am 36 weeks pregnant yesterday when i got out of the bath i felt some liquid run down my leg it was yellow in colour i dont think it was urine as it felt different, but i didnt leak any more that day untill today when i got out of the bath the same thing happened could it be my waters leaking or something else i dont want to bother my midwife in case its not, any advise????

Hiya Tanisha

I feel the occational poke like it was early on in my pregnancy but he is not as active as he was even three days ago. Is this due to the fact he is running out of room or is this something I should be concerned about?

If ever you are concerned about fetal movements then it is important to contact your midwife/GP. Really you should expect approx 10 movements in 24 hours, you may find your baby is more active at certain times of the day and will get clusters of movements. You are the best person to tell whether or not movements feel right or not - don't be afraid to follow your intuition - better to be safe than sorry. The baby may be running out of room and may be a little more sluggish, but shouldn't be too sluggish, if you know what i mean. It might even mean you have decreased liquor (waters) - a condition known as oligohydramnios. Best get checked out.

Let me know how you get on

Kieren,
I'm still in shock that you've joined us and are helping us out in this way. Your advice is really fantastic and reassuring.
I thought I'd ask a few questions that I think many women are curious about - especially those of us trying to conceive. I promise to stop stalking you after this:

• Is it a good rule of thumb to assume that we ovulate between day 12 and 16? I don't want to start peeing on sticks and have little cm to alert me to what's happening. My period has gone from every 27 days to 26 days.
Can it do any harm having daily sex? A friend who has had two miscarraiges was told by a gynachologist that daily sex doesn't affect sperm count. If the sperm is weak it's weak, the frequency of sex is irrelevant.
  • Can regular excercise eg running or going to the gym affect your chances of conceiving? I believe that aerobic exercise isn't encouraged in early pregnancy.
    Thanks Kieran. I promise to stop hogging you now.
    It's all a new world to me.
    thanks and regards, S

Hiya littleunicorn

could it be my waters leaking or something else i dont want to bother my midwife in case its not, any advise

It doesn't sound like you have broken your waters. It sounds like a little normal discharge to me. When you take a bath the warm water sometimes aids your vaginal secretions - it may just be this - yellow/white is normal. If you get any vaginal or abdo pain you should inform your midwife who may like to take a swab. It could also be urine - but you say it doesn't feel the same - do you mean in texture? or sensation? If it is sensation then it is quite likely to be urine, as you have a bath your urether will expand a little, explaning a little mild incontinence - also very common in pregnancy.

Never feel afraid to ask your midwife what she feels - this is what she is there for. If you are still concerned then call her. Otherwise I think your waters should still be intact. Just in case - if you feel unwell tell your midwife your history.

Hope this is ok - I know I'm rambling here, but without seeing it, it's difficult to say. Maybe wear a pad during the day and monitor your losses.

Take Care

Hiya Littlebump

I am a size 3 shoe size, and so am naturally concerned that my pelvis will be deemd too small for a natural birth and that I will be automatically booked for a C/S. I am quite small myself (5'3") so am hoping baby will be small enough to fit - is this wishful thinking?

It is true that generally we do look at shoe size - there does seem to be some correlation, however there are many other factors that we take into consideration these days, such as the size of the dad, and size on scan, and shape of your pelvis. If the scan were to show your baby was too big for you (which is rare) then the obstetrician will often suggest inducing you at around 38 weeks. However, most of the time women are given the opportunity to get into labour and try delivery first, because it is all to do with genetic make-up and a whole host of other factors as to whether you will have problems or not. I have delivered several women who are around your height who haven't had any trouble.

I have heard conflicting info on whether hospitals still do episiotomies - someone told me they no longer perform them unless in an emergency (e.g. to help baby out with forceps). Is this true? I've read reports that women who have had episiotomies take longer to heal than those who have suffered 'natural' tears, and also that they can do more harm than good - is this true in your experience?

It should not be commonplace for espisiotomies these days - long gone are the 70's 80's ideal that episiotomies will prevent nasty tears. They are only used in emergency, and I have done very few myself. Natural tears do heal well, but will be sutured just the same. Episiotomies indeed have there place, but don't expect you will have one if all goes to plan.

Hope this answers your question

Hiya Titch

I'm glad my hunch you had SPD was right and that you were able to use the information I gave you. Won't be long now. Chin up. :D

Take Care

I;m really sorry to put on another question so soon after the last one - God you must think I'm crazy - but since I was last online I've noticed that the little lumps that I noticed on my breasts before my last period have come back again and the veins on my breast are more visible than I've ever seen them. The lumps stayed for a few days afer my period and then disappeared.
Can this be due to hormones or a hot bath? It's usually more noticeable when I've come out of the bath.
I've never been on the pill before. I know that many women who are on the pill get Montgomery's tubercles.
Sorry I'll honestly leave you alone now.
S

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back