If I could ever be of any help...

Hiya S

Don't worry - you can ask me as many questions as you want - some I will be able to answer, others I might find too difficult!!

Is it a good rule of thumb to assume that we ovulate between day 12 and 16? I don't want to start peeing on sticks and have little cm to alert me to what's happening. My period has gone from every 27 days to 26 days.

Yes. Ovulation does occur at this stage (though some women ovulate at strange times - it is rare). I gave some adivice i=on here to another woman a week ago, the relavant bit I have put here:

Keep a record of your periods. If you are regular then count back 12-16 days before you period - this is when you are likely to ovulate. Your vaginal secretions will change during the course of the month too. You can feel the difference between the beginning and end of you cycle when your vaginal secretions are white/yellowy, quite thick & mucousy. When you come to ovulation then you produce more secretions which are thinner and more stringy. This is a good time to try conceiving.

Some people take their temperature religiously everyday before conceiving - this is because just before ovulation your body temperature dips slightly, then rises again after you have ovulated. If you want to do this you can purchase a thermometer from most chemists and take your temperate the same time everyday (the morning is normally best after you've slept, and before you eat or drink). Along with your periods and your secretions you can put this in a diary giving you a good picture of when you are likely to be most fertile.

Can it do any harm having daily sex?

No harm at all. Sperm takes 3 months to develop - so the ejactulations just lead to further productions of sperm, so technically the sperm will be newer each time.

Make sure yourself and your partner take zinc - very good for sperm count and decrease your intake of caffiene and alcohol (cut it out altogether if possible)

Can regular excercise eg running or going to the gym affect your chances of conceiving? I believe that aerobic exercise isn't encouraged in early pregnancy.

No..unless you are an exercise fanatic and overdo it. Your ligaments soften during the first trimester due to progesterone, therefore you need to be careful about what activity you do - no heavy lifting or overstretching. Pilates is good for pregnancy - some gyms run classes especially for pregnant women. Aerobic activity is good for you in moderation, just go easy.

Hope this is OK...and don't stop asking questions!!! :D

Maybe you are noticing this now more than ever before , because you are paying attention. This is why some women's breasts get tender at their time of the month. Hormones play a huge part in preparing your breasts for pregnancy - every month your body gets ready for another pregnancy - this is what periods are.

Baths will expand your veins and thes ducts in your breasts - hence you notice them more after a bath - the heat does this.

Take Care....and stop apologising.

Look forward to hearing from you again.

Thank you so much for your advice, since I asked the question he seems to be trying to push his way out through my belly button.... :lol:

Hi,

I have only known I am pregnant for 3 days and I couldnt get an appointment with my GP for over a week. Its all a big suprise and I really have no idea what to do next. I probably have the same questions that seem daft that most women do when they first find out. I think I am about 3or 4 weeks along.

I seem to have very light cramps and I have had a very small amount of spotting. Should I be concerned? As I didnt know I was pregnant we (my husband and I ) had spent the last few weeks tearing out a patio. He did most of the hard work, I just shoveled and lifted. Can this cause a problem? Also, we have been on Weight Watchers. I have lost around 20 lbs all together. Its another concern. The good thing is we have been eating really healthy the last few months.

What about food. Like I said we are already eating pretty healthy. Are there things to stay away from? What about coffee? Is decalf okay? Is tea okay?

There are so many questions and I really wish that I could get into the doctors sooner. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks very much Kieran. It's very much appreciated.
Thanks, S

Hi'ya keiran,

Can I just say how nice it is to have someone who can explain things to us girls from a medical point of view - it is certainly settling a lot of ladies minds with the answers you provide. Thank you loads.

I was wondering if you could shed any light on my query. I came off the bcp in the middle of feb, had a usual "pill" bleed and then an af 30 days later but not seen anything now for 70 days. I've had a blood test when i was originally 6 days late which came back negitive. Have I anything to worry about yet and could things settle down soon? I assume its all because the bcp as screwed up my system and I'm hoping things will get back to normal soon. I have had CM once this week and once last week??? I've been taking Agnus Castus to regulate my periods - is this actually recommended though? Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanking you.

I seem to have very light cramps and I have had a very small amount of spotting. Should I be concerned?

This could be the result of implantation - happens at about 4 weeks. This is where the zygote (the result of the fusion of sperm and egg) migrates into the myometrium causing a little cramping and spotting (like a mini period). However, if you are concerned about your abdo pains and bleeding do discuss this with your GP.

I have lost around 20 lbs all together.

Depends on how heavy you were before you lost this weight and how quickly you lost it. Obviously it is important to eat healthily during pregnancy - however, crash dieting is a big no. Make sure you take in all the nutrients your body needs to make a baby.

Are there things to stay away from? What about coffee? Is decalf okay? Is tea okay?

There is an interesting link that gives advice about caffiene during pregnany:

www.babycenter.com/refcap/3955.html

Almost all pregnant women need to increase their intake of protein, certain vitamins and minerals such as folic acid and iron, and calories (for energy). If your diet is poor to begin with you'll want to make the transition to eating nutritious, well-balanced meals. Limit junk food, since it offers little more than empty calories.

You'll want to steer clear of raw seafood (such as oysters or uncooked sushi), unpasteurized milk or soft cheeses (such as brie or camembert), pate, and raw or undercooked meat and poultry. (And practice good kitchen hygiene.) All are possible sources of bacteria that can harm an unborn child.

Some fish contain methyl mercury, a metal believed to be harmful in high doses to the growing brains of fetuses and young children. The FDA recommends limiting your consumption of tuna and other cooked fish to about 12 ounces a week, the equivalent of about two servings.

Don't eat any liver (this includes cod liver oil) as it contains a large amount of vitamin A. try to get a supplement that contains omega 3 and omega 6 EFAs. Thes essential fatty acids can be vital - some research into postnatal depression is linked to decreased EFA intake.

Try to eat small meals, say, every 4 hours as you are more likely to get indigestion and heartburn.

Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause physical defects, learning disabilities, and emotional problems in children, so many experts recommend that you give up alcohol for your entire pregnancy.

Hope you continue to enjoy you pregancy :D

Hiya Shez

Yes.. some women find it can sometimes take months before thier periods are regular again after coming off the pill. Give it a little more time, normally we suggest 3 months but it can take longer...any worries do see your GP. It is also suggested that you don't try to conceive until all the synthetic hormone is out of your system, which takes apporx 3 months.

I've been taking Agnus Castus to regulate my periods - is this actually recommended though?

I have to be honest - I have no idea. It is probably best to consult your GP about this or to do a little research on the net. Sorry I couldn't answer your query!

Best of Luck

Hi Keiron

It's lovely to see a male midwife on here!!

i had a lovely midwife; Jeremy with my 2nd and 3rd, i must admit when i first found out my midwife was going to be a man i was shocked and a little anxious. My worries were unfounded he was a fantastic help very understanding and a terrific listener!

i am hoping i will sail through the rest of this pregnancy with no complications...... it is reassuring to know that if i need some sound advice there is someone here who can help :D

Regards

Kirstie

Thanks for your help. I cant believe I still have over a week before I can see anyone regarding being pregnant. I am still in shock, I never expected to have a baby. I dont really know what to do as I havent ever paid much attention to what has been said in the past.

I am 37. Are there any problems that are age related, or is 37 no longer considered old for a baby.

I am trying not to get to anxious over all this and not being able to see a doctor.

I do so appreciate your help.

Sadie

Hiya Sadie

I am 37. Are there any problems that are age related, or is 37 no longer considered old for a baby.

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy...it is something you must enjoy.

I can't deny that there are certainly more risks over the age of 35, however the general premise is that the older you are, the increasing risks.

These include

The higher chances of fetal abnormality (down's syndrome risks increase beyond the age of 35).

Gestational Diabetes

High blood pressure during pregnancy

Premature delivery

Growth restriction in utero

the possiblity of having multiple pregnancy (twins, triplets)

But...this is not to frighten you. So long as you mantain a healthy lifestyle...don't smoke, drink, eat healthily, have a little exercise (don't overdo it), and make sure you attend all your antenatal clinic appointments, then these factors will reduce you risks dramatically.

The best thing to do is not to worry or stress about your age. More and more women are having their babies beyond the age of 35 now, as careers and marriages take them into these age groups.

Good Luck and let me know how your first meeting with your midwife goes. :D

Kieren

Am after bit of advice please. I have recently lost my grandad, who i was very close to, am finding it really hard to cope wiv his death. Am not sure if i starting to get depressed, i just feel that i cant b bothered . Am worried that coz am not happy it will have some effect on the baby. I dnt really wanna have to tke medication, I kepp crying alot, which prob aint good for baby, am very moody too.

I have two other children and a hubby , and dnt want it to effect them . Not sure what to do.

Kelly

Hiya Kelly

Aw...I'm really sorry that you have lost someone clos to you recently, and this is obviously taking its toll. It is always very hard when someone who has been a part of your life passes away and difficult to see some days through.

It is important you communicate your feelings with your husband, so that he can support you, and talk to your best friends as they will be sure to understand and support you too.

I don't know how recently you lost your grandad, but it is obviously still very raw. My concern is that you are looking after yourself, and that you are getting the support needed from family and friends. The fact that you have been able to post this means you have good insight into your feelings, and it is natural to feel the way you feel.

Bear in mind that if you feel any lower it might be wise to discuss things with your GP as postnatally you are at risk of depression.

Chin up...I will be thinking of you. :D

Midwife ,

Hi ya had a really chat wiv my hubby last nite and feel so much better, i havn't been feeling quite so down today. I had a really good cry and that made me feel so much better. I have a midwife app on tues, so i will just mention it to her, but i honestly think, hubby made me feel lots better.

Thanks for the advice ( i lost my grandad 3 mths ago ) , i think its just finally sinking in .

Kelly :)

Hi Kieren,

Just a quick question. I am 31wks today & I have little red, what I can only describe as burst blood vessels all over my left leg?

Is this normal & will they go away? Do I need to be worried!

Many thanks

hi im 37 weeks and 2 days pregnant , and over the weekend i noticed my ankles swelling so i went to see my midwife and she said my stomachs swollen too and now when i sit down my clothes will leave a big dent or imprint in my stomach even though they are not tight, it is getting painfull when i walk it looks like iv got some baggy skin hanging off the bottom of my bump is this normal?? it is getting really painfull to wear clothes now please can u give me any advise????

Hi Kieran,
S here! I hope you're well and not too overwhelmed with work and the forum. Well my period arrived this morning. I had no pregancy symptoms so no huge expectations but I was still a little gutted. Silly I know. In my job and other aspects of my life when I decide to do something it happens so I think a lot of my frustration is because this is out of my control and I need to let mother nature take it's course. Any advice for the coming month other than to have sex with my husband?! I'm considering purchasing an ovulation kit as I have no evidence of when this happens - well not since we started trying. My period is 26, 27 or 28 days long, very rarely longer. Part of me thinks that I should just go with the flow and have sex every second day until my period arrives and the other part thinks it would be good to pinpoint when I ovulate so I know we tried on the days we should have.
I'm sure I'll feel more positive about it all tomorrow.
Thanks very much Kieran,
S

Hiya Carly

Just a quick question. I am 31wks today & I have little red, what I can only describe as burst blood vessels all over my left leg?

Is this normal & will they go away? Do I need to be worried!

These are known as "spider Veins" and are nothing to worry about. Some women are more susceptible to these than others and should disappear postnatally once your hormones settle. These are essentially little cappiliaries that expand loads during pregnancy due to the increasing circulation and the hormones that come into play. If you get them on your face, try to avoid extreme temperatures such as hot or cold as this only encourages them to appear.

Hope this reassures you :D

kieren

Hiya Little Unicorn

hi im 37 weeks and 2 days pregnant , and over the weekend i noticed my ankles swelling so i went to see my midwife and she said my stomachs swollen too and now when i sit down my clothes will leave a big dent or imprint in my stomach even though they are not tight, it is getting painfull when i walk it looks like iv got some baggy skin hanging off the bottom of my bump is this normal?? it is getting really painfull to wear clothes now please can u give me any advise????

It is common to get "Pitting Oedema" during the latter stages of pregnancy as you start to retain more fluid. i imagine your midwife took your blood pressure and would have sent you to the hospital if concerned. If you have any headaches/visual disturbances (flashing lights in front of your eyes or spotting)/constant abdominal pain (not like braxton hicks) then you must inform your midwife who should test your urine for protein and take your blood pressure.

Otherwise try not to worry as fluid retention in pregnancy is all too common - you wll find it gets much better postnatally.

Take Care

Kieren

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back