If I could ever be of any help...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by midwife_online, May 17, 2005.

1. BubbleOne

BubbleOne Well-Known Member

Hi Kieran,

I'm nearly 16 weeks pregnant with my first baby and was wondering if you had any advice on what to do about heartburn?

I have had it on and off since about 8weeks but for the last 2weeks it has been rearing its ugly head every evening (sometimes before I eat dinner) and it goes on until I fall asleep. It keeps me up at night and sometimes is so bad it makes me feel like I am going to be sick. Can I take heartburn tablets or might it harm my baby?
    If not tablets then what can I try?!!

2. jennyr1985

jennyr1985 Well-Known Member

Hi!!im jenny and 20 years old. Im sorry to bother you, but im very confused at the moment. I came off the pill in March. I had a period 6 weeks later (i knew this was because my body was getting back to normal) then i had a period two weeks after that on the 4th May. Now nothing for over 5 weeks. Ive had pregnancy symtoms, and i thought my period was coming when it should have, i had achy abdomen, sore boobs, but nothing!!!im getting bloated very quickly when i eat food now and go from hungry to not wanting to eat, and feeling sick every now and again. Is it possible i am pregnant, but ovulated later than i should have cos my body isnt back to normal yet? ive tested, but up to now still negative. Please help me, im getting down when im so sure im pregnant then i get a negative :(
    thankyou
    xxx

3. catherine23

catherine23 Well-Known Member

Hiya, Me again

Just wondered it it a worry that I ahvent had my blood test results back, I had them at 11 weeks then at 15 week appointment my midwife couldnt find them. And just said the hospital probably had them and will give me them on my 20 weeks scan. She seems like shes in another world half the time and doesnt really know what to say etc. So shes made me feel a little worried now, I had all of the tests done. Is there anther way for me to get my results as they seem to be floating around somewhere?
    Thanks
    Cat x

4. midwife_online

midwife_online Well-Known Member

I don't know really :? I think it would be best you see your GP. Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to reply for a crap response :(

Good Luck...let me know what you GP says :)

Kieren

5. midwife_online

Hiya s

I think the blood test can be pretty conclusive as it directly measures the HCG in your blood...the repeat test just shows if it is increasing, which it will do if you are pregnant.

Relax, enjoy the sunshine (it's lovely here) and you never know, you might just get what you are looking for :D

love

Kieren
    xx

6. midwife_online

Hiya Bubbleone

The best thing to use is Gaviscon..they now have an extra strength one. the reason for the heartburn is that whilst your womb gets bigger it pushes your stomach and other internal organs upwards, this means it is beginning to press on your tum - causing reflux. One of the nagging symptoms of pregnancy.

gaviscon whether fluid or tablets shouldn't harm the baby :D

Take Care

Kieren

7. midwife_online

Hiya Catherine

it is a bit of a worry that your midwife seems so disorganised (do you think she is pregnant too?? lol) Don't worry too much about your blood results, sometimes accessing the labs isn't always that easy, and they take a while to be sent to the midwife. If at you 20 week scan you still don't know your results, then push for some answers.

I'm sure they will crop up :D

Take Care

Kieren

8. midwife_online

Hiya trevinosbaby

I have quoted from an article I read a little while back that may help :D

As far as your period and dating is concerned...i am surprised it didn't pick up your pregnancy early on..it is more accurate a week after your period as you usually have a significant amount of HCG in your urine by then. if you are concerned request a dating scan from your midwife.

Hope this has been of some use :D

Kieren
    [/quote]

9. midwife_online

Hiya Jenny

Sorry I haven't got back to you...I've had a busy couple of days!!! :(

Um...with the pill it is a nightmare getting your periods back in sync at best it is usually recommended you don't try to conceive for at least 3 months after you have stopped the pill. This would explain your irractic periods.

As far as your pregnancy symptoms...yes it is possible you are pregnant, however I would advise you see your GP who will probably take a blood test to confirm, I suggest this as it would right now be difficult for you to assess whether or not you have missed a period in view of the irratic nature of them.

If you aren't pregnant, then I suggest you wait until your periods have regulated again before you try (if not leave at least 3 months...which I think it is now anyway).

Hope this makes sense :D

Kieren

10. joan

joan Well-Known Member

I keep hearing this, but why? The only reason I have heard is that it makes it easier to work out the dates, which seems administrative rather than medical. Is there any real reason not to try straight away (U/S can sort out the dates eventually)?

11. s

s Well-Known Member

Hi Kieran,
    Thanks for your lovely message. Enjoying the sunshine is much more important. Thankfully the blood test was conclusive and I'm not pregnant. Very happy with this result as I really didn't want to get off to a bad start with all sorts of worries. I want it to be an enjoyable experience. Giving my head a break for a while and not worrying about it all.If it happens, it happens. If not cest la vie. Have a lovely weekend. Hope you not working.
    S

12. midwife_online

Hiya Joan

Yes...there is some administrative benefit in waiting 3 months until you try to conceive, but there is amore sinister reason to try and wait...fetal malformations can occur with the hormones the pill leaves in your system...it can take 3 months before you hormones start levelling out..this is the main reason why I suggest 3 months!! :D

Take Care

Kieren

13. midwife_online

Hiya s

yes I'm going cycling with my wife this weekend which I have been looking forward to all week. Maybe we can discuss when we will be TTC :wink:

Have a lovely Weekend

love
    Kieren

14. s

s Well-Known Member

Wow are you trying for a baby or considering it? Wow, wow, very exciting.
    S

15. midwife_online

Yes...we are following the foresight regime at the moment - whole foods only no rubbish...no alcohol, no smoking, no caffiene. get our hair samples tested next month so that we can tell if we are in supreme health to conceive and for my wife to carry :D

Kieren

16. s

s Well-Known Member

Kieran,
    I don't know you but I'm so excited for you. I genuinely am. My God you'll have pregnancy overload soon between your job, us and your own personal project. My best wishes to you and your wife.
    Let me know what works :wink:
    Personal question. Are you having sex when you can or just around ovulation time? Sorry if that was too personal.
    S

17. s

s Well-Known Member

PS Sorry I mean are you both charting ovulation? It's just I'm not convinced it's between 12 - 16 days for me as I think I have EW today and my period would only have officially finished yeserday - if that makes sense!!
    S

18. midwife_online

we haven't started trying yet...so I gues just having sex when we feel like it :wink: we will try once we know our hair mineral analysis is right...if you want more information about the programme we are doing visit:

www.foresight-preconception.org.uk

Once that happens we will probably chart ovulation and go that way :)

love
    Kieren

19. joan

joan Well-Known Member

Thanks Kieren,

Have you got any references for this? I've googled and googled and not found anything solid. Stuff like this but it's harder to find papers that indicate there is a risk.

20. -Cat-

-Cat- Well-Known Member

Hiya Kieran,
    Thanks for your advice on my blood tests, I wonder now if its just because I had A- transfusions so I assumed I was A-? I will let you know anyway when I get the results.

I have another question for you which is a bit embarrasing and probably stupid. :oops:
    Since starting my second trimester my sex drive seems to have gone mental. I have always enjoyed a normal sex life, not been a raving nymph or anything. Everywhere I read it seams other people are the opposite and go right off sex during pregnancy, but I cant stop feeling horny, my battery operated friend gets used at least once everyday!
    Can you tell me is this just a hormonal thing that will calm down? and can I do the baby any harm or cause it distress by keep doing this? I know sex during pregnancy is fine, but is every day a bit to much?

Oh and good luck TTC!