I have to teach Further Maths now...

Kalia - what do u teach? I'm in scotland too ;)

I've recently finished the PGDE and I am on my probation year which I will miss some off and have to complete later on

Kalia, sounds like you're doing exactly what I'm intending to do a year or so after Connie is born - go back to teaching 2 days a week or something so that I still enjoy the classroom aspect but that it doesn't take over my life completely. What do you teach hun?

kalia said:
Do you want to train for primary or secondary, LMP (or are they called something else in England?)

Well ideally i would like to teach secondary, if i can hack it, I currently have a degree in Business Studies and 10 years experience being an office manager, so i think the only thing i can teach coming from that without retraining would be to teach Business Studies. But its a huge career change :shock:

I know what everyone says about it being hard work etc i have a lot of people warn me off which is why for years i;ve been putting it off. But the longing to give it a go won't go away despite the warnings and lately i've decided that at the end of the day if i don't like it i can leave and go back to what i am doing now.

I currently work around 50 hours a week and have a lot of responsibility etc and this is the fewest hours per week i've worked in a long time (cut back when got married then again when i got my BFP). so i'm not to afraid of working hard especially if i enjoy it (which i don't at the minute), its more my ability to be a good teacher and not let the kids and the school down and my class management skills etc that i worry about but i suppose i'll never know till i give it a try. :|

LMP x

I used to teach secondary French because I didn't get on to the primary teaching course. I thought I would hate it but I didn't know what else to do - I actually really liked it which was a good surprise :D Still had bad days, but overall things were fine.

Then 2 years ago a Primary French job was advertised for 3 days a week. It was a big financial risk but I decided to go for it and I'm so glad I did! I love teaching primary French!!! I teach 6 to 11 year olds and mostly they learn through ludique approaches - which is to say we sing songs, play games and read stories!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
And there's never been a shortage of supply teaching on the other two days. Now that I'm going to have baby there is no problem shifting to part time work - I'm just going to give up supply.

LMP, you'll be surprised at the things you can do. I think you should go for it. As for classroom management skills, as I said Bill Rogers is a very good read with excellent strategies. He wrote a thesis, possibly using the name William Rogers on starting with a new class and I would recommend reading that before meeting your first classes. I didn't find it until far later on in my first year of teaching and I wish I'd had it sooner. I am fairly certain my copy is at school somewhere. If you PM me your address if I can find it (that may be a big if, sometimes I lend these things out and they don't come back) I'll photocopy it and send it to you if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back