I feel like a terrible mum!

MissyAK

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been feeling quite down this week, I had a little cry earlier this evening and felt slightly ok-ish.

I have a 3 year old boy, he's very energetic, very chatty, bubbly but I feel that some of the things he does make me very frustrated and I end up telling him off.

I decided to leave my job last year and spend more time with him. A lot happened last year, with my dad passing away, suffering a miscarriage and just general low moods. I've since moved on a lot and started feeling a bit better about myself and my life.

Ive loved being at home and spending more quality time with him but its recently where I'm feeling more and more frustrated and negative with my life in general and he seems to end up on the receiving end of my bad mood, I feel so horrible writing this... he's only a child and I really do not want him growing up thinking his mum is such a moody woman.

I don't know what kind of response I want from this post but I think I needed to get it off my chest and just be open about how I'm feeling.

Oh Missy I know how you feel. My little boy is similar to yours and was 3 in Feb. He is a perfect child, he is so very good but in the moments where he isnt on best form or more so Im not I can get snippy! Its part of being a mum! If you werent bothered or didnt notice then that would make you a bad mum. You clearly have had some difficulties recently and maybe you neeed a little break for some time for yourself?
We all need a bit of me time and I find that when I get a bit of time I feel much more refreshed and appreciate my beautiful boy.
If you still continue to feel low maybe you could go to your GP?
Sending hugs xxx

You’re not alone in this! I think at some point ALL of us mums have had days/periods of feeling like an awful mum, I know I have! Kids are amazing and wonderful and... sometimes frustrating! That’s ok, it’s just kids learning and testing boundaries. For me, tiredness is a real game changer in terms of my mood but it comes hand in hand with having little ones doesn’t it! Please try not to give yourself a hard time, we all do the best we can and know how xx hope you’re ok xx

Completely identify with the post. You are not alone. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you’ve recognised you don’t want it to effect him so that’s really good in itself.

Hi MissyAK, I'm sorry to hear you feel this way . Are you entitled to receive 30 hours free childcare at nursery so you can have some time to yourself or maybe think about a part time job when you boy goes to nursery or starts school. I found myself feeling this way towards the end of my maternity leave. I live for my family but I needed more than just being a wife and mum. Going back to work part time helped me massively. I hope things look up for you soon x

I've been there! We often lash out at those closest to us, we're all human.

You cope with each other's tantrums and cheer each other up after.

Don't blame yourself, but if you feel guilty, I find a nice blanket, hot chocolates, snuggles and a movie help a lot. Tickle fights do too! Get the giggles flowing :)

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back