I am such a bad mum-Ruby fell downstairs :0(

Rubys mummy

Reaction score
God, I still feel sick thinking of it....

She was playing in the lounge, left her with daddy whil I went upstairs to sort some washing...forgot to close the baby gate behind me :x

Heard a giggle, looked over the bannister and she was up to th 4th step...I panicked and ran down to her, she thought I was chasing her and turned....
wham, she tumbled down and landed hard on the laminate floor in the hall. She sobbed for 5 mins, but soon calmed down in my arms, and she had no injurries thank GOD but I feel so awful :cry: :cry:

Have been shaking and felt sick all day

OH hasnt spoken to me all day either, he is so cross with me :?

I would never ever of forgiven myself if she had of been hurt :(

:hug: :hug: accidents happen hun, whys ur OH not talking to you? becoz if you left her in the lounge with him shudnt he have been keeping an eye on her?

Rubys mummy said:

She was playing in the lounge, left her with daddy whil I went upstairs to sort some washing...forgot to close the baby gate behind me :x

Heard a giggle, looked over the bannister and she was up to th 4th step...I panicked and ran down to her, she thought I was chasing her and turned....
wham, she tumbled down and landed hard on the laminate floor in the hall. She sobbed for 5 mins, but soon calmed down in my arms, and she had no injurries thank GOD but I feel so awful :cry: :cry:

Oh hun it can't be helped! Don't feel like a bad Mum, we've all been in situations like that, I certainly have a few times! Your OH shouldn't be cross with you though, you did leave her with him to look after, you can't be upstairs and looking after Ruby at the same time :hug: :hug:

I think ur OH is being a bit unfair accidents totally happen all the time hun, u are not the 1st mum to leave the gate open and child fall downstairs. Your not a bad mum at all ur a great mum :hug:

Listen 2 what i did new years eve, I burnt Sophie's finger so badly on my straightners, she ended up in hospital.......now surely that story makes u feel better :hug:

Accidents happen all the time :hug:

Awww hun, I am sorry to hear Ruby has had a bump - I know this won't reassure you - but its won't be her only one either.
DH left our stair gate open the other day, our lounge is on first floor and Lib was straight onto the landing and my heart lurched I've never moved so quick - she usually does the chase thing, but luckily she froze & I scooped her up - but I know exactly that tummy pang you had, as you imagine what could be/ is about to happen.
I am glad there are no real injuries, but more importantly you are NOT a bad mummy at all!! You are human, we all do things without thinking, heck - I even left the gate open when Cloud was here with Dylan by mistake - your OH will come round, don't beat yourself up - he knows you wouldn't have done anything like that intentionally, he'll come round.
Big hugs for you hun

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm editting this - never put enough thought into that your OH was supposed to be watching her in the lounge - maybe this is why he isn't talking to you - cos he knows he's in the wrong too and is placing the blame on you becuase he knows he should have been watching but if you'd shut the gate blah blah blah.........bet he's feeling as guilty as you are hun!!

Thank you girls, I am crying again at your lovely replies and the relief she is ok...I have kissed her to bits all afternoon :)

Em, I was just thinking the same thing about OH, maybe he feels guilty too as I had left her with him, and he really should of followed her out...she has climbed the stairs since she was tiny and shoots up like a flash but only when we are behind her normally

I m sure it wont be the last time she has a fall, I just feel so damned guilty :cry:

Its only natural to feel guilty - its part of what makes you a wonderful mummy :hug:

Awww hun! :hug: :hug: :hug: Don't be so hard on yourself! As others have said accidents happen! I think your OH will be feeling guilty too :hug:

I know exactly how you feel though I was going to post something similar as I was playing with Brody in the kitchen today and he was playing in a massive cardboard box (he loves it! :roll: :lol: ) and I have no idea why I moved away but I just turned to put something in the fridge and he'd flung himself forward and tipped the box over and fell flat on his face and banged his forhead :( Why on earth did I turn away?! I felt and still feel terrible but they are alot tougher than we think but it's a horrible feeling isn't it? :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

You are SO not a bad mummy! You are obviously an amazing mummy :hug:

aww hun, I know its hard but try not to feel so bad :hug: :hug: :hug: Dan has had a few knocks, fell of the bed a few times too as I/OH wasn't paying him our full attention :shock: :(
But accidents happen and I bet you won't forget to shut the stairgate for a long time!!! :lol:
I agree with Emmylou about your OH, think he's feeling a bit of guilt on his part too.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

aaawww bless you!!!! :rotfl:
When Dan fell off our bed I wouldn't let him on it for about a month, just in case! :roll: :lol:

I hope she is over it now, tho it was more oh's fault than yours.

Im sure I see stairgates in my sleep.

:hug: :hug: :hug: You arent a bad mummy hun, these things happen to us all. I bet she has forgotten all about it by now :hug: :hug: :hug:

Awww Zoe! :hug:
Don't beat yourself up about this...accidents happen.
I know what you mean though...Tom hurled himself out of his cot one night and I still get flashbacks of him lying on the floor crying...it was so upsetting.
BUT...they are resilliant little things and Roobs won't blame you for it! And you shouldn't either. You are a GREAT Mummy xx

aaarw Zoe, it doesnt mean ur a bad mummy at all - means u have a very curious little darlin! :lol:

Im sure she is fine, dont beat yourself up about it :hug: :hug:

Lydia fell down 10 stairs a couple of months ago. I nearly had a heart attack. She was shaken up but unhurt, but oh god I felt AWFUL. These things unfortunately do happen. You are not a bad mum.

Rubys mummy said:

don't beat your self up about it. these kind of things happen, it can't be help.
don't think it's your falt, and your OH is a bit out of order for makiing you feel even worse :shakehead:

I've done the same thing hun, Thea fell down our stairs when she was about 11 months .Its frightening but it was an accident. Try not to beat yourself up over it, i promise Ruby has already forgotten it happened.
Give your OH a kick for making you feel worse, i think that guilt talking because he knows he should have been watching Ruby and she wouldnt have got up the stairs at all.

:hug: I've been there hun. She is alright so don't beat yourself up about it :hug: Isaac has had a few knocks and bumps that could so easily have been avoided but bumps happen and we live and learn eh!? :roll: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back