terrifying moment today

pilkers

Reaction score
Evie choked today :(

It was probably THE most awful experience of my whole life. She was happy playing and then she sounded like she was burping or going to be sick so I had a look at her and wasn't too worried because she sometimes is a little sick but swallows it back down (like a sick burp iykwim) anyway...she must have swallowed it down the wrong hole.

she couldn't breathe, she was gasping for air and trying to cough. It was horrific. I panicked (of course). I was hitting her back etc and nothing was happening. She was getting a bit frantic. My dad managed to make her sick and she seemed to be better. It took about half an hour for her to calm down and start breathing normally though.

I had the phone in my hand at one point ready to call 999.
I don't know if anyone else has ever been through this experience...I expect some of you have at some point.

It's really shaken me up. I'm terrifed of it happening again and being on my own. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

bless you :hug: haven't had that but my liitle boy stopped breathing twice when he was 2 days old and he was in hospital turned out he forgot to breathe :shock: little monkeys!
What did she choke on?

That is so scary, I'm glad it worked out ok!

My daughter choked when she was 3. she was eating lunch at the table one day and I was washing up when I turned around to check on her she was sat with tears streaming down her face with her hands on her throat.

I realised something was wrong by the panic in her eyes but she made absolutly no sound about it! After some slaps to her back a big piece of apple came free. We were both so shaken up! I was just shocked by the lack of noise she made.

annaespana1 said:
bless you :hug: haven't had that but my liitle boy stopped breathing twice when he was 2 days old and he was in hospital turned out he forgot to breathe :shock: little monkeys!
What did she choke on?

her own spit I think. I think she burped a little bit of sick up and she swallowed it but it went down the wrong hole because she was trying to make noises and chatter at the same time.

Aww, hun. That must have been SO scary., Glad she is ok and of course that you are too xxxxxxxx

awh hun!

i can suggest you everyone looking at http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/safety/chokingguide/

when charlotte was 13m i gave her grapes (she had had them loads of times before) she didnt bite one and just must have breathed it down.. i shit myself..grabbed her out of the highchair and did this ^ in baby center and it shot out on the 2nd wak she was paniky for about half an hour, if you can get on to your health visitor see if there are any free courses you could go on for 1st aid for children? xxx

Austin choked on a piece of apple when he was about 10 months old, I was at my sisters & I completely froze - it was Jess who calmly dislodged it :) I was so scared, I cried my eyes out. Partly because it had happened and partly because I froze. I'm sure that if I had been on my own I would have done what I needed to though.

i would have been petrified, glad your both ok xxx

lisa&alex said:
awh hun!

i can suggest you everyone looking at http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/safety/chokingguide/

when charlotte was 13m i gave her grapes (she had had them loads of times before) she didnt bite one and just must have breathed it down.. i sh*t myself..grabbed her out of the highchair and did this ^ in baby center and it shot out on the 2nd wak she was paniky for about half an hour, if you can get on to your health visitor see if there are any free courses you could go on for 1st aid for children? xxx

Thats why I'm so scared Lisa...I'm a fully qualified first aider and I have had extensive training in choking situations. I totally panicked. Didn't sleep last night. It just kept going round and round in my head. I'm convinced it's going to happen again and I know where I went wrong and what I should have done but I'm terrrified I'll freeze up again.

It has really really freaked me out. I'm sure that as the days pass the worries will lessen but atm I feel like I have knots in my stomach and I'm constantly checking her.

I had this last week- must be an 'Evie Thing' :roll:

I have now enrolled onto a baby resussitation course- just in case. maybe ask your HV if they have one near you to?

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: I know how scary it is- hope she is ok now xx

Tally stopped breathing after she swolloed/breathed in bath water. I swear it was the scariest thing ever!! She was choughing but not quite managing and not breathing in after, went bright purple and in the end Dave had to pick her up and bounce her a little. She cried to hard after and i spent the rest of the night cuddling her.

It's an awful thing and i didnt really know what to do either, but i was squished in the bath and unable to move much. I also had the awful thought of omg by the time i call and ambulance and they get here she'll be dead.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hopefully you'll never have to experience it again

abcd1234 said:
Tally stopped breathing after she swolloed/breathed in bath water. I swear it was the scariest thing ever!! She was choughing but not quite managing and not breathing in after, went bright purple and in the end Dave had to pick her up and bounce her a little. She cried to hard after and i spent the rest of the night cuddling her.

It's an awful thing and i didnt really know what to do either, but i was squished in the bath and unable to move much. I also had the awful thought of omg by the time i call and ambulance and they get here she'll be dead.

Hopefully you'll never have to experience it again

thats exactly what happened with Evie, except it was her own spit/posset. She was wet through with sweat after the event.

Lily did it about a month ago on a bit of strawberry. She just started backing noises like when a cat is being sick and went purple with spit just coming out her mouth :( I picked her up and did that chocking position, BUT if my mum hadnt told me how to do it the day before I dread to think what would of happened :(

pilkers said:
annaespana1 said:
What did she choke on?

her own spit I think. I think she burped a little bit of sick up and she swallowed it but it went down the wrong hole because she was trying to make noises and chatter at the same time.

Must have been horrible for you and her. Sick is acidy so it couldn't have been nice, suprised if she didn't have a sore throat after, little duck :hug:

Hi daughter has, she was eating toast or something and must have put alot in her mouth. I was home alone and really panicking, she went red and then started to be bluish quite soon, i grabbed her and put her over my lap and tapped (maybe thats not the word to use coz it was quite hard as i was panicking) several times and the food finally came out. I just didnt know what to do i didnt want to leave her to get the phone as it was the other side of the room. It is worrying but putting them over your lap and tapping them quite hard seemed to work and ive since been told that is the best thing to do, and if it doesnt seem to be working to try and make them sick. thats the two things i would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back