How on earth do I tell my mum?!

luci

Reaction score
I'm 12 weeks pregnant today, and really need to get round to telling my mum. I'm 24, and have been with my OH for over 2 years, so its a very secure loving relationship. And now we're over the initial surprise, we're both excited and looking forward to being a little family :)

His family all know, and are very excited and supportive. My little brother knows, and didn't really react in anyway (he's only 19, think thats quite typical for a boy haha)
However, I need to tell my mum, as my OH's family are arranging a little celebration for us next week, and I want my mum to be there. I am so worried about telling her!! Especially as I also need to tell her that I have dropped out of uni!

Any ideas on where to start?? My OH is really on my case to tell her, as his family have known for quite a while, and he doesnt want them to have to lie about when they all found out. I'm in Cardiff and my mum is in Bournemouth, so it has to be over the phone really. I'm going home for the night tomorrow, but will have my friend and his niece with me (we're taking her to paultons park for the day) so can't really break the news in front of him, especially as he doesnt know.

Think I'm going to explain leaving it so long, by explaining I wanted to wait until the 12 week mark. Think she's going to be disappointed in me :( doesnt help that we're having a lot of family problems recently, my dad is terminally ill, and my great grannie had a heart attack on sunday :(

Please, if anyone has any ideas or tips, please help!!

I think honesty is the best policy hun, just call her and say you have some news for her. (She may guess what it is if you say that) Then say you are going to be a grandma then play it by ear really. The longer you leave it i think the more disappointed she would be that you didnt tell her sooner. xx

Maybe with recent family problems, it'll be nice to have some good news being told? I'd try not to worry too much about her reaction. At the end of the day, it won't change anything. And even if she did react bad, she would come round eventually. Just be honest and open with her. Maybe explain to her that you were concerned about telling her for fear of letting her down? But say that you and your oh are over the moon and feel ready for this.xx

My parents were not over the moon, they didn't congratulate us or anything, but I just came out with it.

But now, they are more supportive than any of my OH family, they have gone out and bought a cot, and a pram, as they want to see the baby as much as they can. It did take a little while to sink in, don't worry, it will be ok.

I had a similar situation. I just rung her and blurted it out. It must've come out as gobbledegoop and she made me repeat myself but she's so happy about it! Just get it out! She may surprise you!

I rang her earlier as I had a missed call off her, but after she kept chatting about random things, i lost my nerve :( tried calling her back, but she isn't answering now :s Am so worried about how she's going to react!

Wouldnt worry too much hun as she will find out sooner or later so i would say sooner is better. Plus its better coming from you than anyone else. You might be suprised, i found out i was pregnant 2 months after my dad passed away and i was so worried about telling my mum but good news is just what she needed x

I told her! I rambled on a bit, but got to the point pretty quickly. She just went "oh right. I'm with Helen (her friend) at the moment, I'll ring you back in about 5 mins" then she rang me back, and she seems really excited she's coming to cardiff on friday, then travelling to yeovil with my OH and I for a little celebration with his family I feel so relieved that she knows now My friend and his niece are going to Bournemouth tomorrow, but he doesnt know yet, so we're going to sneak off for a bit on the sunday to go in and see my dad to tell him
Now I can just do the fun bits of telling friends, I didnt want to tell them before, because I didnt want mum to be the last to know

Yay !! Glad it went well Hun and like others have said your mom is prob grateful of the good news x x

So pleased it went smoothly for you, there's nothing better than a supportive mum to help you through the highs and lows. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back