how much?

lulu

Reaction score
How much baby food do you give?

Jack has just started to take solids (advised from the H/V to start weaning)

He has porridge for breakfast and either some kind of vegetable at dinner or fruit on a teatime.
It doesnt say on the tins or in any info I have how much you are supposed to give each feed???
Jack is having about 4-5 spoonfuls each time (baby spoonfuls) but he still has some milk after.

Am I doing it right? what do you guys do? how much are you advised to give?

Kacy lets me know how much soilds she wants and how much milk she wants she has about half of a tin of baby food then about half an hour to an hour later she will take her milk some times all of it but some times just 3 oz but i only give her soilds twice a day.

i started of giving Dior 1 rusk mixed with milk, she would have it once a day about 12 and eat it all,

then after a week i gave her some ready break in morning and a tin of baby food about 2pm one of the lil jars from the shop she would eat that too..

then ready break in morning one jar about 1pm then a jar at 5pm

i found the jars easier at first...

Hiya Lu

For the most part, go with what your baby wants to eat. Each baby is different and you can only be guided by what suits your baby best .If Jack only wants to eat 1 or 2 spoonfuls - Thats fine. As your babys milk intake shouldn't be reduced when you first start introducing solids, it won't matter if he does not want to eat much in the way of solids.
Ky only had the odd mothful at four months.

Good luck!

i was told to give milk before feed as milk is still more important than solids, abi has milk then when we started it was as much as she wanted normally half a jar twice a day and for about 2 weeks she's been eating a whole jar twice a day or equivilent of i make my own now. She did have breakfast yesterday too but didn't wake up until lunch time today lol

After Damien has had his bottle he doesn;t always seem that he would be bothered with fod, and sometimes he does. What meal in the day do you start on? Breakfast, lunch or tea?

Sami try it you'll be suprised Abi doesn't always dring all her bottle if i give her bottle before or if i'm breast feeding she always comes off herself she doesn't seem hungry but she'll still eat solids, if he really doesn't want it after a bottle he's orobably not ready for solids yet :)
Abi has food at lunch tome and at tea time :)

He seems hungry still after his first, second and fourth bottles, the third and last (dreamfeed) he seems quite content.
The books I read say before milk but I guess it makes sense to do it after milk to see if they are really hungry.

give him a try after any feed i dont stick to any definate times and they do say to try different times through the day, i think Abi will be going on to half milk before and half after soon as the HV said to stick how i was for now and theyd see how she's doing next time we go which is Monday so will let you know.

dionne said:
i started of giving Dior 1 rusk mixed with milk, she would have it once a day about 12 and eat it all,

then after a week i gave her some ready break in morning and a tin of baby food about 2pm one of the lil jars from the shop she would eat that too..

Dionne did you give Dior normal ready brek? I didn't think you were supposed to as it contains too much salt for a baby? :?

rosieroo said:
dionne said:

Dionne did you give Dior normal ready brek? I didn't think you were supposed to as it contains too much salt for a baby? :?

I checked the packaging on mine (for my 4 year old not Brody yet lol) and it says just "Trace" amounts of sodium.

Annabel carmen says it's ok after 6 months:

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/6-92.htm

Elliott is nearly 19 weeks and is having two tablespoons (two ice cubes) of veg puree mixed with formula at 11 after most of his milk and three in the evening at 5.30- followed at 6.30 by his milk. I've kept a careful note of how much milk he was taking before I started him on solids and now and he isn't taking any less milk now than he was- it has stayed exactly the same in fact. I actually wonder if what I thought was teething at 3 1/2 months was hunger for something more substantial but I'm not sure! We had been having a bad time between 5-8pm before weaning- he would drain 8oz of milk and still be all tearful until he fell into a deep sleep. Given his hunger at 5.30 I'm not surprised now!!

He has always been a hungry and large baby though. I tried him on some baby rice for breakfast the other day as he is starting to really yell for his 11am food and milk but he wasn't interested in breakfast so I'm not too worried about that for now. So far he's had baby rice which he's not too fussed about, carrot, parsnip and sweet potato.

+++

I did my first batch of ice cubes today, one tray of carrot and one tray of sweet potato :)

urchin said:
rosieroo said:
dionne said:

I checked the packaging on mine (for my 4 year old not Brody yet lol) and it says just "Trace" amounts of sodium.

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/6-92.htm

Thanks for the info Urchin

I just remember a news story from a couple years ago, about a baby that died due to the amount of salt in their system. They blamed it on the parents who had been feeding the baby Ready Brek etc. The baby must have been much younger.

started of giving Dior 1 rusk mixed with milk, she would have it once a day about 12 and eat it all,

Dionne did you give Dior normal ready brek? I didn't think you were supposed to as it contains too much salt for a baby?

I asked my HV on Tuesday about giving babies normal cereal they said it's ok but if possible to stick with the baby ones as they have the right amount of iron and other nutritional stuff, she did say to try a bit if i wanted but to mainly give the baby one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back