How much is too much sleep? A long post by a worried mom.

Kc296612

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a daughter that is nearing 13 months old.

Normally, she sleeps 10-12 hours at night and then takes an early nap (1-2 hours). She sometimes takes a second nap, and if so, that's around 1-1.5 hours in the evening (4-5pm).

Yesterday she was up all day, except for 1 early nap.

Today the sitter told me she was basically asleep all day... she slept 13 hours last night normal... then napped from (10-1) then fell asleep again from 215-430. By 730 she is yawning and putting her head down, though still awake (its 830 now).

Her bed time is between 830-930pm.

Last night she did toss and turn quite a bit (back teeth coming in) she has also coughed a few times today.

I guess I'm super scared because:

1) I had childhood leukemia at 7 years old. I have been in remission for 16 years and spoke to my oncologist before becoming pregnant and he said the type of Leukemia I had was not hereditary).

2) I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 9 weeks into the pregnancy and it took nearly 8 weeks to get my levels under control. They did check her levels at birth and they were good.

I may be unnecessarily worrying. I hope it's just teething and restless sleep and a fluke. Has anyone had a toddler randomly sleep a long time? I am asking the doctor for bloodwork tomorrow.

Oh it could be many things! Id only be worried if it was something that had been going on for a while. An extra sleepy day or two is nothing to worry about. Is she happy and alert when she's awake? If something was really wrong she'd have no energy. Did she seem to eat more the day before all the sleep? Often they'll eat loads then sleep loads and then the next day they've shot up. Growth spurts definitely make my bub sleep more than usual. She could also be getting a cold or just catching up on the sleep she missed the day before. xx

Oh it could be many things! Id only be worried if it was something that had been going on for a while. An extra sleepy day or two is nothing to worry about. Is she happy and alert when she's awake? If something was really wrong she'd have no energy. Did she seem to eat more the day before all the sleep? Often they'll eat loads then sleep loads and then the next day they've shot up. Growth spurts definitely make my bub sleep more than usual. She could also be getting a cold or just catching up on the sleep she missed the day before. xx

Thank you for putting my mind somewhat at ease! Though she was yawning at 730, she ended up staying awake until 11 (without any coaxing from me)! So, that gives her about 11 hours of awake time, which, if I follow guidelines online, seems about normal. She did eat a bunch yesterday and had a restless sleep, so I am hoping that growth and catching up is all it is. I just see so much of myself in her, I worry she will suffer the same illnesses. I told my husband, "she has my looks, but I sure hope she has your health!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back