• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much have you spent?

LouiseB

Reaction score
Hi ladies :) Hope the pregnancies are going well - not far off popping now :good:

I'm hoping to become a mum before this time next year but we are trying to figure out our money situation and take it into consideration.

So, i'm just wondering how much you have spent on everything you need for the baby - assuming it's your first.

To do up the nursery, bedroom furniture, car seat, bottles, nappies - you name it.

This is my first and I haven't speant alot but I have everything thanks to friends, family, carboots and lots of second hand things. Hopefully you'll have a LO on the way soon =). There is ways to get everything you need and of good quality. I would rather buy second hand quality goods than new cheap ones, if that makes sense. x

It's my first pregnancy n in total I've spent around £600.
With the help of family n friends giving me stuff.

We've been given a hell of a lot of stuff, hardly bought anything except the pram which I wanted to get myself :) My stepmum got me nearly everything I needed for nursery off carboots and it's all decent quality!

Clothes are brilliant to get second hand as half the time they are barely worn and you can save alot of money. x

We've tried to keep the spending down and I've been determined not to buy loads of stuff that we'll never use. We've got some second hand stuff and some new stuff, don't know many people with small children who we can beg or borrow from. So far we've probably spent about 500 quid ish, maybe a little more. We've also not done the nursery yet, that's something for the future!

This is my first and we were trying for our baby for 2 and a half years so we had saved a lot. I had two savings accounts, 1 for baby things and 1 for extra money to make up my wages when I'm on maternity leave. We've had some help but to be honest very little. I've not counted it all up but we have got everything brand new except some clothes (and I've bought some myself). We could have done things cheaper if we wanted but I'd saved a long time and we were lucky enough to be able to buy exactly what we wanted. I think we may have spent about £2000, more if you include getting the nursery plastered and re carpeted etc but I don't add that in. I know it sounds like a lot but like I said I'd been saving for nearly 3 years! And we are hoping to have another and we will reuse a lot of stuff. Good luck when you in your quest to get pregnant I truly hope you get pregnant.

I've spent about £50 so far and will be spending another £120 i was given most things by my neighbour and then NCT sales are a life saver Hope you get your bfp soon hunxx

Hey :)
This is my first, and I have a mix of 2nd hand and new stuff. I'll try and list what I've spent on each thing;
Travel system £359 grace Symbio on sale in toys r us
2nd hand cot with mattress £100 (it was all only a month old-they say you should buy a new mattress but this had only been used for a month so just using that)
And about £100 on bits and pieces, clothes and nappies. I have been given bagloads of clothes so have only bought a few little things, I have like 3 towels, 20 Muslins and a few packs of nappies. As long as you look out for all the bargains and sales you can't go wrong!
So we have spent about £600. And probably have enough stuff til baby is about 6 months old! Then will need to buy food as weaning, some more clothes that are bigger, all that sort of thing!
Hope that's helped. I have stocked up on like buy one get one frees on Nappies, and boots had a massive sale on baby wipes and it was 6 packs for £3.88 so got 2 of them, so ive got stuff like that to last a lifetime!
As long as you buy as you go, you can't go wrong. We havent got a lot of money at all, but we will manage :) x

Well this is my last, but it's like a first baby as my kids are 11, 9 and 8 and sok we passed everything that was not worn out by us on to others years ago, so it's like starting again, we had nothing! I have prob spent upto £150 now,brought a breastpump, a manual one too, in asda sale, a breastfeeding cushion and apron and a few baby bits inc breastpads etc.(sure there will be more needed , but supermarket own stuff is great now)

My sister has passed on most of her stuff , inc pushchair and car seat, and lots clothes for later on, and moses basket and sheets for that. A good mate gave me the cot and mattress, and I have been naughty and not replaced it. It has a washable zipp off padded top which i washed, and it came from a home I know and non snoking one, so ok for me. I only brought newborn and 0-3 babygrows and lots of bits, bath towels, snowsuit etc, came from the car boot for a bargain £5.20 total!!!

You really can make it suit your budget if you want to, there never is a right time to have a baby! More inportant to worry about the loss of wages etc , to cover morgage, bills etc that sort of money, the baby stuff you can sort easily with sales, carboots and mates.

The expense seems to start with swimming lessons, school outings, school hols, cinema for family, cubs and scouts, etc!!

Last edited:
i think ive roughly spent about 900 quid on amy the cot the pram travel system and quite abit of her clothes were all bout for her so saved a bit there ive bought all her bottles nappies wipes soe clothes some milk if ive ran out of tokens some more clothes toys and a few other bits and bobs

Clothes are brilliant to get second hand as half the time they are barely worn and you can save alot of money. x

So true, most of the stuff I've got second hand is from Next baby or John Lewis and I never would've been able to afford that stuff brand new! Some of it even has tags on!

Can I just say i've realised i've probably speant less than 500 as my grant has covered everything. lol xXx

the main thing iv bought is my double buggy wich cost £490
On everything else, nappies, clothes, crib, moses basket, sheets, everything like that 80% of it was from ebay or carboots bar the carseat and iv spend about £280 on ll of that, so about £800 altogether.

Shit me I didnt realise id spent that bloody much until now :shock: :rotfl:

Shit me I didnt realise id spent that bloody much until now :shock: :rotfl:

I know what you mean!

I was getting close to 3k and decided to stop as it was depressing me. I worked so hard when I was pregnant doing every scrap of extra work I could to pay for baby things. I'm really proud I paid for absolutely everything myself but in all honesty you don't need the top spec stuff and I wish I'd not worked as much and enjoyed the pregnancy more. My pram for example was £935. It's absolutely ridiculous writing that down now and a part of me feels ashamed I spent so much when in reality it's no better or different to a £200 one. Yes it's a super duper pram with lots of gadgets but I wouldve survived quite fine with something a quarter of the price. That extra money could've gone towards the mortgage now that SMP has kicked in.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?

we've spent under £500. we still had all the things from my DD and my OH mum and dad have brought the pram.

I bought everything in the sales:

Cot £128 mamas and papas
Mattress £42 boots
Changer/chest of drawers £180 mamas and papas
Car seat £99 britax
Luna mix pram £210 (mum and dad bought that)
Moses basket stand £25
Rocker £45
Mobile £20
Clothes £who knows! At least £200 but I have clothes until she is 18months old
Play mat £25 precious planet
NAppies and wipes (I had 45 packs of wipes before she arrived and over 1000 assorted nappies)
Nappy bin £9.99
Nappy bin refills £9.99 x 9 (27 cartridges I use one a month)
Changing bag £62 radley (my treat)
Toys £50 fisher price will last forever!
Toiletries £10
Tommee tippee breast pump, bottles, steriliser £45 ish Asda baby event

I bought things as I went, I bought it all in the sales, the dreser was meant to be £250 and the cot £160, all the clothes have been half price or less.

Check out the asda baby events as they have some amazing bargains.
Good luck!

We've tried to save money where possible but not to cut any corners on the important stuff. Some highlights include:

Double Pram (Zoom Tandem including car seats and carry cots) - Ebay - £350
1 cot - Ebay - £9.99
1 cot - Ebay - £1.04
Reuseable nappies from birth to potty - Ebay - various buys totalling about £200
Baby clothing (next to the skin) - Tescos - around £60
Baby clothing (other layers) - Ebay - around £50
Electric Breastpump - Ebay - £100

Things like snow suits for newborns will be only useful for a few weeks as they grow so quickly so why not buy second hand? They're perfectly clean, only been used a few times and a couple of quid from Ebay.

I hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back