How many months before seeing a doctor?

Water_Melon

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering how many months you think of trying for a baby (with no positives) before thinking something is wrong and seeing the doctor?
6 months? A year?
xxx

I went to the doctor after 7 months hun but my periods are all over the place! What are your cycles like? xxx

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but i think the general rule of thumb is 12 months of ttc with regular sex? There is absolutely nothing stopping you going earlier but the GP may ask you to come back again nearer the 12 month stage. If you are worried about anything then it is worth making an appointment with them. Would the NICE guidelines (you can google them) be able to tell you a bit more?

Good Luck honey.

I went after 7 hun and got all the tests done straight away. Got referred in august and have been ttc for a year now. Really it depends on your gp as mine never mentioned anything about waiting till we'd been tt for 12 months + However i do know some girls on here who have been told to wait longer xx

NICE guidelines are 12 months of regular unprotected sex unless there are other issues eg pcos or if you are over 35 xxx

Thanks for the advice :)

We have been talking about it around 6-7 months, been trying for about 5. I know some doctors will think that too early but I'm dying to get something sorted.
My cycles aren't exactly reliable. One month I can have a cycle of 30 odd days, the next 40 odd. Doesn't seem normal :( Makes it really hard to figure out when I'm ovulating. (I have tried the tests too)

Nicky_1987, do you mind me asking what tests did they exactly do?

I had an ultrasound and then an internal scan. The internal scan showed that i have "features" of Polycystic ovaries. So the doctor then ran blood tests that tested my thyroid, insulin levels and all my hormones. My thyroid and insulin levels came back normal as did all my hormones except my testosterone levels which are raised. Doctor thinks i def have PCOS so have been referred to the gyno! Got my first appointment with him on monday!

My cycles since coming off microgynon have been 144 days and then 129 days. (cant remember how long my first cycle was but it was between oct and christmas last year) So in a year ive only had 3 cycles!!!

Were you on BC hun? xx

Nope, have hardly ever been on it. I did go to the doctors about a year ago now because I was concerned how irregular my periods were. They did a blood test and it came back normal... I'm not sure if that was a test for PCOS.
I just can't help but feel something is wrong with me and I'll never fall pregnant. My sister could never carry but I'm sure this sort of thing isn't genetic....

I really hope your appiontment goes ok on monday xxx

FX for you too Water_Melon. Grrr it's difficult if you can't predict your cycle. You might be disappointed by what the doctor says if you go now :( Sorry if I'm not much help, all I can say is BD every other day when you can but I'm sure you are already doing everything you can.

Do you know how you can promote the EWCM which helps the swimmers swim and stay alive in your cervix? I read on here primrose oil and green tea are good for this. xxx

I agree with Nicky that if you have a reason to think that there is something wrong, then you should go to see a doctor asap BUT i'm not sure how seriously they'd take your 30-40 cycle length as it is within the realms of normal.

I went after 5 months of ttc, but my husband is a diabetic which can impact fertility.

If you do decide to see the doctor early without anything majorly wrong, then you have no choice but to lie about how long you have been trying if you want to force the issue.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for getting diagnosed asap, but once you open that can of worms it can really stress you out and there is no backing down.

Even if they don't find anything wrong, you won't believe them.

Last edited:
If its really stressing you out then yeah you should go talk to your doctor about it but as Louise said once you start having all the tests and have a diagnosis it does get a hell of a lot more stressful and it can put a lot of pressure on you as a couple. So i think you need to be at a point where you are ready to explore every avenue possible.

You could always try and relax for a month or so and see what happens.

Keep us informed on how you get on hun xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back